main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blithe

Blithe Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2003
  2. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I occasionally substitute teach on my off days at the university. Today I was in a middle school English department. The department common room had a collection of various novels along one wall, and I was surprised to see a copy of Shadow Hunter there. Then in the classroom itself, I was even more surprised to see a copy of Glove of Darth Vader (!). Finally, one of the students had the last name of "Hutt". It was quite the day.

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Not many middle school English departments are equipped to handle the magisterial tome that is the Glove of Darth Vader. I stand in awe.

DarthBoba likes this.
  4. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    My middle school library had a copy of Zorba the Hutt's Revenge.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    My elementary school library had the entirety of the X-wing series (that existed at that point, anyway) and I got to write Star Wars fanfiction for extra credit. I win.

6. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Bah. My first Star Wars book report was Heir to the Empire. And yes, it was when the book actually came out. :p

--Adm. Nick

7. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    There's something I could say that would blow your mind . . . but I think I'll keep it to myself. :p

What happens in elementary school stays in elementary school.

8. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    In middle school Vector Prime was on the approved books list, and we could choose to take a quiz on it. There were about 10 such quizes we had to take, and we could choose any ten books from about fifty or so. I think that was the only 100 i got on any of them. :p

9. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Please tell me his middle name was "the".

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  10. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    Last fall, I wrote an essay for my Religions of China and Japan class comparing Vergere's take on the Force to Chinese religious practices- particularly Daoism- and came to the conclusion that Vergere practices proactive Daoism, and was getting at the philosophical basis/inspirations for the Order. I discussed how Vergere was trying to get Jacen to understand the lesson of the Uncarved Block, and how even Nom Anor represented a lesson in Daoism. I received a 94 on the paper (didn't include any citations). The ball is in your court, fellas.

11. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I ultimately think the greatest argument for Vergere is that by practicing involuntary teaching and involving the use of torture in her teachings, that ultimately her teachings are bankrupt morally. It is not what you say, but what you DO which determines your value as a teacher. Forget the Sith retcons of Vergere, the fact she warned the Yuuzahn Vong about the Jedi strike team at Myrkyr says everything which needs to be said.

I mostly think Mathew Stover made her SOUND like a Jedi in ways that we don't normally get in Star Wars, though. They're all lightsaber, no wisdom.

12. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    My high school was devoid of EU. I was the only one in school with a collection of books. The only one in English class, reading Tales of the Bounty Hunters. The only one toting Shadows of the Empire around. And the only one writing a book report on Truce at Bakura.

13. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I found Dark Force Rising in a airport book rack.

That was when I was 12.

The rest is history.

14. Blithe

Blithe Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2003
    My introduction to the EU came from the old Time Tales Chronology here on the TFN oddly. I must have spent hours reading that stuff. Sure I was spoiled on a lot of stories, but I knew it would years before I could buy a lot of that anyway.

15. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    My school had a first edition print of the A New Novel and I got to keep it when they were going to throw it out because the cover had a slight rip. :D

16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    In elementary school, my friends and teachers called me "Admiral Jello." In high school, they called me "the Emperor." My AP U.S. History teacher asked me to keep him apprised of how the Vong War was going.

17. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Now that is awesome.

Nothing as fun at my end.

I just wrote the rest of that oh-so short novel called Invincible... and that was recently. No Star Wars in my schools, though we had enforced reading every week. When I was 12, my teacher nudged me away from some re-re-reading my favourite Secret Seven children books (all 27 of the oh-so thin things), so I found something to read in a second hand book shop and encountered Star Wars. I did also start reading at Dark Force Rising... and the rest is a very expensive history.

*laughs*

18. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Sounds like your end is about as fun as my end. No cool nicknames, no EU available in school... Though, I did write some fanfics and hand them in for grades. I think back on them now, though, and cringe. Blech.

19. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I was a Star Wars fan, perhaps too much of a Star Wars fan at my school, both home school and my two tours in public school (1st to halfway through 3rd, then my junior and senior year). The main thing I did as far as reading during high school was concerned, besides reading at least a few Star Wars books, was actually reading LotR after a false start around the time of the films. I started out by being given the film novelizations as presents around the time of the PT, then I started going to the public library and reading the Bantam novels and short story anthologies, then the NJO and finally several of the PT tie-ins.

Earlier this year I started actively buying books, and now I plan on finally reading the Clone Wars multimedia project, several of the newer Star Wars books and comics, and other things like the Halo books, mainly the first six novels and the short story anthology, Evolutions.

20. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    My fandom earned me ridicule. But, so did everything else about me. My entire school hated me for no good reason. Well, it really didn't help matters that I was aggressive and overall weird. In elementary, recess was spent wandering the playground and picking up bugs, or hiding under a large pine bush and finding bugs, or digging in the dirt beside the staircase to the ball courts. High school was spent drawing in my notebook, trying to avoid people, throwing my books (and even heaving a chair or two) at anyone who harassed me, and getting into fights. I tried to do extra-curricular stuff, but the teachers wouldn't let me and half of my classes were the "learning support" remedial classes. School sucked loads.

However, in college, my fandom became an asset. If I were to go to college again (not sure for what, though), I already know what character I'll use for a fictional case study to hand in for my Psychology class.

21. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    My nerddom waas pretty well known from preschool on. In grade school I only associated with a small circle of friends, and there was very little bullying. In middle school, A) people respected me because I was smart and B) my mother was a teacher at that middle school, and while popular people were afraid to cross her. In high school my circle of friends remained pretty constant, and they are the people that I hang out with/live with up here at WVU. I lucked out in that my friends and peers accept me for the nerd I am, and find it fun instead of punishable.

22. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I suppose we all had our share of issues on that front. High school was rather a relief in that department, as people would openly discuss the NJO (as I'd mentioned). I didn't talk about SW much in college, apparently to my regret as I've since learned that some of my college classmates are con-going SW fans. Who knew?

I did, however, learn that the person who sat next to me in my Latin classes was a JCer (and a prominent one at that!). That was pretty funny.

TrakNar, you'd have broken the curve in my high school biology class then. The cornerstone assignment was the so-called "bug project" where we had to collect and pin 40 different species of insects from at least 15 different orders.

23. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Star Wars never came up for me, but one teacher did require that I write Epic of Gilgamesh fanfiction between analyzing the Aeneid and composing haiku.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  24. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    *laughs*

Well, that's something.

The closest my school was to anything remotely cool was the TPB of Zero Hour, which I read again and again... and really couldn't care less for DC despite that. Though the Jacen = Hal references are good fun. I found out here about Parallax the creature, actually!

25. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I'm sorry to admit it, but while in high school my interest in Star Wars fell to nil.... mainly because the post-ROTJ Star Wars tie-ins were 98% Ewoks. Didn't get back into it until the mid-90s (although my great love of Lucasarts had me playing Star Wars games even when I wasn't reading Star Wars books)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.