main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Cat's don't have bad grammar when they say "GO AWAY!" ;)

2. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Well, with the government shut down, doesn't that impact the educational system, meaning current kittens will grow up without learning proper grammar?

3. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007

The future is officially upon us.

Gorefiend likes this.
  4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I did that last year, because I lived in the city at the time. Alas, I don't anymore, and there's no events near me this year. :( Still, it was a fun time, especially for the kids.

5. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    My entire life is a Star Wars Reads event.

6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    re: Agents of SHIELD ep 2

It isn't setting the world a-light but it's entertaining enough.

Skye irritates with her whole outlook, she's evangelical about tweeting so has never seen the bad side of it? Now add unvarnished, raw truth that crap can happen any time, anywhere and you can do sweet FA about it and then she will see the world burn.

The others I find more fun.

The Fury cameo was funny.

I like the little nods to the films too.

7. Bib Fartuna

Nov 4, 2012
    I love all the nods to continuity (does that word apply to Marvel?) ... for example, I think there was one scene where the call sign of the plane was 616?

8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Heh, missed that one.

9. Bib Fartuna

Nov 4, 2012
    http://m.au.ign.com/wikis/marvels-agents-of-shield/0-8-4_References

S.H.I.E.L.D. 616 - In the opening moments of the episode, S.H.I.E.L.D. command can be heard checking in with the team on the plane. The plane's callsign is S.H.I.E.L.D. 616 which is a nod to Earth 616. There are multiple earths/universes in the Marvel Universe, and Earth 616 refers to the main Marvel Universe which contains the characters that most people immediately recognize as Marvel properties.

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I haven't read the SHIELD comics (should I?) and I know nothing about the continuity, but, repeating a few things I said in the Amphitheater thread:

I love Agent May. LOVE her.

Coulson does nothing for me. And the "betrayed by a former lover" plot point needs to disappear from storytelling forever, except maybe as a warning in stories written for 13-year-olds.

I liked the guy recruits and thought their "duck! and run! and it'll blow us up!" dialogue was funny. But Skye...I can't decide if she's really annoying or just overrated.

Nick Fury appearing and yelling at Coulson was ****ing awesome though.

11. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    if you mean the old shield comics, this show has absolutly nothing to do with them, since the movies and tv shows are non-canon, or should i saw take place in an alternate universe.

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    There are a lot of references in the Amph thread that I'm not getting, and that might be for the best.

I've seen The Avengers but no Iron Man films.

13. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I was actually a bit underwhelmed with the episode. It was too predictable and felt to small scale for such an early episode. They needed to keep things big and exciting. Plus the concept of them gelling as a team after just one episode was too rushed.

I like Coulson, the cameo by Nick Fury was fun, but in all it just didn't grab my attention to the degree the premiere did.

--Adm. Nick

14. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
  15. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I wouldn't say nothing to do with them, as there are probably a dozen references or shout outs to the old SHIELD comics in the first episode alone. But yes, all of the characters are original.

16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Heh yeah, now that's kicking arse.

17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    The other films are entertaining fun, well worth seeing.

18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Nick, I suspect it'll stay small-scale. It has to, since it's a TV show. I think perhaps there might be the occasional multi-episode arc with big stuff, or season-wide stuff, but I can't see them keeping a movie's scope and ambition.

I like Coulson still, but I do have to wonder if they'll start wearing him out... because as someone pointed out, he was funny when he was just that guy that kept showing up. And yeah, May is the only other character I really like.

19. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Coulson is pretty much carrying the show at this point.

Also, wtf ABC, that isn't remotely Incan architecture, nor is that an Incan artistic motif. Those look more "generic post-classic Central Mexican" and "weird Olmec/Mayan mishmash" respectively, than even Andean, much less Incan.

Gorefiend and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  20. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    The solution is simple: aliens did it.

21. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    [​IMG]

Statues at Tula: depiction of Toltecs wielding atlatls, or LASER GUNS?

We report, you decide.

22. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Fixed.

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  23. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    Got bored and found these.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  24. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    You told me a few hours ago that you thought it was Aztec, now you're saying Olmec/Mayan? Make up your mind, you're making me sound like an idiot in the JCC! :p I guess it's fortunate that I admit knowing next to nothing about this stuff, except that it is most definitely not Incan.

25. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    Aztec falls under "generic post-classic Central Mexican" :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.