main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I like "When Will My Life Begin?" a little better than "Let It Go" but I love both soundtracks, as well as 80s and 90s Disney soundtracks.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  2. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    For me the best part about the film (besides the way they captured the terrifying beauty of winter) was
    the brilliancy of subverting the "Love at first sight" and "The True Lover's Kiss" tropes. When they started singing "Love Is An Open Door" I thought "Well, at least these two speak more than ten words to each other :rolleyes: ", then other characters pointed out how silly getting engaged after one day is, and then the twist ^:)^. And it all worked out without just laughing and pointing fingers at Cinderella and co, and the ending was still about the power of love, just not the kind of love you expected going in.

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh, I liked Rapunzel a lot.

Especially as they emphasized that she didn't just waste her time being cooped up in the tower: she read and painted and did music and languages, a bit of a polymath that one. I approve.

But Belle and Anna are still better, imo.

Oh good, I thought I was the only one. Everyone loved "Let It Go" but I heartily preferred the former, both in terms of the character singing it as well as the scenery that went with the song. But everyone else I know went gaga over "Let It Go."

It's probably catchier, admittedly... but still.

Not only that, but Disney continues its trend with Belle, Jasmine, Rapunzel, and now Anna of steadily eroding away the damsel in distress stereotype. Anna could handle herself rather well, saves what's his face a few times, and also punches the clocks out of what's his face. But yeah she still did the silly falling in love at first sight too and it ended in a disaster, and she realized it -- which is an important message, I think, in this era of Twilight and assorted nonsense.

And yes, I figured you'd feel perfectly at home in this film's setting, lol. :p

anakinfansince1983 and krtmd like this.
  4. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    GrandAdmiralJello :

You left out Merida as far as eroding the "damsel in distress" stereotype.

5. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    We have a couple of Whovians on this site, right? I know Ulicus is the big one, but I believe we have several others. Barriss_Coffee maybe?

Well, regardless of how many of you there are, I call upon you. I've finally decided to get into it, and want to watch at least a few episodes of each Doctor. I've compared a few "essential" episodes list, but thought I'd ask here. My goal isn't necessarily to get to new Doctor Who as quickly as possible, but I would like to see it at some point before I hit 30. With that in mind, I'm planning on watching the first episode, as well as the first appearance and follow up appearance of the Daleks, and "The Tenth Planet" (for the regeneration) to cover the First Doctor. For the second, I'll probably watch "The Mind Robber", simply because that's on the Netflix.

For the third and fourth, since I've heard that these two are especially good, I'm considering watching their entire runs. Worth it, or are there episodes, or even seasons worth skipping? As for the rest of the Doctors, I'll worry about those when I reach them.

6. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Saw Frozen couple nights ago - pretty good, but I still prefer Tangled.

Oh, and the Be Our Guest restaurant at DisneyWorld is amazing.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Haven't seen Brave, though I've heard not so very good things about how stereotype breaking it really was... can't really prejudge it though since I haven't seen it.

Worth pointing out that it's not really a Disney film though, it's a Pixar film that was released by Disney (just as Avengers was a Marvel film released by Disney). Both Tangled and Frozen were produced by Disney Animation Studios and are actual Disney movies.

8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  9. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    [face_laugh] Best line:

10. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Thanks to a cameo, Tangled and Frozen take place in the same continuity :D

I like Tangled, but only ended up going to see Frozen after watching this song on YouTube about a dozen times.

Community in 4 days. Expecting the worst, hoping for the best. Six Seasons and a Movie! hopefully with Jeff/Annie!

For any Bronies, I'm finding the "Fluttershy transformation" to be hilarously awesome, like a new running gag. And the MLP Card game has firmly slotted itself into my rather addictive/obsessive personality as a new vice to collect.

11. windu4

windu4 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2008
    I'm right with you there on Community! Not quite on Jeff/Annie though. :p

I'm so glad that Dan Harmon is back!

12. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    Though I'm late, going to jump in on the Frozen discussion - saw it about a week or so back. Personally, though I agree with the assessment that most of the songs aren't as good as some other Disney movies, a couple are excellent (specifically Let it Go and For the First time in Forever (not the reprise)), and I can honestly say its become my favorite Disney movie basically instantly.

And this from someone who grew up on Lion King, Mermaid, 101 and the rest of the classics.

13. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Currently I rate it at #3 behind Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King (who alternate for #1 depending on my mood) but I definitely plan on seeing it in theaters again soon, and it'll be interesting to see what I think the second go around.

14. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Man, that's the worst misspelling of "Aladdin" I've ever seen.

15. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I checked the list of the 53 classics, and realized how few of them I have actually seen all the way through. The ones I have on VHS's are of course watched again and again but I have never seen Pinocchio, Fantasia, Dumbo, Bambi, Alice, Peter Pan, The Jungle Book, Hercules, Mulan... except for the songs on Youtube. And in many cases I know the story from Read Along books ("when you hear this sound *kliling* turn the page") but I haven't seen the movie itself.

(Then there are those foodnote films no one has seen, The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad, Fun and Fancy Free... when was the last time Make Mine Music was widely released?)

I feel like I should make amends but since Disney has deliberately made its films hard to get outside single super releases I haven't had the interest.

Gamiel likes this.
  16. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    So, I'm reading Children of the Jedi, and so far, my greatest takeaway... there's really a planet called Neelgaimon? Because that's awesome.

jSarek, RC-1991, CooperTFN and 2 others like this.
  17. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I will miss Chevie Chase. He and Dan need to patch things up, cause the series was it's best with both of them being part of it!

--Adm. Nick

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  18. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Doesn't she say something about the "sand mines of Neelgaimon"? Which is even funnier. Though that could have been Planet of Twilight, since there's a Neil Gaiman reference there too.

And huh, I did not know Harmon was back on Community. This next season should be a step up, then. :)

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    No love for the Live action movies or don't they count as classics?

20. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    No, they don't.

21. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Disney prides itself on its animated films, and as such they're organized into a category known as the Disney Animated Canon. Basically, ever all-animated film distributed and animated directly by Disney (i.e. not by Pixar) is counted among the canon. The live-action films aren't part of any canon and are not categorized together, as far as I'm aware.

So yeah, there's been 53 animated Disney films, from Snow White to Frozen.

22. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    That's the most idealistic thing you've ever said, which is saying something.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  23. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

You mean complete unknown movies like this? :p

24. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Am I a heretic for hating Tron? Part of my brain recognizes that the visual effects were truly groundbreaking and fantastic, but the other part of my brain is too busy being numbed by the insane plot.

25. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    [:D]

--Adm. Nick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.