main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  2. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
  3. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Have I been revealed after all this time? I thought I had a pretty good cover :(

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  4. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Re: Agents of SHIELD

OMG OMG THERE'S A TRISKELION OMG

5. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Jedi Ben

Sorry to hear about your loss, Ben. I will keep your family in my prayers.

--Adm. Nick

Jedi Ben likes this.
  6. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    Ben, I wish your family the best.

Well, I am now officially on the have been mugged twice list. Apparently my head is hard enough to absorb two punches and not crack. Glad my stubbornness if effective for something. [face_dunno]

Jedi Ben likes this.
  7. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    I'm really sorry for your loss, Ben. My mother's grandmother fought for several years before she went, and a grandmother on the other side of the family was taken in the space of a night, so, I've been through both, and I honestly can't say which is worse. I can't help heal the hurt through words on a message board, and I can't say anything pithy for fear of coming off corny or insensitive. So I'll just say that I know I speak for a lot of us when I give you my condolences, and that if there's anything you need or want that we could provide, don't hesitate to ask.

8. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Hold in their Ben, the weirdness will pass.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  9. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Heh. Finally getting around to reading Kenobi, and have to say that when Anileen thought of Chancellor Palpa-whoosit, I immediately imagined Jello harumphing, while perhaps muttering "ungrateful commoners" under his breath.

This board has tainted me. I don't think I like it.

10. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    My condolences Jedi Ben.

And yikes Sniper_Wolf - that's a list I'd like to stay away from.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  11. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I have it on good authority that that was his favorite scene.

ma_petite likes this.
  12. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    So this is annoying. My computer was running slowly, despite multiple virus checks, to the point where I just decided to reinstall Windows 7, since all my files were on an external hard drive. Turns out this was a huge mistake. I've just been hit with numerous other problems. I'm thinking most of them are driver related, as I've been able to fix many just by finding the right drivers. However, my computer still only sporadically reads my external hard drive, which as I mentioned is where I have all my important files. More annoyingly, however, is that every 30 minutes or so, my computer decides to simply restart on its own. Anyone good with computers suspect what the problem might be?

13. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Have you tried turning it off and back on? :D

14. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Have you checked the event viewer? Tried cleaning it out to make sure it's not overheating due to dust buildup?

15. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Yes, it does that itself :p
    Hmm, not familiar with the event viewer, might have to check it out. One thing I noticed helped significantly was just getting required Windows updates; just doing that made me go from having about a dozen problems to just one or two really annoying ones. Wonder if there are still some drivers/updates I'm supposed to get?

I don't think it's anything hardware related because this only started after I reinstalled Windows. It was going slow before, but I believe that was just from lack of hard drive space, which I have since cleaned out (I had less than a gb of free space).

16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Definitely sounds like a driver problem; it sounds like your computer didn't even re-install Windows 7 correctly. Unless your version of Windows 7 itself got corrupted, but I don't see that as likely.

17. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Event viewer's probably a good suggestion -- if there's a hardware fault or something, it'll tell you. I was able to rescue a laptop from death when it frequently randomly turned off an on because the event viewer showed me there were hard drive read errors, so I consequently was able to backup my data just before the thing died on me.

It'll be in Control Panel under Administrative Tools.

Ulicus, also LI and maybe PG: Apparently there's a 25% off code for AC4 on GMG (I can provide)... many of us had agreed we didn't want to get another AC game at full price again, but 25% is probably a better price than anything we'll get in the near term. I can't imagine it being more than 25% off even in the Christmas sale.... the question is, what do we all thing of this?

I am asking for peer opinions!

:p

I did probably do something akin to a mental harrumph at it actually. Hard to say, as I was bumping along on a jeep in the savannahs at the time...

But no, not actually my favorite scene.

18. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    25% off is still pretty high, given the base price.

19. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    This is a short film my cousin made:

On another note I am adding this film to my MCU canon as the way Coulson was revived (till further notice).

20. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Iiiinteresting... I've messed around a bit, and my computer has now been on for an hour and counting. Let's see how long that holds up.

21. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    If it starts running Skynet Protocol v.1.0.... RUN

22. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm probably not the best person to ask when it comes to the issue of is it financially worth it, since I've been getting AC games on day one since Brotherhood, but as far as how good the game is, I'd say very. AC4 has the best hero's journey storyline since AC2, a fact which the previews and trailers all severely downplayed for whatever reason, and Edward's an all around enjoyable, multilayered protagonist. All of the characters were well-realized, well written, and well acted in general, whether Assassin, Templar, or pirate. The locales are great, the gameplay's polished AC3 on land and upgraded AC3 for naval play, freeroaming on the Jackdaw was entertaining, and the soundtrack was spectacular. The only real complaint I've heard about the game is that there are a good deal of tailing missions (there are, but they aren't particularly difficult and usually provide interesting dialogue to listen to while you're doing it) and the fact that just about everything in game is expensive, requiring you to get out and do a lot of pirating and adventuring to pay for everything for you, the Jackdaw, and...anything else.

The modern day is pretty basic stuff as far as gameplay's concerned, and for now, you really do appear to just be you. We'll see if that sicks or they make "you" into someone else, like the Revelations multiplayer character. The environment's decent enough, and there's some cool conversations between employees and documents to find. The interesting stuff comes lore wise, with over thirty different hackable computer files on a bunch of different subjects available as the game progresses, some audio recordings, some videos, some Abstergo reports about Pieces of Eden and other mysterious things of interest. And then there's the obvious follow-up to what happened at the end of AC3; not a whole lot, but a good set up and idea to where things will be going now that the big goal's shifted. This part only sort of suffers from the old "feels a little weird" issue that always surrounds the first-person mute character, the lack of Assassin-y gameplay, and the fact that there's not a whole lot to do outside of the Animus but walk around and learn things. Still pretty entertaining for what's there, though, and you usually want to be in the Animus more than out, anyway, so it's not really a big deal.

The end is also stunning. Anything else and I'll be heading into pretty spoilery territory, so...yeah, I recommend going for it. Good gameplay, good characters, good emotional content, good environments—I don't have any regrets paying for it day one, let alone at a 25% discount.

Contessa, Ulicus , Gorefiend and 4 others like this.
  23. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Thanks Mia! I appreciate the write-up. One last Q: how's the game length?

Good to hear that there's actually a story arc. It definitely felt more like just a pirate cashing in in the trailers than an AC2 style character saga... and AC2 and especially Brohood are my favorites.

Yeah, it's still around $45 for regular and $60 for the special version, which gives me pause. After paying full price for AC3 and Rome 2, both of which disappointed me (though tbh AC3 was actually a decent game, whereas Rome 2 just wasn't) I'm a bit hesitant. It was pretty much going to be a sure thing that I wouldn't get AC4 at launch, and then a bunch of people start saying it's good. Blargh.

I'd be happy just waiting if I knew that in, say, 3 or 4 months that there would be a 50% off or something. Then I'd buy that special version for less than the regular version, and still get all the preorder goodies anyway.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  24. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    At the very least, I'd prefer to wait until they're done releasing DLC so I can pick them all up in a single swoop, preferably at 50%-75% off.

25. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    arghhhh I can't wait for Christmas...

Mia Mesharad likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.