main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
  2. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    This would have to be the first time I've seen anyone else mention Drowned God. That was a great game.

3. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Yep, the Drowned God is as close to Cthulhu as Martin can get without just retconning CoC into Westeros. "What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder, stronger" is based on "What lies dead can eternal lie, and over strange eons even death may die" from the Necronomicon of Alhazred. The name "Dagon" is prevalent in Ironborn culture, and of course the Greyjoy sigil is a kraken.

Then there's the Ironborn who live on the far western islands, who apparently warg into seals and whales. While this actually helps to demonstrate how the Ironborn are First Men, the way that Damphair describes it reminds me of Shadow over Innsmouth. There's a few more too, IIRC.

Ulicus likes this.
  4. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Now I realize that you're not talking about the game, Drowned God, and that makes me sad. :(

Ulicus and Gorefiend like this.
  5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Ok, ended up being busier today than I thought. I'll post RPG part 2 tomorrow, I guess. But in the mean time, here's a bonus ... we worked on character sheets for the big group game today. It was extremely frustrating, because for an immediately post-Endor game we already have some sort of Force-wielding kickboxer and a Chiss smuggler, but we also have a Nagai Jedi former Inquisitor. Keep in mind the latter two characters were created by people who know nothing about SW and just liked the pictures of those species. I informed them that they were doing great violence to canon, but they did not care and kept the characters over my strenuous protests. I know RPGs are about having fun, but... continuity is fun!!!! You'll back me up on this, right guys?

So whilst these people were creating characters, I decided to duel a droid that my friend was playing. This droid was armed with an ion blaster that... tingled me, I guess. It did like 3 damage to me. Though I completely whiffed like twice (and wasn't even drinking brandy this time!), my character slew him with my lightfoil. Then I challenged the kickboxer, who killed me in two hits (I missed completely both turns) but just as I was knocked out, his girlfriend -- playing the smuggler -- interrupted and sniped him in the face. Adorable, right? :p Then I decided to see what would happen if I fought Darth Vader, but apparently Darth Vader would slay me twice over in a single turn even if he rolled a 1 on his dice for accuracy and a 1 for damage... his stats are so high there's no conceivable way that I wouldn't die instantly against him. That's kind of awesome.

Anyway, here's my character sheet: (there's also a back sheet, but it basically just has my talent, Wealth, and my languages, Basic and High Galactic; I can learn 3 more but haven't decided yet)

[​IMG]

6. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    As Tapani noble you should properly go for Herglese, Tsi and Huttese (because every one should know that language)

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, he may be a Coruscanti who just happens to carry a lightfoil (given the name Valorum .... which I may change to something more obscure like Pradeux, we'll see. Otherwise I'll have to make him a member of Melantha or Mecetti if he is Tapani).

8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
  9. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Rilwen_Shadowflame Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 27, 2005
    You know, somehow I imagined you as having tidier writing, Jello. That's only a few steps above my scrawl.:p

Ulicus likes this.
  10. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
  11. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Rilwen, I affect a majestically detached script. Good handwriting is for my minions.

I'M WITH YOU TOO [/Luke] [face_hypnotized]

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  12. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Tanistry and Ultimogenure succession being introduced to CKII in the next patch! SQUEEE. It's the game that keeps on giving.

EDIT: That the reign modifer is now calculated on a case by case basis, and depends on how long you've been a particular vassal's liege, rather than the title you're using, is a cool change.

Also general Republic update.

Point Given likes this.
  13. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Glad you guys saw the post in time to get one!

14. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Thanks LAJ! :)

More importantly: automatic cultural renaming of cities! Bari will become Barion! Or in the alternative, Constantinople will become Istanbul (or preferably and more accurately, Constantiniyye)

RC-1991 and Ulicus like this.
  15. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Oh, and NEW TORMENT GAME.

Specifically: "Numenera - Torment", so no Planescape involved.

The Loyal Imperial likes this.
  16. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    Hey Jello, Uli, PG- turns out the new Arianne chapter is completely new. It's Arianne I, whereas the one he read aloud at a convention was Arianne II.

And damn, that new chapter really makes it sounds like things are going to A) go to hell and B) move quickly in The Winds of Winter.

17. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    New chapter out? LINK????

--Adm. Nick

18. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
  19. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I know,right? I was expecting much more sitting around before Arianne actually departed for (that place). I wasn't that big a fan of Dorne in the previous books but once again Martin has crafted things in a way that all stories connect.
    CANNOT. WAIT.

20. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    The bit about Lord Waters just tickles me to death. And there's some definite foreshadowing that Aegon and Dany are going to come to blows.

21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Please use spoiler tags out of courtesy for others, guys.

22. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Oh, wait, wait, wait. If this means that York can become Jórvík, I am gonna be thrilled.

23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    That is exactly what it means.

I assume that they'll have a list of renames they made themselves, and that we can add more names to the list ourselves too.

24. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    This is Ulicus 's doing:

[​IMG]

Panda Boba. Get it? Get it?!

25. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.