main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Guys, I think this whole Disney/ST thing might be my fault.

You see, I have a friend who's a gigantic Transformers geek and I've been teasing him for years about the crappy Michael Bay movies. Then Karma caught up to me and they gave Bay my own 80s cartoon obsession, TMNT. Meanwhile, I've spent three years waving off all my Trek friends' complaints about the new movie, saying "I don't care if they had to reset continuity, I like the movies better this way".

Now, well, here we are. :oops:

Ulicus and Point Given like this.
  2. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    GET HIM! :mad:

TrakNar and GrandAdmiralJello like this.
  3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I. I survived. I know you were all worried about me.

II. Hm, y'know -- I'm not a huge Trekkie or anything, but I always found the movies more or less entertaining (I prefer the old ones with the TOS crew -- weird, since I never watched TOS). I think my favorite part about the movies was how even though they were part of the same series, they each had a different mood or feel to them. So I don't much mind them going a different direction with the reboot/alternate universe thing they're doing now.

Of course, as a more casual fan, I probably irritate the hardcore Trekkies as much as the movie-only SW fans irritate me... so I guess I'm just a huge hypocrite. :)

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Liking the TOS movies without watching the TOS series is not weird- I grew up on the TOS movies (mostly 4 & (later) 6, but I occasionally watched 2 &3)- the Enterprise-A has always been "my" Enterprise, even though I was really into TNG later in childhood and always have a special place for the D.

Even then, as a kid, I couldn't watch any TOS episodes because the look, feel and overall tone was just so radically different.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah exactly -- I remember watching 4 on TV and making a VHS recording, and then 6. I didn't even get to 2 and 3 (and 5, urgh) until my teenage years. So yeah, I suppose we're in the same boat. I also like the TOS films the best because the uniforms actually look militaristic -- all those shiny medals and rank insignia!

I think I saw some TNG as a kid, probably DS9 too? I certainly think of the D as much as the A when I hear that word.

And of course, there was that bizarre weird Trek ride at Vegas.

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, we sound like we're on the same page more or less. TOS films, TNG and some DS9 (I got about 3 seasons of that in and maybe the first 1.5 of Voyager before I moved past Trek).

The more militaristic facet of the TOS films was due to Roddenberry losing control over the Trek sequels after ST1 underperformed. He actually disliked the TOS films on the whole, it seems. But he got his creative control over TNG, at least for the first few seasons. Then those that took over had to spent the next 10 fighting to work around, adjust or deconstruct his influence while simultaneously praising it. ;)

7. CaptainPeabody

CaptainPeabody Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 15, 2008
    Yeah, the TOS movies have always been one of my favorite incarnations of Star Trek. I just love the whole nautical feel that Meyer and Bennett gave to them, with the uniforms, the medals, the ship's whistles, the torpedoes...it just works really well. Horatio Hornblower in outer space. Treks 2-6 still define a lot of what I look for in Star Trek, period. TWOK is such a good movie that people are still trying desperately to copy it.

I may have mentioned this before, but I've been a Trekkie from childhood. My older brother was pretty obsessive about both Star Wars and Star Trek, and as a result we watched the Trek movies and episodes over and over again, and I read the companion books he bought many times as well. It was nice.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  8. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I was raised on Trek as well. My grandmother, who raised us, was a crazy Leonard Nimoy fangirl. And yes, she had all his music. Even went to go see in him concert. :oops:

I've seen the original series a gazillion times, but I really need to sit down and watch all the later ones (well, the good ones) in order. Most of what I know of Picard is internet memes and the films.

Ris_jSarek likes this.
  9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, the nautical feel of the films really was a key element to their appeal (beyond the cast chemistry as well). Though, sometimes, they did take it too far- such as how they kind of forget the Enterprise/Federation ships have phasers, except in ST2. Beyond that, it's all torpedoes, torpedoes, torpedoes until the TNG films.

Well, if I can plug my thread in Amp, I've been going through all the shows for the past 6 years trying to come up with a list that whittles down the massive number of episodes into what episodes are essential (relevant to ongoing plotpoints, whether the episode is actually good or not), good, average or trash, etc.

It's all my opinion, of course- and some of the longer summary breakdowns at the end of each season may still be affected by the truncated post issue, but you might find it a useful starting point (and if you don't feel like digging through the thread for the seasonal breakdown summaries and/or they've been truncated, let me know and I can send the lists to you).

And, I'm not done with DS9 or VOY yet, nor have started ENT, but the TNG and early DS9 content are done and useful enough to be applicable, especially with the seemingly incredible Blu Ray restoration work being done.

10. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    CONFUSION REIGNS.

11. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Oh, AWESOME! That's really what's been making me hesitate to jump into it -- there are just too many episodes it's daunting. I'll definitely check out your list.

WELCOME TO MY CHILDHOOD:

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Given the impending film release and the above conversation, I can't imagine there beinga more appropriate time to link to this video...

I'll note that, in case it's a concern, the actual episode reviews/summaries (especially as you hit TNG and they start to morph into flow of consciousness running commentaries) likely include spoilers (or, at the very least, specify what elements will return down the road, if I'm aware of them at the time i wrote those blurbs), but that the season-end lists themselves should be spoiler free, for the most part.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  13. CaptainPeabody

CaptainPeabody Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 15, 2008
    DS9 is in my opinion the best of the Trek shows. If you can get to it, I would highly recommend it.

Actually, my avatar is a DS9 character...as you can see, the most handsome character of all.
    Did you miss the whole "Spock is a sex symbol" thing?

Yeah, that was a thing.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Morn's not bad, but he just wouldn't shut up.

15. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    My dad was a fan of the original series, but I knew Leonard Nimoy first as the "host of In Search Of..."

For a brief time, Star Trek actually had a pretty good RPG by Last Unicorn Games, but it was destroyed due to a (no kidding) stupid war between WOTC and Decipher that also involved Star Wars...

16. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I like Star Trek, mainly growing up on the films, TNG, DS9, and VOY. I liked Enterprise, but things like Rura Penthe bugged me. I haven't seen the new film, because I am not sure I would like it, since it looks like something completely different.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The most recent film is basically TOS by way of Star Wars, in terms of style.

Ulicus likes this.
  18. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    By way of an Apple store, in terms of visuals.

19. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    We need a resurgence in motion photography, models, and stop-motion. [face_plain]

20. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    There is NEVER an appropriate time to link to that video.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  21. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    But it will NEVER MAKE SENSE.

22. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I was looking over my Failbook newsfeed and I thought of AdmiralNick22:

[​IMG]

23. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    I feel like that is the absolute best reply to Hav's post.

24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
  25. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Because. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.