main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005

FURY DIES!

Oops, spoilers...

Gorefiend likes this.
  2. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Neither have I. :_|

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I've been busy! I almost went to see it last weekend but a wedding suddenly came up.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

4. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Hmmm.... so yeah not getting Elder Scrolls Online from the look of it...

5. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Yeh, the more I've seen of their business model, the more it's disgusted me. Hiding an entire race or the ability to play with other races behind a paywall is bad enough, but some of the other things they've made grind heavy or pay-to-use in a subscription based game remind me more of games on the App Store than actual PC games.

I follow a YouTuber named Jesse Cox who's been MMOing since the beginning of WoW, and he was part of the behind the scenes showing for big guilds Bethesda brought in as ESO was in development. He says that, in early alpha, the game looked terrific, basically an MMO version of Elder Scrolls, you know, what they advertized it to be? Skyrim with friends? And he and the other guildmasters told them, "Keep doing it this way, do something different, focus on endgame content to keep them coming back and people will buy it." Apparently, they were ignored. They stopped developing an Elder Scrolls game and started adding more "MMO style" features in to make it more crowd friendly.

He talks about it, as well as problems with the game itself, here:

Gorefiend likes this.
  6. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Sounds like he's lying considering the game started more like a MMO and they started adding Elder Scrolls features like first person perspective and clipping with mobs later in development due to fan request. The early beta wasn't like an Elder Scrolls game at all, it was a standard MMO in Tamriel.

7. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    No, he's not lying. He's been savvy to the development for years, before the beta was publicly available. It started with features like that, and they took them out because the WoW crowd didn't like them, then added them back in when everyone else complained.

8. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Sorry my BS detector is going off on that. The game was designed from the ground up to be a third person MMO and that's evident even now.

9. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    Sorry to rain on your parade, dude, but I trust him and I don't think he has any reason to lie. I've been watching the video podcasts he's a part of for years now, when he was originally shows the ESO build behind closed doors two or three years ago he was really psyched about it, saying how it was exactly what he wanted in an Elder Scrolls MMO, with a highly intelligent AI and terrific instancing and a kinetic and interesting questing system. The next time he saw it a few months later, all of that was taken out and replaced with the early version of what the game is today, and you can chronicle the downward spiral in his opinions of the game through the other podcasts like the one I posted on the other page.

EDIT: Not that it really matters to me, I wasn't going to get the game anyway. But it sounds like opinions on the game are pretty... meh from a lot of places regardless.

10. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    In what sense are you raining on my parade? I just think the guy is being completely disingenuous at best, and outright lying at worse, to stoke the passions of fanboys by insinuating they could have had co-op Skyrim when that's complete nonsense. The crux of the game from day one was the three way factional PvP because the head dev is the guy that developed DAoC, and consequently the game was developed from day one as a third person MMORPG with a factional PvP focus. No one plays PvP in first person because it takes away situational awareness and puts you at a disadvantage, so the feature wasn't even considered for the game until they added it about a year ago.

The game was never co-op Skyrim because it isn't developed by Bethesda, it is developed by people that did DAoC, and their whole design doc was based around making a factional PvP game, not Skyrim online.

11. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    I dunno man, I don't know why I'm arguing about something I have no vested interest in. Besides, the whole Assassin's Creed thing should have taught me not to have opinions about games I haven't played. Enjoy the game. [:D]

12. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
  13. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    The strange thing is that a lot of the people that I trust have said that the Elder Scrolls Online is more like an Elder Scrolls game with MMO bits attached than the other way around.

Not to mention that many of the complaints about the game being too MMO tend to be about things that are present in the single player games as well.

14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Well the forum blew up today.

Which is a good thing. Not sure I've seen this much activity since the prequel days.

But damn, I've got to make dinner, people. :p

Revanfan1 and Jedi Ben like this.
  15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, I'm still planning on going to see Cap 2. I have to wonder if this place will have a thousand new posts by then.

Revanfan1 and Cynical_Ben like this.
  16. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I'm about to go bed, I'll never catch up.

17. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I've been online pretty much all day and I'm still four pages behind in the VII thread.

18. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I think I am going to take a long break until tomorrow and play around some more with my Nord Warrior Dragonborn and his Dragon gear in Skyrim.

Gorefiend likes this.
  19. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I have a Hypno to train. This looks like a good excuse to work on his moves, and then resume my Shuckle hunt.

20. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Hmm..... we should insist that Jello changes his Nickname... as there are now actually no more Imperial Grand Admirals. :)

21. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I hope Rebels canonizes some goofy name for the Imperial military leaders, like Grand Poobah or Mini-Palps, just for Jello. :p

Revanfan1 and Gorefiend like this.
  22. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't even know if I should be upset. My Empire is lost.

yeah I just came to that realization myself in the sernpidal thread. everything I've ever known is lost.

you know, earlier I wasn't feeling that bad but I think I was in the denial stage. I don't know how many stages there are after that or what stage I'm in, but I think I'm in the "this really sucks" stage.

23. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Here.

[​IMG]

Nurse Joy will help you feel better.

Gorefiend and Gamiel like this.
  24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    do I look like Brock to you?

get me a pretty gym leader and then we'll talk

25. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.