main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    So what you're really saying is that the large mannequin represents you, the smaller mannequins are your ideas (which invariably reflect you as a person), and the unzipping of its head symbolises your understanding that those ideas are "cool" and should be shared in the form of art? You chose monochrome as a way to imply that things were "black and white", without deeper meaning.

[face_batting]

Seriously, though, I agree. You don't interpret art, art interprets you. "When one gazes into the abyss" and all that.

2. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    My kid plays in a street hockey game every Sunday afternoon that's now interrupted by a Secret Service patrol. Turns out my neighbor is Obama's new chief of staff.

3. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I often wonder just how many Renaissance artists painted what they did just because they liked the look of it, or did it just to mess around with anyone who viewed it. More, I suspect, than the artistic analysts would prefer to acknowledge.

TrakNar likes this.
  4. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    The correlation between art and psychology is a very, very loaded conversation to say the least. I believe that to an extent, all art is a reflection of the artist and, in turn, a reflection of the society the artist has grown up in, but I don't believe an artists true thoughts can be gleamed from their work. I just wrote a paper on William Blake's work, and one thing I made sure to never do was to say that "Blake thought" or anything similar. The truth is, we have no idea what his true views on most things were, we can only infer it from his poetry. Music is my trade, and while I do believe the music a person writes can easily reflect the person, it's also very possible to write in a style that's deliberately not you. Of course, you could argue that's also a reflection of yourself, but that can easily go around in circles.

That said, I'm a strong believer in the idea that art takes a life of its own after it's written. I don't believe in the idea of "looking for meanings that aren't there". If you can find meaning in a work, whether it's a book, piece of music, painting, or even video game (let's not open that debate :)) it's there, regardless of whether the artist ever intended it to be. The Mona Lisa is a good example of a work that has picked up so many interpretations that Da Vinci almost surely never intended.

While Thrawn's art ability has some merit, at it's core it's pretty unbelievable. I just chalk it up to a superpower and move on (in the HTTE anniversary edition, Zahn even called it a "near supernatural" ability.) That said, perhaps it does have more merit in the Star Wars universe than our own. I'm sure the diversity guys will eat me alive for this, but for the most part Star Wars does readily embrace the age old sci-fi trope that every member of every species is ridiculously similar. In a universe where every member of every species seems to act and think the same way, perhaps it's not surprising that Thrawn can gleam some psychological insight from the species artworks. Of course, Thrawn also pulls it with Talon Karrde =P~

Barriss_Coffee and Ulicus like this.
  5. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    BY ZOR COMMAND:

6. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Well, why did you think it looked cool? What thought or emotional process was there behind the fact that that imagery was appealing to you enough that you decided to manifest it? You may not intend to put meaning into things, but what you do reflects your choices, and your choices can reflect your thought processes and personality.

Of course, we could get into the loop of "at what point do your choices affect your personality, and when does your personality affect your choices."

7. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    It's also worth noting that everyone has different reactions to different things. It's why two people can look at a picture and see two different things, or read a book and have two different ideas about why things happened the way they did. A near infinite number of variables and experience form us as individuals, and we often attach different meanings and memories to objects or words. So, while I might just simply see an otter, Corran Horn might see his future wife. Art interpretation is very interesting and creepy like that.

Ulicus likes this.
  8. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
  9. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Agreed with every word of that post. Except that I don't like the idea of Ruins of Dantooine judging me [face_not_talking]

10. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Do you want to know what judges you? This, or should I say he.

[​IMG]

Some activity to you all:
    - Find the inner meaning in this (Hint: It's in the glove)
    - One sentence or less: What happens in this image? What is he thinking? Is this before or after the Glove becomes the Glove of Darth Vader, and if after, what has happened?
    - Make this a variant cover for Darth Vader and The Glove of Darth Vader #1, soon in a comic store near you!
    - Just feel your inferiority to a snow statue

11. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Stare into the snowman, and the snowman stares back... and finds you lacking.

Zorrixor and Ulicus like this.
  12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000

"This one will do things because they look cool. We shall lure him into doing something cool- but it shall be our something cool. There we will strike."

13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    That's annoying. I remember being woken up by motorcades all the time at my old place.

Today wasn't so inconvenient. Police on every street corner, lots of black SUVs, but I wasn't bothered so whatever. It would've sucked tremendously if I had a car, though.

14. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Seen any black helicopters yet?

15. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    They have stealth helicopters now, so you are not as likely to see them.

16. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Well. That's no fun.

17. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
  18. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    I own that shirt. Sad to say most people don't get it and just look at me funny after I explain it.

19. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Someone made a costume of that at C6. I have a picture of it somewhere...

20. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I don't get it.

"Database error" all day! I can take my business elsewhere! Surely I can find a place in which I can discuss "cad Bane does he contradict the EU" for 17 pages.

And another first world problem: c in my keyboard has stopped working. I have to use ctrl-v to write it, which slows down my writing by several seconds.

21. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    IKR? I want my money back.

22. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I prefer Knight of Summer, thank you.
    [​IMG]

RC-1991 likes this.
  23. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh, they have a shirt of that? Is it still available? Or was it one of those 24 hour deals?

[​IMG]

The_Forgotten_Jedi and Ulicus like this.
  24. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    I got it last summer at the local Trex Expo at a Cosmic City booth. I just checked their website, and yes, it is available. Only in a small though, which is odd.

25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh, I missed this earlier. But yes, thank you. My least favorite undergrad class -- with the exception of, say, post-calculus math and other assorted ickies -- was this history of drama class. It was cross-listed with comparative literature, and I took it in order to fulfill a requirement. I thought it would be inoffensive, because it was about the origins of drama. It had a huuuuge sweep, from Aeschylus to Marlowe, but still.

Turns out the professor was some sort of emo who felt that you could experience the drama and get the author's true meaning, and that the author's intent and what they were saying to you depended on how you felt or some sort of other touchy-feely nonsense. As a classicist this HUGELY offended me, especially since most genre work in antiquity was highly artificial and studiously composed. If you read Tibullus or Propertius and thought that they were actually emotionally invested in their highly-wrought love poetry, you are as stupid as the person who thinks that Natalie Portman actually died on screen in ROTS -- it's fake, pretend!

This was the one and only time where I argued with a professor, laid down my evidence and a mountain of source material, and was unable to convince the professor that she was instructing the class wrongly. She said "well, that's your opinion" -- argh, no, these things aren't opinions! I told the prof that I had to drop the class due to irreconcilable differences between me and her instructing style, and that was when she finally relented and agreed to try and present things in a more objective manner. She didn't want to lose my perspective on classical drama, so I guess she decided it was better to keep me in the class.

I miss the days when my presence in a classroom was held to have improved the quality of learning people received. It doesn't happen nearly as much anymore :p

Ris_jSarek and instantdeath like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.