main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    Couldn't sleep this afternoon because, about 30 min. after I laid down, a helicopter flew low over our house and then proceeded to circle the area for about another 30 min. or so around our house and the pasture across the road. I finally decided to get up since it was impossible to sleep with the noise of the rotors loud in my ears even with my hearing aides out and my fan set on high - that's how low and close it was. Now I'm so tired I keep blinking to try to stay awake. Definitely going to bed early tonight and I really, really hope a storm doesn't blow through because I am not in the mood to be kept awake another night by thunder and lightning.

It was apparently nothing more than a training exercise of some sort, but I'm still seriously peeved. I have some difficulty sleeping at the best of times during the summer and having a helicopter - helicopter! - buzzing around my house for 30 min on some silly training exercise has made me very cranky right now.

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, see now you're adequately trained to deal with a helicopter buzzing around your house. When it's the real deal, you'll be prepared!

CooperTFN likes this.
  3. ma_petite

ma_petite Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2006
    I can't imagine sleeping that lightly. A marching band could parade through my room and I would keep sleeping.

Mobile sock of s65horsey

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Everything wakes me up. I've slept with earplugs in for years. Helicopters that close would bother me as well.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm the same way actually -- helicopters? Lawnmowers and chainsaws already make it impossible for me to sleep. Don't have to worry about these so much anymore, but instead I get to live above a busy weird-ass intersection that features lots of honking, frequent ambulances (due to the nearby hospital), random sirens since the Secret Service always has SUVs about, and every so often a motorcade due to some annoying important person that likes using this street.

...though if it is a motorcade I usually drag my butt out of bed to gawk out the window because those never get old. Still annoying to get woken up though.

6. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    I tend to have no trouble sleeping through hurricanes, myself. At least my subconscious has learned to wake up for the tones when I am on duty (though it gets annoying as certain fast food machines make the same noise as the first part of our alert tones)

7. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I was finishing a powerpoint slide for a lecture I have to give today on Pompeii and I realized 5 minutes before class I had used a screenshot from a Doctor Who episode.

[​IMG]

THIS COULD HAVE BEEN VERY BAD.

(no, I have no idea why I did not see the dude chilling in the trenchcoat earlier :p )

jSarek, Gorefiend, s65horsey and 6 others like this.
  8. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Use it anyways.

jSarek, Point Given and Ulicus like this.
  9. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Yes. To LI you listen!

And if anyone questions your judgement, you say:

[​IMG]

10. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    You should've used it and if someone called you out just be like "a-ha! I was testing you!"

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  11. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Also this.

[​IMG]

12. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    There are Time Lords in Pompeii now, Time Lords are cool!

13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    This is totally what I would have done. Then told the student who caught it that he earned Geek Brownie Points.

14. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    So in other news -- I received a thoroughly boxed package in the mail today, so securely fastened and cushioned that it could have survived a Death Star's strike. It was a wonderful bottle of wine, courtesy of AdmiralNick22 !

It was accompanied with a note addressed to "His Imperial Majesty" from the "Supreme Commander, Fleet Junkie Defense Force," signed in elegant handwriting that would not have looked out of place on the Declaration of the Rebellion. Moreover, there was even a red Alliance Starbird next to the red-penned signature!

Very well done, my friend. =D= You humble me.

15. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Yeah, well, I bet he's never carried your bags. [face_not_talking]

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I think of you and miss you often, Uli.

Particularly when I'm coming back from the grocery store :D

jSarek and Ulicus like this.
  17. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    C'mon, you're wasting a perfectly good "spot what's wrong with this picture" opportunity. Active learning! Get them involved, etc etc.

18. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Spot what's right* with this picture, I think you mean to say.

19. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    Is the Doctor ever around when things are going right?

20. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Yes. It's when things turn left you need to worry.

(Btw, there's something on your back)

jSarek likes this.
  21. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Now I await your notes on the wine and what food you paired it with! :D

--Adm. Nick

CooperTFN likes this.
  22. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I just ordered a wine preserver thing from thinkgeek -- not gonna open up that puppy until it arrives, so that I don't waste the entire bottle! Should be here by the weekend.

Will let you know ... so far you have yet to steer me wrong when it comes to wine!

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  23. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Remember, decant for at least an hour before drinking. Burgundian style wines need air and food. Add both those and you should be in for a treat. I am always nervous when I ship wine as it is not temperature controlled, but it would have to be subjected to extreme heat or cold to truly impact the flavor of the wine.

Gah, I am such a Northern Californian, droning on about wine. Forgive me. :p

--Adm. Nick

24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    hey, I'm a Romanophile -- you think I get bored by discussions of wine? Never!

One of my friends did his undergrad thesis on Roman wine -- it consisted of taking various wines and drinking them the way the Romans would have (either watered or mulled with spice)... lucky so and so!

However, I'll take your advice about decanting. Many's the time I've been served younger wines fresh from the bottle and.... yeah, wow. Heavier than they needed to be.

25. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    What kind did he send?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.