main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I love December much more that May/June for movies. The Oscar contenders are always fun, and winter blockbusters tend to be more enjoyable than summer ones, with a few exceptions. If Frozen is as pretty of prettier than Tangled, then I'll definitely have to see it, preferably on the big screen. :cool:

2. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    In this case, I don't think the wearing of shoes is a tertiary sexual characteristic of Mon Calamari, but simply a matter of practicality. Being an amphibious species, Mon Cal feet are balanced between aquatic and terrestrial function, rather than being optimized for either. The preferred Mon Cal environment such as their homeworld and habitations designed for them are a hybrid of both, where both functions of the foot are useful. The males we see, and even some females (First Officer Thanpeesi) are in entirely terrestrial environments, with hard metal decks on ships, therefore wear shoes to provide comfort to their feet. Think massive bridge support. The drawback of being unable to use their feet is balanced by the increased comfort of shoes designed to adapt their feet fully to bipedal walking rather than a mix of walking and swimming. Think of how humans wear flippers on their feet for better performance in the water, but in reverse.

Gamiel likes this.
  3. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    I see that you have fallen for the standardized version of Mon Cal history that is currently offered by state-funded schools.

The analogy to humans is both hygienically dirty and morally obnoxious, and beneath this topic of civilized conversation.

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I may see Frozen again before it leaves the theater. It's that good.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  5. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Finished season two of Mad Men. I had to do something productive over finals week.

Sterling Cooper really needs more screen time.

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Ditto -- and I almost never see movies twice in theaters. I'm trying to remember the last time I did that: I know that I saw The Dark Knight twice and I saw The King's Speech twice, but I think there may have been one more since then? Not sure.

7. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I've heard good things about Frozen, but know almost nothing about it. Tell me, would a person with no soul (a person who doesn't like classic Disney films and hasn't seen any of the newer ones) enjoy it?

8. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I can't stand the supposedly classic Disney films, but they seem to be doing much better lately.

9. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    It feels so good to not be alone anymore.

10. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    What? Look at the Snow White, she is a main character who... doesn't actually do anything proactive and is saved in the end when a by-riding prince kisses her when she is passed out. Then there's The Sleeping Beauty, who... falls in love with the first man, no, human she meets and is saved in the end when the prince kisses her when she is passed out. And what a strong and powerful character Cinderella is! She keeps wishing until her wish comes true and then she gets the prince (who said perhaps ten words to her).

I think I like the ones where they modified the original stories most the best.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I was going to say something but honestly, the movie is just best enjoyed as it is. I went into the movie not knowing a single thing about it and not having seen a single trailer, and I was very pleased by what I saw.

ID, I should think even a soulless person like you would enjoy it. As far as the "classic" Disney films, there's really nothing all too great about them (or rather, they may have been great for the time by showing an animated film could be feature length, but they age poorly). Honestly it's the Disney Renaissance films that are the greats, and Frozen is fit to stand among them imo.

It's Disney doing the same thing that they did with the Renaissance: changing it up while still having the Disney sense of timelessness.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  12. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I guess for reference, what are some of the "Disney Renaissance" films?

13. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King for sure -- the extent to which the films following it were part of the Renaissance is debated, as people argue when exactly it ended, but those films are definite members.

Also, looks like Peter O'Toole is dead. :( Lawrence of Arabia is one of my favorite movies.

14. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Same. From what I've heard he at least died fairly peacefully.

15. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Heh

I do love me a bit of Žižek from time to time.

16. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    We've covered that I'm grossly uneducated when it comes to 80's (and 90's) movies, correct?

I watched Tron for the first time. I imagine my reaction was similar to the majority of audiences at the time of release: "what the hell did I just watch".

Now I just have to see Back to the Future and Jurassic Park so the internet can stop giving me accusing stares.

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    How have you survived 21 years without seeing those movies? I would think that the absence of such awesomeness in your pop culture life would have deteriorated every cell in your cerebral cortex by now.

Seriously...get hold of those movies.

Also, if you haven't seen them yet...

Top Gun
    Big Trouble in Little China
    Die Hard
    Beverly Hills Cop
    A Few Good Men
    When Harry Met Sally
    Who Framed Roger Rabbit
    Ferris Bueller's Day Off
    Breakfast Club

TrakNar, instantdeath and Gorefiend like this.
  18. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Let me destroy your faith in the new generation, inch by inch.

Haven't seen Top Gun.

Haven't seen Big Trouble in Little China, though I've seen several other John Carpenter movies... this one doesn't look as good as The Thing, but who knows.

I've seen Die Hard, but it's been a very, very long time. Probably worth a rewatch at some point.

Have not seen Beverly Hill Cops.

Have not seen A Few Good Men.

I have seen When Harry Met Sally, and can't really say I considered it a life changing affair. Romantic comedies in general piss me off in more ways that I can count; the only one I can ever recall enjoying was The Graduate, and that was for Simon & Garfunkel more than anything. This is Spinal Tap, on the other hand, is a masterpiece that should be mandatory viewing to everyone everywhere. Stand by Me is also great, as is Misery.

Have not seen Who Framed Roger Rabbit? Well, I think I have actually, but it was probably crammed between Space Jam viewings when I was a child. Regardless, I remember nothing about it.

I can't recall if I've ever seen Ferris Bueller's Day Off. I have seen Breakfast Club, though, and eh... I'm not a John Hughes fan at all (basing that off of this film, Home Alone and Some Kind of Wonderful). While it's probably the best possible high school drama, it's still a genre that just makes me groan. It's a film that is objectively very well written, but unfortunately does little for me.

While I'm at this, I might as well point out that I've actually only even seen the original Star Wars trilogy a hand full of times (I want to say four times). Until a year or so ago, I didn't really watch movies in general. In some ways I'm catching up on the entirety of film history, so give me a break :p For now, the most pressing matter to attend to is Sergio Leone.

19. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Big Trouble in Little China is like the best movie ever made! Watch it! Rright now!

20. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    I cannot emphasize this part enough.

And BTILC is thematically very different from The Thing. It's a mashup of pulpy 80s action tropes and Chinese martial arts and folklore tropes. It's extremely fun and is full of great uses of practical effects.

21. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    [​IMG]

jSarek and TrakNar like this.
  22. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Get thee to a Target and by these movies! Otherwise I will order a BDZ of your entire home town.

--Adm. Nick

23. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    But... but... Sergio Leone... :(

I never watched Sesame Street either.

Not joking.

Gamiel likes this.
  24. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I have Who Framed Roger Rabbit? and my brother has the book on which it was based. Come to my house, now. I'll order a pizza.

I also have The Great Mouse Detective.

25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    "What do you see in that guy?"
    "He makes me laugh."

Jessica is awesome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.