main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    re: DnA GotG

It's getting re-released, strangely enough in August, in big trades! Go forth and buy!

2. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    It isn't, not forever - but Marvel have played a blinder with their films so far. They don't have to do it forever just long enough. Just enjoy it while it lasts - it ain't going to happen again!

One thing they did with the first group of films was genre splicing but the Phase 2 films have taken that much further - the result? A high level of variety from film to film,so to avoid the sense of being given another of the same old thing. That, coupled, with the equally high level of entertaining consistency makes for a very strong brand and rep.

The big Q for me is: Is GotG the last pre-Avengers 2 film? Because if so, there could be a very interesting after credits scene.

3. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Yeah, I stopped reading the DnA run is that it's actually an omnibus I would really want to buy.

Also, the tagline of the Guardians of the Galaxy movie should totally be: "You will believe a raccoon can shoot you in the face."

Barriss_Coffee and CooperTFN like this.
  4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Ok, so I saw that trailer you all were raving about. Looks pretty silly. :p

5. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    You're a monster.

Ben--I think there's something slotted for May 2015 (that would've been up against VII) but they haven't announced what.

6. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I know there's Ant-Man, but thought it had been bumped to being post-Avengers 2

7. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I don't think it's particularly amazing. There are plenty of good, popular movies that aren't adaptations of a pre-existing IP. :p

Since Sony will never, never, never let go of Spider-Man (sadly), I wish they'd just strike a deal along the lines of: "Okay, you get to make Peter Parker/Spider-Man feature films, and we don't, but we're allowed to use Miles Morales as MCU-Doesn't-ever-get-his-own-film-but-maybe-a-TV-show-Spider-Man."

The MCU needs a Spider-Man. Spider-Man is... well, he's SPIDER-MAN.

Or I guess they could just shrug their shoulders, accept that they don't get to use their flagship character, and shift the emphasis onto Jessica Drew.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  8. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    That's like me complaining that Disney movies have too much singing.

Oh wait. I do that.

*shoots self in foot, crawls off stage*

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    ID, there's good silly and bad silly. This was bad silly. I get that it's supposed to be campy and fun or whatever (I think?) but it didn't feel all that fun to me :p

Feels like a guy in a business suit said "hey kids these days like campy space stuff, let's make one!" instead of actual camp.

I just really don't think that this film is the second coming,* like this thread has basically outright said. I mean it's by the numbers "jokes" with a big budget. ...yay?

*of Firefly

10. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    The general excitement comes from Marvel's willingness to have fun with its properties. It's been said before, but "DC is all like "we can't do a Wonder Woman movie, it would be too confusing!", and Marvel is all like, "here's a talking raccoon shooting people while riding piggy back on a friendly tree monster". It shows an uncanny willingness and commitment to expanding their universe to unpredictable places, rather than rehashing their most popular heroes year in and year out. Plus, it looks to be simply a fun space romp, and Hollywood hasn't seen something like that in ages. I've never seen the show, but I understand Farscape fans are very excited.

Also, for a select portion of the internet, excitement is generated by the excellent source material.

I can't really agree that it was all irreverent silliness; if the source material is any indication, it will start out goofy, but **** will get heavy. The silliness is just to get a second look. Also, the walkman joke is actually poignantly significant: it's the guys only remaining tie to Earth. At this point there's no telling how the final product will turn out, of course, but I do think potential is there.

Ulicus , darthscott3457 and Jedi Ben like this.
  11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    [​IMG]

"Sir, we have the first trailer for Guardians of the Galaxy!"
    "Excellent! Let the bitching begin!"

The2ndQuest likes this.
  12. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    Very true, I guess I am more thinking about how DC has had trouble with their more popular charters, while Marvel has a movie with a talking raccoon. :)

They certainly do, and yes unfortunately it doesn't look like it will happen anytime soon. Though I still have some hope that DC will pull together a cohesive movie universe.

io9 recently posted a neat little ven diagram of what characters Marvel owns the movie right to.

Ulicus likes this.
  13. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    IIRC, GotG is the last Phase 2 movie pre-Avengers: AoU. GotG comes out late this year, Avengers 2 comes out May of next year (the Iron Man 3 slot), and Ant-Man comes out November-ish 2015 (the Thor 2 slot). Past those two, nothing else has been officially announced.

14. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Yeah, Ben's got it. Avengers is the May release I was thinking of--for some reason I thought it was July.

15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I thought that was already established with Jello's first massacre of innocents civilians

16. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Oddly, the old saying about Marvel creating Characters while DC creates Icons is coming back to bite them in the movie scene. Marvel creating characters allows them to take those characters and explore different areas with them, to allow them to be more human and relatable (and comedic at times).

I agree that GotG is not Firefly 2.0, but it draws from the same well- a group of misfits that have abilities and flaws that we can root for, care about, and laugh with. Marvel movies have humor, and cool effects, and big setpieces, and cool fights, but the key so far has been characters that are actual people. They are relatable, making the suspension of disbelief much easier for the more fantastic elements. Man of Steel was a decent movie, but the characters were more "epic" and cold, which is why it does not hold up as well.

Cynical_Ben likes this.
  17. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Heh, there's another fun thing I noticed in the Guardians trailer: let's just say I never expected to hear Darth Maul say, "what a bunch of a-holes". Though I'm sure he frequently thinks it very loudly.

18. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Well, karma says they have to have done something right after Ultimatum and One More Day. It's just our luck that they've decided to let the filmmakers make the films and not breathe down their necks with editorial mandates.

AdmiralWesJanson likes this.
  19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    On Sweden’s national public TV broadcaster, SVT, they have talked about the fan film Star Wars: Threads of Destiny,because of its coming world premier, and interviewed two of the people behind it.

20. karilyan

karilyan Jedi Knight

Jan 8, 2014

Didnt DC try to run that formula for Green Lantern?

Speaking of which arent the Nova Corps like the Green Lanterns of the Marvel Universe? :p

21. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Can't DC just let Marvel do movies of its superheroes so that everything would be connected into one giant universe? I just like giant universes.

And I swear, this is the last time I link to my own blog... for now. But if you are interested in how right Renly is, here is me laughing at my own unpreparedness. And I made a post with links to the previous posts for someone's convenience. For some reason Tumblr changed the width of line breaks half way through so the list looks weird.

22. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Pah -- there's nothing epic about Man of Steel or its characters. I get what you're saying about the characters but still.

Also I want to know which one of you relates to the tree man.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

23. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
  24. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

That pointless Kryptionen Doktor Mengele (even coming with a faked German accent) was at least trying. [face_dunno]

I swear there was never a comic book movie I could not have cared less about. [face_sigh]They should just make a good Deadpool movie and that would be that.

25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Which character was that? Russell Crowe?

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.