main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Friend, I know. It was a joke about ignorant Americans, hence the gif.

2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    But it gave me an excellent reason to post paintings by Akseli Gallen-Kallela and Don Rosa:D

Lugija likes this.
  3. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Oh, I'm well aware of what the original language was. I was just going by my own childhood memories, which are of the King James-esque language of the English version. It wasn't so much the Inca prince's knowledge of English that struck me so much as his perfect use of "thou" and related forms—something not all real-life native speakers have a handle on!

4. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    Fair point, well made.

Lugija and Gamiel like this.
  5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I am neutral in this fight. I do not like the Swedish monarchy, but Finland doesn't even have a monarchy. So I guess that makes them even.

I have been to a gala at the Swedish embassy though. It's all weird and modern. Environmentally sound and made with lots of glass.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What is wrong with the Swedish monarchy? Not militant enough?

We are good with glass, or were at least I think many of our glassworks have to close down:(

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The House of Bernadotte was born out of treachery.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I think you mean elected to the crown or that Holstein-Gottorpska lost the crown through treachery

9. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I think I have mentioned this before but when we got our indepedence from Lenin we considered either electing a president or getting a prince from Germany to wear the crown. Then Germany lost the WWI and it would have been awkward, so president it was. But he was given a lot of special powers to appease those who wanted a king.

In the last three decades those powers have been reduced a lot so that our elected president curiously has the same diplomatical and one-time-veto powers as the Skandinavian monarchs. The "power" as it is is divided between the goverment members. The country is ruled by the holy principle of "concensus", meaning that no matter who is in charge the decisions made will not change that much, because we can't affect the situations in the world.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  10. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh, neither. The circumstances of his gaining the crown aren't my issue. I mean "born of" to refer specifically to him as a whole. He was a marshal of France before he was a king, and as a king he betrayed his former emperor.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Edit: Lugija, I wonder why new monarchies always have to have German princes. It's really weird. Is it just that it's preferable to have a pre-existing house, and Germany is stuffed full of princely houses? I guess that is less complicated than elevating a native family and dealing with "why them and not me?"

11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    But should not his loyalty to his subject be greater then to his old lord that let him go?

12. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    As a matter of being a good monarch, absolutely. But that doesn't mean his old master or those who support him have to like it. :p

Louis Bonaparte tried the same thing. Unfortunately for him, the Netherlands were close enough to France that Napoleon just stripped him of his crown and annexed his country. :p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Edit: but to be fair to the Bernadottes, they seem really chill. The king and his family went to the Sochi games dressed like regular dudes and looked like they were having a good time. It was pretty funny.

13. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    More prestige? :confused:
    I have wondered that myself but have never tried to get an answer. There's also the curious thing that the whole independence movement was very nationalist, with collecting our own national epoch Kalevala, playing Sibelius' Finlandia, sporting our own colors in the Olympics and so on, and then we try to get the nation's ruler from Germany? I'm confused.

14. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013

I want this song to play all the time when you're running over rooftops in this game. Or just all the time in general.

15. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Precisely. If you want a car, you go to a place that deals in cars. If you want clothes, you go to somewhere that sells clothes: if you want princes, you go the place that grows them like leaves on a tree.

TrakNar likes this.
  16. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    That's one of the top 2 AC2 tracks, the other is Ezio's Family, that kicks all kinds of arse!

17. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
  18. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    ADMIRAL ACKBAR IS SLIPPY. YES.

TrakNar likes this.
  19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Ah, I missed your post from a few days ago about getting to AC2.

Isn't it magnificent? AC1 was a decent hit, but AC2 knocks it out of the park. It's just on an entirely different level. And the best part is that the two spinoffs, AC:B and AC:R, just keep going and going, advancing forward on all levels.

I'm glad and relieved that you like AC2. My credibility survives another day :p

(and yes, the music is fantastically atmospheric).

20. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    New X-Men trailer, can't wait:

21. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    The first time I had one of those annoying bards run up to me, only for Ezio to punch him in his talentless off-key throat and have him stagger away moaning, it sold the game for me. Especially doing it in Florencia or other places the Medici cape makes your notoriety a non-factor. I threw one into a Venetian canal, as well, along with every archer who gets in my way. :D

I still prefer the Batman: Arkham games, but that's just because I like being able to glide after I jump off a building instead of having a fall to my death long enough to ponder my own carelessness. That and stealth is a lot more important in those games because of the prevalence of firearms, meaning that even moving around the game world is different from ACII, where you only try for stealth if you're on a mission or don't want to be inconvenienced a bit. In Batman, you hide because if you don't, you'll die.

22. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
  23. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    The Loyal Imperial -- I'm gonna give Dunnett's "The Game of Kings" another crack.

Wish me luck.

(I mean, I'm partially named after the main character so, y'know, reading the books should be a priority! :p )

The Loyal Imperial likes this.
  24. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Remember: much smoother sailing after the first hundred pages. If you can get over thirty, you'll be ahead of Jello. And it won't all make sense until you're almost done. :p

25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm pretty convinced that this is a conspiracy by LI to engage my competitive instincts and goad me into reading further.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.