main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005

[​IMG]

Anyone have a time machine I can borrow? The wait is killing me (and Warmaster got delayed again as well GAAAAH!)

2. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Apropos of nothing, my avatar totally reminded me of this conversion I had with someone once about what would happen if someone drank polyjuice potion to become a Clawdite. Would it work? What would happen? I just don't know. Maybe when they open Star Wars World right next to Harry Potter World at Disney we can get the Zam Wessel cosplaying person to try this one. Actually they have the Star Wars Weekends Zam... I can try that maybe......

Vthuil and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  3. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    "I think he's a she . . . and I think she's a wizard."

"She's a what!?"

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    All I know is I want to be at Disney World for this. Or Universal Studios. Or wherever the hell it happens.

5. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Gamiel and AdmiralWesJanson like this.
  6. Slater

Slater Jedi Master star 2

Oct 12, 2014
    So the other two preview shorts for Bruce Timm's Gods and Monsters came out and I like them a lot better then the first.

Going by everything I've read they seem to be going for an even darker version of the Justice Lords.

There's even rumors the GM world is another parallel world, like the Lords, to the main DCAU earth. Probably because the DCAU version's of the Trinity appear on the background of the cover.

Gorefiend likes this.
  7. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I think I previously post the Hoth one, just saw this one io9:

Maybe it was already posted I'm really bad at keeping up with this thread.

8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Rumors? Did they not say that out loud right from the near beginning?

9. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Bah. Black Library went from perhaps the best of the GW divisions in terms of quality and pricing, now in the last few years it has taken a nosedive in both of those areas. Instead of 2-3 MMPB 40K stories a month, we get one hardback or TPB a month, then a bunch of novellas, audio dramas, e-shorts, micro-reads, and event and/or UK HQ only limited editions. Besides the MMPB versions of the Heresy novels (when they come out 9 months after the hardback, and 6 months after the TPB money grub editions) and a couple of omnibuses (when they release them instead of reprinting the first book of a series in premium TPB format) I cannot think of when I last actually bought a BL novel.

10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    As a person that is not interested in the Heresy so do I find their focus on that period a bit to large for my liking

Vthuil likes this.
  11. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Well, Marvel finally announced what I assume is the bulk of the post-Secret Wars comics - the good news is that my fears of the mutants getting booted to a separate universe were unfounded - still only one Marvel Universe, plenty of mutant titles. The bad news is that they're really pushing the whole 'Inhumans' thing - the big crisis in the mutant world is now apparently related to the Terrigen mist; 'Uncanny Avengers' has abandoned the whole 'Avengers meets X-Men' thing (well, continued the abandonment we already had in the recent brief run) and a bunch of top-tier mutant characters getting booted over to non-mutant titles. At least Deadpool is coming back with the last author, who penned one of the greatest four-wall-destroying comics ever made in his last issue.

... Ugh, that Uncanny Avengers storyline. Just awful, awful, awful.

Praenomen Cognomen likes this.
  12. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013

Gerry Duggan is the man. I mean, possibly even the main man.

This is a great interview with him about all things, including some wistful thoughts on reboots that are definitely relevant to this forum:

http://nerdist.com/the-indoor-kids-197-the-inevitability-of-change-with-gerry-duggan/

He also played some great D&D on the initial stretch of the Nerd Poker podcast with Brian Posehn.

blackmyron likes this.
  13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Hmm, Duggan's run is the only one I haven't liked that much- but I am horrendously behind on my comics so I'm only going by the first couple years of his run (I left off with the vs SHIELD arc) and haven't gotten to the marriage and death arcs yet, so maybe it's improved.

It wasn't without its moments, though- I really liked the one-shot explaining the second voice box's origins. And the idea of people periodically harvesting him without his knowledge was cool too. However those flashback issues were too numerous and not as funny as they apparently thought they were- and the horrible dead Presidents arc that kicked off the run went on f-o-r-e-v-e-r.

14. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013

I've only popped in periodically, missed a few trades, but from what I heard they were stuck in "Lost Season 3" mode and told to stretch a lot of ideas to fill time. I thought the first arc was a hilarious idea, but definitely lasted too long; the only way I made it through that trade was because... *ahem* I rubbed elbows with Posehn a bit in my standup days [face_clown] but I definitely don't put that on Duggan. I think when they managed to strike the right balance between sincerity and irreverence, he was responsible.

15. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005

Yeah, they've gone mental with all the weird formats. I still buy stuff from them (Yarrick is coming out soon and I recently got the Legacy of Caliban trilogy) but not as much as I used to. It's one of the reason I tracked down and bought 21 Battletech books and a bunch of WFB books second hand (because now's the time to read WFB, after it's been nuked :p ).

16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    That is the storyline in with Alex and Rogue joining Avengers and later the Apocalypse twins teleports away all mutants wile destroying Earth because they did not like their step dad; and the civilization the mutants created lacked any new characters, just classic X-Men and Brotherhood of Mutant members, and when it come down to if they should timetravel and save the Earth or allow things as they were so were the splinter line X-Men vs. BoM?

17. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

And people keep asking me why I rather read obscure French comics, as well as Red Sonja and Conan comics.

cthugha and Starkeiller like this.
  18. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Yeah, the mutants seem to be staying where they are--but there's still apparently a multiverse, because they've confirmed that Spider-Gwen still exists in its own world (thank god), and now there's this Web Warriors series that seems to be sticking with the Spider-Verse concept of a team of multiversal Spider people.

19. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Speaking of mutants, I still think it's a hilarious case of life-imitating-art that according to federal law, the X-men aren't human. :p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

CooperTFN likes this.
  20. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    As I've said in the Diversity Thread, if mutants were real there would be no debate whatsoever about doing all sorts of horrid stuff to them. If people can convince themselves that gay marriages harm their straight marriages, just imagine how they'd feel about a guy with laser eyes.

21. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    "The Founders never intended that people who turn into giant blue monsters could run for office, no matter how eloquent they were!"

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

22. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    And what's even better is that they only did it to sell toys.

23. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Are you going to be the one to tell him no? :p

[​IMG]

24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Also he is a big beast, not a giant monster.

Starkeiller likes this.
  25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I am sure intolerant people will observe the distinction.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Sinrebirth , CooperTFN and Dante1120 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.