main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I want to say Dark Crystal, but for some reason, I think it might be Lavender Castle.

2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    It is Lord Chamberlain from Dark Crystal

3. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Ah, okay, my first guess was right. It's been an age since I've seen Dark Crystal.

4. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014

Whom exactly are you visualizing looking like this strange purple-beaked personage? Jello, me, Trak, or someone else entirely?

5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Well, he declared you Lord Chamberlain, so it most be you. Better start working on your whimpers Lord Chamberlain Findswoman (or should that be Lady Chamberlain Findswoman?).

MercenaryAce likes this.
  6. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    ♫ I believe in miracles... You Skeksi thang! ♫

TrakNar likes this.
  7. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    But aren't I Kapellmeisterin? I'm not sure what I am anymore... help!

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't know what's going on anymore. We were talking about court titles... and then suddenly a giant lizard.

9. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Happens a lot, over here.

[​IMG]

10. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    That protrusion of the pelvic girdle... It looks as if the artist detailed it to be a sheath, thus making it male.

And my cat got up onto my drawing table, broke the lamp, and threw up on one of my projects. Yes, Mabel, I understand that I have all the humor of a ten-year-old and the comic's source material is blatantly obvious, but you didn't have to hwarf on it!

Thankfully she barfed on a copy I was going to scan, rather than the original. I'll have to make a new copy tomorrow, as my comic boards are too big for my scanner. In the meantime, the original is now tucked away in an extra portfolio.

Goodwood and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  11. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    "Suddenly a Giant Lizard" could be the title of The Social Thread's autobiography.

12. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Court Titles? Sounds fun.

Though since ancient courts didn't have any forces, I feel a bit out of place. Perhaps just Air Marshal then. Or Sky Marshal, as that strikes me as a bit fancier.

Course, if non-European court titles are aloud, I would like to be Minister of the Left.

13. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    I think it's more along the lines of reviving old court titles for the purpose of better organizing Jello's New World Order.

14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    You can be the Minister of Extramarital Affairs.

MercenaryAce and Cynical_Ben like this.
  15. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
  16. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013

The first official Marvel property put on film by Disney, Big Hero 6, got a trailer. I really don't know what to make of it, to be honest.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  17. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    ....So, would I be preventing them or encouraging them, or just regulating them?

Sounds like a great position to get blackmail material in any case.

18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yes.

19. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013

I'm all for it. I don't know anybody who cares much about that series or really cared about it becoming a part of the MCU.

Two things:
    - TJ Miller is the best thing this side of the great state of Denver (...anyone?)
    - The only thing Disney does really horribly is their awful pop music.

20. Onderon1

Onderon1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2008
    Cynical_Ben: From what I can see, it's been both kiddified and slightly aged up from the original material - more details in a moment.

I remember when Big Hero 6 first appeared; they were more serious, being somewhat a spinoff from an Alpha Flight restart. (Canada's premiere superteam have had ... less than stellar luck since their original series ended.)

Long story short, a group of Japanese businessmen and politicians formed Big Hero 6 to give Japan their own superteam, a la Alpha Flight or the second incarnation of X-Factor (when Havok and Co. were working for the U.S. government). The team fought several threats, including one I doubt we'll see in the movie since it involves an emotional piece of RL Japanese history.

AFA the movie incarnation - Hiro (the young inventor) has been aged up to 18, instead of the 13-year-old supergenius from the original stories, while Fred (the slacker "dude" from the trailer) seems to be replacing Sunfire (a longtime ally and occasional opponent of the X-Men). Baymax (the Michelin-Man-looking robot Hiro invents) appears to have a different past than in comics, but I can't entirely tell from the trailer.

Given that Big Hero 6 was a niche comic - somewhere between kitsch and an homage to anime tropes - I expect the movie will be lighter overall, although Hiro might well have a strong character arc if his backstory remains similar to the comics. The movie might be fun, but likely won't adhere closely to the comics.

Barriss_Coffee and Gamiel like this.
  21. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013
    So hey... I posted this in the videogames thread a long time ago to no response, so what the hell: I made a quest mod for Skyrim which is sort of a lore-friendly Star Wars crossover, kinda like what Sillof does with action figures (google that if you don't know what I'm talking about, because you really should)... reimagining the elements as they'd appear in Skyrim.

Well now a dude made a playthrough of the mod, so I figured I'd post it up here for you guys to see. Some profanity I believe, so I won't embed here... they're embedded in the description. He sort of fails to show off some of the fun technical stuff, but it's not super Star Warsy, so no worries for my purposes here. I also wrote up backstories for all the reimagined characters which I think are fairly entertaining.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/50538/?

blackmyron likes this.
  22. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    You've just made my morning. I love you.

23. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003

I don't know anything about this movie or it's original comic whatsoever, but you said X-Men, so I'll just be waiting for that slacker dude to fight Pixarified Picard and Wolverine the whole time I'll be watching. Maybe it will happen in the credits.

Revanfan1, CT-867-5309 and TrakNar like this.
  24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It's also a rank in Starship Troopers - for anyone who has commanded both a regiment and a capital ship.

25. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Have we come up with a court title for Ulicus yet? With his snazzy yellow-robed fashion sense, he could be the court haberdasher or some such. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.