main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
  2. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    OMG DINOTOPIA I DISCOVERED THAT IN KINDERGARTEN WHY DID THE TV MOVIE AND TV SERIES SUCK SO HARD GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

It was probably The Land Before Time that sparked the interest for me.

3. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Canadian. We got The Yukon Trail instead. :p

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh yeah, how'd I forget Littlefoot, Sarah, Peetree, Duckie, etc? Whoops.

I'd only seen the first two or three though, not all forty or however many of those they ended up making :p

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Ah, Land Before Time...my cousins born in 1993 and 1995 were into that.

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Ouch. Lumped in with the children. :p

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

7. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Rilwen_Shadowflame Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 27, 2005
    I loved Land Before Time, though I never saw any more than the first one.

...hated Jurassic Park, though. I was a bit too young when I watched it, and it kinda freaked me out.

8. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    I think I watched all the way up through the eighth LBT, then decided that I had outgrown it.

I also used to get into fights on the playground over whether or not Tyrannosaurus Rex was a scavenger, and the evolutionary link between birds and dinosaurs.

9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    My older son played dinosaurs All. The. Time when he was about 3 or so, with his preschool buddies. For some reason he always ended up being the T-Rex, with his friends playing triceratops.

10. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Mar 27, 2005
    I'm not even sure what the dinosaur thing is I once watched. All I know is it involved time-travelling kids, a T-rex eating baby triceratops, and a fight with an adult triceratops, possibly in a storm. (I think the adult was the vengeful mother, and I think the T-rex lost first one eye, then the other?)

11. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    How many Land Before Times are there any way? 46?

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  12. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Yup yup yup.

CooperTFN and darthcaedus1138 like this.
  13. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    JP was the first movie I remember seeing in theaters. Not the first that I'd seen, but the first that I can remember seeing.

The Rex scene freaked me out for years.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

14. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Mar 27, 2005
    I distinctly remember that the first scene to freak me out was the one with the goat.

15. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Me too, which is weird because I think I'm a good few years older than you. Obviously my memory just sucks.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah I was like, in first grade or something :p

Yep -- same attack scene. I was fine with the goat itself, but not the Rex slowly revealing itself from the trees etc. That was scary as ****.

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I found that same scene scary as hell and I was 21 or 22.

18. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Mar 27, 2005
    And then the movie proceeded down a slippery-slide of DO NOT WANT. Including "oh, hey, dinosaurs can open doors!"

[​IMG]

19. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Eventually they gave up and stopped numbering them, which I found hilarious. I think the highest numbered movie was VIII, after that it was just The Land Before Time: Subtitle

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000

Ah, but by the end the T-Rex redeems himself with the baddestass (is SO a word!) rescue ever.

jSarek and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  21. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Man, I didn't see Jurassic Park 'til I was in Middle School. But my brother always had some cool dino toys I'd play with, and of course I loved the Flintstones and the first Land Before Time movie, so dinosaurs were right up there with Legos and trains.

22. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    My grade school friends and I -- aside from playing pretend Jurassic Park in the playground -- would write what we called "novels" together in our notebooks (we did not realize at the time that it was just round-robin fanfiction) about Jurassic Park, featuring all our classmates and stuff as characters. We'd have people we didn't like get eaten by dinos. It was the best.

edit: Also, on reflection, grade school kids have no business reading books as gruesome as those. Oh well! :p

23. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Mar 27, 2005
    Anyone ever find out and worry about you?
    I know there were some slight concerns when my teachers saw a picture I painted that had a shark and a severed leg, and claimed the shark had eaten several of the boys who were mean to me. :p

24. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    It's hard to watch JP now, knowing that dinosaurs have feathers.

Gorefiend and CooperTFN like this.
  25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Just blame the frog DNA :p

I? Like I could get in trouble. Teachers adored me. Well, except for all the ones that hated me. My 3rd grade teacher didn't like me. Or my 4th grade teacher. Or my 5th grade teacher. And 1 of my 6th grade teachers.

Okay, I guess maybe I could easily get into trouble in those days. But the point is I didn't!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.