main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Jimmy was already dead by 2002. Not that the people here were willing to accept that...

We had some crazy delusions back then.

Yes, I suppose it is possible that you are a robot masquerading as a human being.

CooperTFN and MercenaryAce like this.
  2. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    So, yeah, happy Star Wars day, y'all.

May the Fourth be with you, etc.

Here's a gif depicting the moment I fell in love with Star Wars:

[​IMG]

EDIT:

You know, I sometimes seriously think that my love of Darth Vader came about as a result of being raised by a single mother. I always in my heart hoped that one day I'd learn he was MY dad, and I kind of resented Luke for rejecting his offer at the end of ESB.

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING! YOU HAVE A BADASS DAD WHO WANTS TO TEACH YOU AWESOME POWERS AND YOU'RE GOING TO JUMP AWAY!? NOOO!"

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I actually thought Vader was lying. And thought that, given how much Luke had really wanted to know his father, it was really low for Vader to go there.

I fell in love with Star Wars during the ROTJ throne room scene. Hence my user name.

As far as today, the kids and I are going to this.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  4. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    James earl Jones thought Vader was lying as well.

5. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    This would be golden for that "SW Misconceptions You Had as a Kid" thread in the Community forum. :)

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Man, Star Wars Day is strange. I will never stop feeling weird that other people actually like Star Wars. :p

7. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    I know, right? My Facebook and Twitter feeds are both filled with people from completely unrelated franchises or companies wishing everyone Happy Star wars Day, or May the 4th be with you. The Mythbusters did it, Mentalfloss magazine did, even the local sports teams, the Bears and the Cubs, both did. It's like it's a popular franchise or something. Very strange.

8. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    It's always awkward at a party or something when people start talking about Star Wars, like really engagedly. Sometimes one or two people might even bring up the EU and talk about it, and I'll just sit there thinking "THIS IS SO WEIRD PLZ TALK ABOUT SOMETHING ELSE." :p

I guess I am just used to the early 90s when nobody really talked about Star Wars, and if you were a fan -- especially of the EU -- you kept it to yourself. The prequels and stuff changed that, and for a time we'd chat about the NJO at school and such, but I still feel like it's all weird.

9. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I just end up with a wry smile plastered to my face when people start talking Star Wars or bringing up the EU. I tend not to actually engage, though.

I'm always happy to shoot the breeze about SW with someone but, frankly, I find talking about the EU with people who don't REALLY know it to be pretty boring. :p

And when they're like "Have you read any of the books?", keeping a straight face becomes more trouble than it's worth.

10. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I'm pretty out in the open about it among people who actually know me, so if it ever comes up in conversation they go out of their way to bring me into it.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  11. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh, among my circle of friends everyone knows about it. I mean, we'd played SW RPG and I was their go-to info source instead of the Wook. Although I'd love it if we were still playing and they asked me what a squib was, and I would say "I dunno." :p

But like, it's people who are more casual acquaintances or whatnot. Like, some years ago I was at this party at a professor's place, and all my profs started chatting about what made the OT more compelling than the PT and I just listened with this weird fascinated sense of unreality.

edit: although I have to say it's really difficult to pull off my whole Imperial propagandist schtick in person. I can do it, but people just look at me with a sort of "are you kidding me?" thing. And I don't even bring up Ars Dangor!

Revanfan1, CooperTFN and Gamiel like this.
  12. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I just realized, after all these years, that you are the Stephen Colbert of the TF.N forums. You post "in-character" so much that people think it is actually you!

Of course, I know about your secret Rebel fandom and your secret Ackbar fanboyism, but your secret is safe with... oh crap... :oops:

--Adm. Nick

Zeta1127, Jedi Ben, Revanfan1 and 2 others like this.
  13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do you remember what their arguments were?

14. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    AdmiralNick22

*quickly minimizes window of Rebellion where he just finished capturing Coruscant*

I don't know what you're talking about.

15. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Then we'd better never meet, because I will expect nothing less.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh, don't worry, I can still do it. It's just harder to use on people who have no idea wtf any of the EU is, so can't be swayed by anything other than "it was in the movie." Explaining the radio drama to them and saying that Tarkin exceeded his orders didn't convince them until I produced the damn text for them. Apparently they trust Wookieepedia more than my word, which is pretty much the most preposterous thing in the universe. :p

I also once tried to convince my baby cousin that Darth Vader and the Emperor were the heroes of the OT, but she just wasn't buying it.

edit: (also, AdmiralNick22 the Coruscant thing was actually a couple of days ago when I was on a temporary NJO/NR kick due to the cast announcements, but the Rebels trailer has restored sense to me, so I'm actually playing a proper patriotic game now.

It's really dorky -- instead of having a big fleet, I am using the sector command names from EGTW. Probably a better game strategy, because those stupid Rebel transports that always invade my planets can be quickly responded to now)

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  17. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    yeah this whole "everyone loves star wars like so much its the universal franchise" business is still super weird, i'm not really thrilled about it tbh. it's funny though, it used to be i didn't advertise my fandom because i was embarrassed about it but now i don't because i'm afraid someone will try to enthusiastically talk to me about it or something.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah. Like, I don't *hide* it -- it just rarely comes up, and when it comes up around me it's rather odd to observe. Especially when people behind me in line for Hobbit were talking about the ST and what it meant for Zahn and how the sequels would obviously be film adaptations of the Thrawn books -- I wanted to turn around and say "oh you sweet summer child." :p

19. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Perhaps apropos to this discussion: This morning I posted on the Facebook Organists' Association asking if anyone had any special music planned for today, being Star Wars Sunday.* So far my post has been met with resounding silence.

* I unfortunately didn't, because back when I was planning this week's music it had slipped my mind that today was SW Day. But I would love to get my hands on a good organ arrangement of the Imperial March.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  20. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999

We've found that hipster you mentioned, Jello.

21. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    My boss is a pretty big nerd, though he's more into Trek than Wars. Still, all our hard drives are named after SW characters, so that's something. :D

But yeah, though most of my friends are into one nerdy thing or another, I'm pretty much the only one really into SW.

22. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    I have friends at work I talk movies and Star Wars with, but it's far from everyone. I persuaded one to try watching TCW, then urged him to persevere when he found Ashoka intolerable. :p I also found out last night that another (female) coworker is big into the Justice League cartoons, especially Flash stuff. Which didn't come up at all until she saw me holding a copy of Justice League: The New Frontier and mentioned it was one of the few she hadn't seen. Kinda blew my mind.

23. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I must be in a Star Wars fandom dead zone. :p

Actually, one of my friends was a huge fan of the movies, but then completely cut ties with Star Wars to go over completely to LOTR.

24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, comics are weird. When we went to see the Avengers at the midnight showing, my friends were all talking about comics and continuity and different canons and I was like "I don't understand any of this. These guys are a bunch of nerds!" :p

Guess that's how confusing and inscrutable we must look from the outside.

(tried getting them to see TCW -- and I showed them the best episode I could think of to introduce them to it, The Lawless, and they spend the entire time giggling over Palpatine's big nose :p sigh )

25. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    i really was into star wars like way before anyone else though : (

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.