main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    When I am in my Dropbox account, I don't see a "direct download" link. Granted, this is like the second time in my life I have attempted to use it, but still. Incidentally, in case you haven't figured this out yet, my tech skills are rather poor. My social, cooking, and drinking skills? Exceptionally high, but they don't help me in this instance. [face_laugh]

--Adm. Nick

2. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
  3. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    AdmiralNick22 - click the first link you gave us. On the top right there's a blue "download" button. Click that and the direct link will appear in a little drop-down.

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Why on earth would I do that? Look, I already hate new SW products for continuity reasons. I already get annoyed by GOT for not cleaving to the vastly superior books and inventing stupid plotlines. Now you want me to do it for Hobbit?

If you had your way, I'd just end up being unable to like everything because it's inferior. I'd hate everything. Basically, I'd be Trip.

5. CaptainPeabody

CaptainPeabody Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 15, 2008
    Some things deserve to be hated, though. And the new Hobbit movies are among them.

[/old man voice]

6. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    .....I really have to disagree.

Gamiel likes this.
  7. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I just found these and I have to share them. You are all welcome in advance. Check out admiralack.com:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tis a shame the blogger hasn't posted this year, cause I can look at these all day!

--Adm. Nick

8. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    But you'll enjoy the superiority of the books. Why deny yourself a better experience just so you can continue wallowing in mediocrity? I expect better of you, Jello.

9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah, Nick, Dropbox is basically an online version of your hard-drive, or an online version of a USB storage device. Files on it are just that- files. So they may seem like they're online, but technically they aren't.

That sounded more intelligent in my head. :p

But hey! Cool collection there. A mighty fleet indeed. :cool: And that site is great. I love the "Admiral Sackbar" one. XD

10. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Tolkien's work is superior in every way, shape, or form to Jackson's adaptions. Once I finally read The Lord of the Rings, while I was in high school on my own time, after having seen Jackson's The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, I can scarcely take Jackson's adaption seriously anymore, beyond being amazing films. I suspect the same thing will apply to The Hobbit verse Jackson's The Hobbit Trilogy, though its been awhile since I have read The Hobbit and I haven't gotten to see An Unexpected Journey in its entirety yet.

11. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    You could try to get both by first enjoying the inferior but still enjoyable product and then the superior. Then, because the inferior one was your first experience you keep it in your head and mix everything into a strange timeline of many things happening at once and Kili having at one time a beard and other a personality. In the end you hopefully have a Best-of version in your head.

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I was shocked at how much Jackson grossly overdid the Aragorn/Arwen romance, which as I recall from the books, was relegated or mostly relegated to an appendix.

I like the films but some adaptations left me shaking my head.

13. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I think you've misunderstood the term 'adaptation' then Zeta. Jackson is quite up-front that a perfect, literal transfer of the book to film would be impossible to do, that there's too much in it, the best the films can be is a very good adaptation that is true to the spirit of the book. I think, in that respect, the trilogy achieved its goal but there will be masses of stuff in the books that the films couldn't include because they only had so much time.

Hobbit could have been done as 1 film, but I think there would have been an audience expectation for it to link more to the greater world seen in the first trilogy, that it's seen as a prequel despite it not being anything of the kind.

Don't forget the politics that get played around films - I'd suspect Jackson was looking at using Arwen as a shield against the film being slagged for not having any high-profile women characters, that's sexist! Yeah, it's crappy thinking but could be quite destructive to a film series.

14. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Of course a perfect adaption isn't possible, but things like the Galadhrim led by Haldir at the Battle of the Hornburg were utterly pointless. I have the same problem with the differences between the Harry Potter books verse the films, and things like Harry repairing his wand with the Elder Wand and putting it back in Dumbledore's tomb in The Deathly Hallows verse not repairing his wand and instead just breaking the Elder Wand and throwing it away in the film.

15. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Being an obsessive LOTR "scholar", I have to say I actually enjoyed the LOTR movies. The idea that a decent LOTR movie, much less a live-action one, was just something most people had given up on. (Watch the horrid original animated movies to see what I mean). Some elements bothered me (removal of Saruman's end at the start of ROTK, the odd non-cliffhanger of TT, the inclusion of elves at Helm's Deep to echo the Last Alliance but neglecting to include dwarves) but on the whole I think it was a success.

Also, there is some indication that Tolkien planned (at one point) to end LOTR with the tale of Arwen and Aragorn, but couldn't figure out a way to do it. But I do think it's central - I mean, we've got the story running in the background from Aragorn telling the tale of Beren and Luthien at Weathertop, all the way to the coronation; Eowyn's story also mixes in with it.

instantdeath and Gamiel like this.
  16. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I like what happens with Eowyn but she only comes into it in Two Towers.

17. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    [​IMG]

Why is the Mon Cal on the Left allowed to get away from the social convention and norm of wearing shoes / boots?

As this Mon Cal is wearing a dress type thing, is this an indicator of femininity? If so, does this provide conclusive proof of the extremist and sexist nature of the Mon Cal society, specifically relating to the clothing sub-culture? Men are strongly forced through cultural coercion to wear shoes and boots, whilst the females are allowed to roam free as nature intended... I arrest my case in regards to Mon Cal social mores... if you are a male ... it is a trap!

18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I think Eowyn and Galadriel were perfect high-profile female characters. The Aragorn/Arwen romance wasn't needed.

I'm fine with some adaptations, I just didn't like that one.

But to be fair, the Jurassic Park book-to-film adaptation was more obvious, with combined characters (the lawyer had the raptor keeper's personality) and the kids being reversed (which actually improved the movie from the book) and Jurassic Park is still one of my favorite movies.

19. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    I thought the Desolation of Smaug was pretty good and enjoyable, but not perfect. Also thought that the 3D was actually close to being worth it, as compared to most other 3D releases.

Enjoyed seeing the Godzilla trailer on the big screen as well and Interstellar looks like it could be interesting .

20. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I haven't got around to reading Crichton's novels yet, but they are definitely on my to-do list, though I am pretty confident I will enjoy them alongside the films.

21. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    The great thing about LOTR is, of course, they don't have the canon fights like we do here.

Nah, just kidding. "Do balrogs have wings?" is the length-of-the-SSD equivalent for Tolkien fans.

Zeta1127, RC-1991 and CaptainPeabody like this.
  22. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Well, it could also be Mon Cal adopting to the human standards of what determines femininity--after all, if you don't slap a dress/b00bs/long shiny hair/lipstick/whatever on a female alien the human audience will become all confused because they absolutely need to know what is male and female otherwise all of their civilization collapses.
    :p

23. CaptainPeabody

CaptainPeabody Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 15, 2008
    Jackson's LotR films, besides a few bad moments, are decent adaptations and very good movies. His Hobbit movies, though (albeit I haven't yet seen the second one), have been a massive disappointment-- mangling, ignoring, and reversing almost all the themes, ideas, and tone of the book, and being massively incoherent in execution. I don't deny that the first Hobbit movie was entertaining and potentially likeable; and I did quite enjoy a number of moments from it. That doesn't make it a good movie, though.

It's like modern Hollywood is contractually incapable of making an actual adventure movie. And no, a theme park ride is not the same thing.

24. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    gizkaspice

...that is why Lucas never had any surface shots of Alderaan as the Death Star approached in Episode IV, as the 1970's audience were deemed not quite yet ready to be exposed to seeing a society collapse because the Alderaan population could not tell what was female, and what was male. The 70's were revolutionary, but not that revolutionary. That is why the female / mommy (Bail Organa) had to go rescue her baby, and reunite the family with the male / daddy (Queen of Alderaan).

25. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Ok, so maybe it was the result of seeing this movie the day after the superb Frozen, but Hobbit 2 was simply not very good. Visually it was a feast, to be sure, and the HFR didn't seem to jarring this time around... but this one felt belabored and overlong, and far too self-satisfied with itself. The first one had heart and felt rather adventurous, I remember enjoying it quite a bit. This one just... dragged.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.