main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    Couldn't agree more on all accounts, especially after another pretty good Arrow episode tonight. At least in terms of Deathlok they briefly gave us this picture:

[​IMG]

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    DigitalMessiah temporarily changing my icon to fit the ESO launch. Appropriately, it's actually a close match to my colors.

I finally got myself to Cyrodiil, and while I was pleased to see Imperial banners plastered everywhere -- as well as a suggestion that the Empire is, in fact, fighting the Daedra, it was pretty boring aside from that. :(

If you want to play the good ones, I would actually recommend II and II's spinoffs (Brotherhood and Revelations). Black Flag's alright, but it's nothing compared to the Ezio games :p

AC3... is only interesting to me in the metaplot, the plotline that you said turned you off (although you may think differently once you play through it, who knows).

3. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Yeah I think that I mentioned that I got to Weye and one of the villagers told me that people were streaming out of the Imperial City and that the legions were fighting the Daedra within. I suspect it's going to become its own adventure zone that only the faction that controls all six surrounding keeps can enter.

Cyrodiil is actually pretty neat in a group. In beta I participated in a raid that captured a bunch of territory in a massive invasion, and from what I understand you can actually play in Cyrodiil in a PVE sense, except with the ever present danger of getting ganked by the two opposing factions. Which happened to me once. :(

I suppose I'll go with Vivec thinking about Muatra.

Edit: Based on a map from the early beta which had the first Adventure Zone, Craglorn, on it, I suspect that the Colovian Highlands will be a future Adventure Zone, and that Cyrodiil purposely doesn't encompass the entire province so those areas can be future content for story purposes.

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Hmm. Yeah, I did see quest markers around but I mostly ignored them. Maybe I shouldn't have. Place did seem strangely empty to me though.

I actually tried to enter the Imperial City from Weye, too. This time there was an Imperial captain saying that it was filled with Daedra and that they had just barely managed to contain them (...Imperials are fighting Daedra now? I thought they had been taken over?). And on the bridge -- which was shattered anywhere -- there were giant scary beasties. So I decided to take a swim, ignoring all the floating dead bodies. As you can imagine, that was a bad idea. :p

How big of a group do you need to be able to do anything? I'm pretty anti-social in MMOs. I have 3 other friends playing it plus random guilds I've joined, but I still just prefer to do things at my own pace. :p

But then at that rate I'll never sit the Ruby Throne. :(

5. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    The fact that the combat is monotonous is the incentive for stealth in AC. It's actually a fairly brilliant way of balancing the game: you have the option to go combat or stealth without either being particularly penalized, but the game keeps you from just defaulting to combat all the time by making it take a lot of time and be kind of tedious. You can be a total badass, but it's not easy and wildly rewarding; it's an actual inconvenience to get caught, much as it would be for an actual Assassin, and thus it incentivizes stealth through gameplay. Though if you do want combat to be more challenging, use the hidden blade in combat. It can't block and the timing window for counters is tiny; it requires precision gameplay, and makes up for it by being an instant counterkill.

As for May, I'm pretty sure she's reporting to Nick Fury, keeping an eye on Coulson's return to service for his concerned boss. She's not going to be an antagonist; it's just a misunderstanding.

Patch: I think Hand took over the plane remotely. It's possible it was our mysteriously missing friend, but he seemed sincere about not being under orders before, so I doubt he would be now, and Hand is clearly responsible for the plane's course change one way or another. I actually liked the fact that he shot a guy without a ton of fuss being made over it -- not because it's sensible, but because this show is desperately in need of some actual black-ops-agency-doing-the-hard-missions edge where that kind of thing can happen, rather than being the Non-Lethal-Gun-Sporting Sunny Disney Heroes Justice Hour. And I don't know how you can't like Deathlok's getup; that's the coolest laser tag vest ever, man!

6. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Sigh. Now that I've decided to follow SHIELD again after all, I have to be careful what I read again. :p

I'll just watch the new one tonight I guess.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

7. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Odd, I thought the Legions were fighting with the Deadra. I guess they changed their minds on that?

8. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah it seems so. There were still legionary camps which were hostile to me, but the AD is invading them after all..

The guys around Weye are definitely fighting against and trying to hold the Daedra back. Now I feel bad about all three factions trying to steal the Ruby Throne out from under them... while they're the ones actually holding Molag Bal back.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

9. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004
    I'd actually like it if it wasn't for the exact reason you mentioned; the jarring disconnect between Disney Happy Fun Time and "we just killed two guys who may have been at least friendly to SHIELD because we wanted to save Skye...oh, hey, did we have stun assault rifles? Forgot about those...." and "We murdered Stephen Hawking because he hurt our feelings."

I've seen the show defended on the basis of having to pace to the movies, but both showrunners have said that this is the story they set out to tell, and there's been no course corrections. Which means the jerky storytelling was built in for the beginning, and that's the thing that just kills the show.

I was never sure why it was so important to have the freeze guns, but they've just suddenly switched gears so hard it hurts. I guess Skye being shot was supposed to be the reason the stakes are raised, but then I look over at ARROW and they're doing a massive long game that is working on every level, and I'm pretty sure they didn't originally mean to bring back Sarah, but Laurel wasn't working and Caity Loitz is AWESOME as well as being seriously trained in martial arts and stunt acting.

The arc form him being a murdering mask to someone who has promised not to kill makes perfect sense, and his rise and fall makes perfect sense in terms of pacing. It shows that it can be done...I just with AoS had taken that same sort of route and slowly built the themes instead of making a hard turn off Monster of the Week street onto Grey & Gritty Morality Blvd.

10. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    You can join up with large, unorganized mobs that are constantly looking for people to swarm a keep, but a group of 4 should be able to do the pve content. Just state away from the fringes of your territory.

11. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  12. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Uncharted: my favorite game that I've never played.

Kylun likes this.
  13. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    [​IMG]

HYPE.

14. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    The entirety of my excitement for 1313 came from the Uncharted influence, so this basically negates the cancellation as far as I'm concerned.

Kylun, Revanfan1 and Cynical_Ben like this.
  15. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    The cast list for that new SW game:

Character A voiced by Nolan North
    Character B voiced by Nolan North
    Character C voiced by Nolan North
    Character D (female) voiced by Claudia Black

Gorefiend, Revanfan1 and Cynical_Ben like this.
  16. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    So I ran into this license plate while walking back from lunch today

[​IMG]

17. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
  18. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I actually bought that for my friend's wedding.

19. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Not see-through enough.

Screw Uncharted. Amy Hennig was the Legacy of Kain mastermind from Soul Reaver onwards.

Still my favourite opening cinematics of all time.

I hope this means a lot of Simon Templeman. :p (LEGACY OF BANE!?!?!??!)

20. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    I've heard it makes toast that's a bit...

:cool:

... on the dark side.

21. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
  22. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    They're more on top of their game plan than NASA.

darthscott3457 likes this.
  23. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
  24. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Japan.

tjace, TrakNar and DigitalMessiah like this.
  25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Opening the link after that answer, I'm disappointed.

I thought it was certainly a photo of that building in Tokyo that is shaped like a...er...cocoon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.