main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    The Chewbacca costume looks like something out of the darkest recesses of Hannibal Lector's mind.

2. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  3. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease somebody buy one of those for the next big convention and deck it out in dreads.

4. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Was Tamerlan Tsarnaev the "Darth Sidious" and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev the "Darth Maul/Tyranus/Vader"?

5. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  6. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
  7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Thanks to fellow Ferals and EUI.

What is the EUI? Expanded Universe Initiative? What haven't you been telling us? You know what's going on with Episode VII, don't you? SPILL!

8. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Emailing under the Influence ? o_O

instantdeath likes this.
  9. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Oh, yes. Phase Two is about go into operation. You WILL enjoy the new Expanded Universe. In fact, with time, there will be no evidence the "old" Expanded Universe ever existed.

About a thousand easter eggs to various Disney projects, including at least 15 "hidden Mickeys" and the Star Tours ride featured prominently. Up-and-coming Disney Channel stars having a number of small roles, including at least one scene where a Disney teen singer will be doing a soon-to-be hit song in the background. A live-action version of fan-favorite Ashoka. MULTIPLE Death Stars. Usage of CGI and old footage to bring in dead actors from the OT.
    They haven't worked out a script yet, but that's really at the bottom of the priority list.

TrakNar likes this.
  10. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Plot schmot.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    AdmiralNick22 -- having my first Nebbiolo. Specifically a Barbaresco (didn't want to go for a Barolo first). I still have an old world loyalty to Aglianico, but you have to work to get the quality bottles and not the Beneventano swill you get at Trader Joe's. gotta be Campanian or Lucanian/Basilicatan. Those are classic Roman wine-producing regions, though obviously the southern Italian wine producing tradition is almost nil these days.... Toscana and Piedmont are the gold standards, even though the latter wasn't even considered part of Roman Italia.

But I have to admit, the Barbaresco is great. I understand why Nebbiolo is considered the noble grape of Italia.

Wanted to try some Greek bottles bc I'm at a Turkish restaurant, but I couldn't resist a decently priced Nebbiolo.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  12. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Italian wines made with Corvina and Rodinella grapes are excellent as well. Grab yourself a bottle of Palazzo Della Torre by Allegrini. The 2008 vintage is very affordable and is an excellent wine. IIRC, it was a Wine Spectator or Wine Enthusiast top 100 wine. One of my go to Italian wines.

RE: Greek wines, I cannot say I have found (or even seen, for that matter) any that I particularly care for. A shame, as the Greeks have historically been wine makers.

--Adm. Nick

13. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, that's the pitiable part about it. I like trying Greek wines and southern Italian wines for historical reasons, but the fact is that they're not very good... Greek wines in particular are just, well, table wines at best. Their muscats are oversweet, their retsinas taste of fishermen's brew, and their reds are... meh. Very sad -- I've had wine from each of the wine-producing islands save Lesbos just to say that I have, but yeah -- nothing to write home about.

Funny you should mention Corvina & Rodinella though. I had my first Ripasso yesterday, which has leftover grape skins from Amarone left in there to give it a distinctive edge. As I understand it, Amarone is primarily made from Corvina & Rodinella. I definitely quite liked it -- better than the Barbaresco, actually. But I haven't tried a Barolo yet -- I like my wines hefty.

It's funny, the wine shop owner knows me now and he asks me why I always go for the Italian wines. :p I feel like if I explained it to him, it might break his head.

14. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    So, I made the Old Bear's Mulled Wine for a GoT showing tonight. It turned out quite splendidly (despite the fact that the weather is a bit warm for heated wine). And was quite apropos.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Did you mull over the episode with some drinks?

Eh? Eh??

16. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    Oh ho ho HO!

:p

17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    On, on that note -- before the episode, we went to this great frozen yogurt place. They give you discounts if you solve challenges. One of them was an unscrambled word, one of them was naming 5 countries which end in a "y", and one was naming 5/7 countries on the Arabian peninsula. I got them all of course.

But most importantly, they also had an impression challenge: do a Daenerys Targaryen impression. And so I did! I did my best "I am the blood of Old Valyria and I will take what is mine -- WITH FIRE AND BLOOD I WILL TAKE IT." The cash register girl was suitably impressed, but she asked one further condition b/c I didn't have my voice in the proper feminine timber: I had to give her a dragon. So I was like oh fine, you can have Viserion. And she was like "oh good, I always liked the green one." I shook my head and informed her that the green one was Rhaegal, obviously. So I shamed her into giving me an additional discount.

blackmyron and RC-1991 like this.
  18. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
  20. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    Sooooooo, I just found out that my capstone presentation will be on Wednesday, not Friday. Thank the Old Gods I still have some of that mulled wine left.

21. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    Sorry for the double-post, but I'm nearly done with Memories of Ice: Book 3 of Malazan: Book of the Fallen.

RIP Whiskeyjack :( :( :( I honestly expected him to survive the series.

22. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
  23. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Hmm, I haven't picked up any of the 2009 release yet. The 2006, 2007, and 2008 were all 90 point wines, plus Allegrini does tend to make fantastic wines. I would highly reccomend that you pick it up! Let me know what they charge you. That bottle should retail between $20-$30.

--Adm. Nick

24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    19.99 so it looks like I made off nicely.

The bottle I had yesterday was also at the store, at less than half what the restaurant charged. I know restaurants mark up like crazy, but that just left a foul taste in my mouth. From now on, I get the bottles myself.

25. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    The problem is that if you buy the bottle and bring it to the restaurant, the corkage fee (typically $15) will probably make that particular wine just as expensive. Once a bottle gets into the $50 price range (retail), you are typically safe in knowing that even with corkage you will be cheaper than the restaurant's list price.

So, since we are on the subject of wine, a co-worker just gave me a bottle of Graham's 1983 vintage port. An exceptionally good bottle, made all the more special because it is from my birth year and given to me as a 30th birthday present.

FYI, the "22" in my screen name is from my birthday, April 22nd. In other words, today. [face_party]

--Adm. Nick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.