main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ARC-170 Questions

Discussion in 'Literature' started by ConcordDawn, Jun 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ConcordDawn

ConcordDawn Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    I was checking the OS ARC-170 Databank article, and a few questions popped into my mind.

1) "The narrow spaceframe flanked by large engines is common in Incom/Subpro designs, and can be seen in PTB-626, NTB-630 and Z-95 starfighter models."

I have heard mention of PTB-626s and NTB-630s before, but the only real bit of information I know is that they're bombers and similar in appearance, apparently, to ARC-170s. Does anyone have tech specs on them or pictures, or know anything about them, for that matter?

2) In this picture, you can clearly see an odd-looking marking on each side of the ARC's fuselage, towards the front of the 'nose'. What significance does this insignia have?

3) Why does the ARC have 3 pilots? I know the rear one mans the rear gun, and the lower front one actually flies the ship, but what does the upper front one do? He seems to have no purpose, unless it was his job to fire the triggers of the main guns- but that's not possible, because in ROTS, over Cato Nemoidia, only the lower front pilot recieves the orders, so he has to have been the one who both flies up behind Plo Koon and shoots him down. So what the heck does that third guy do, anyway?!

4) Okay, this isn't really about the ARC-170, but it relates to it. The Open Circle Fleet, units marked with the emblem of a red ring broken in two places over a yellow circle, is under the control of Obi-Wan and Anakin. I've read that numerous places. Why, then, is the Open Circle emblem visible here (look closely) on the side of the nearest AT-AP on Kashyyyk, clearly under Yoda's command? And why is it visible on the far wing of an ARC-170 at Cato Nemoidia in the picture linked above, in question #2? Isn't that under Plo Koon's command? It seems to me that the Open Circle insignia is all over the Republican Army, not just Obi-Wan and Anakin's units.

2. Qu_Klaani

Qu_Klaani Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    "3) Why does the ARC have 3 pilots? I know the rear one mans the rear gun, and the lower front one actually flies the ship, but what does the upper front one do? He seems to have no purpose, unless it was his job to fire the triggers of the main guns- but that's not possible, because in ROTS, over Cato Nemoidia, only the lower front pilot recieves the orders, so he has to have been the one who both flies up behind Plo Koon and shoots him down. So what the heck does that third guy do, anyway?!"

Im guessing hes the equivalent of the Navigator in some modern aircraft. Plus the ships do serve as bombers, and carry several proton Torpedos, so presumably he's in charge of targetting/firing them.

3. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    With regards to the co-pilot, since the ARC-170 is designed for long-range recon flights (Agressive ReConisance), the co-pilot is the one who works all the sensors and navigation equipment. When in battle, I assume the co-pilot would be in charge of target designation and keeping track of what's going on, as well as perhaps communications. He would probably manage things like shield power and missile selection, too, all the important but secondary functions, freeing the pilot up to just fly.

4. LandoSystem1138

LandoSystem1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2005
    with regards to the open circle emblem on AT-PTs, someone's post in another thread.

The reason for the open circle emblem on the Felucia vehicles is that reinforcements were 'borrowed' from the Open Circle Armada and dropped off on Felucia by Stass Allie prior to her arrival on Saleucami. It also seems that Yoda borrowed an Open Circle VenStar to get to Kashyyyk; hence the symbol on the Kashyyyk vehicles.

5. Gladiuus

Gladiuus Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2003
    Yeah, what LandoSystem said (I posted that, after all ;)).

As far as Cato Neimoidia goes, however, I have no idea.

6. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    easy explanation for Cato neimoidia:

Obi and Anakin captured Cato Neimoidia during LoE, and when they left it, they must´ve left behind several garrisons and troops along fighters to occupy this important enemy world. So Plo Koon arrived there to commandeer these troops and join them with his own reinforcements. the ARC with the open circle logo is just one of many left behind to secure the planet.

7. ConcordDawn

ConcordDawn Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    Thank you, those answers all make sense. Does anyone know #'s 1 or 2, though?

8. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    I believe the markings on the ARC ship might be some ancient mandalorian symbol, or even mandalorian/Taung writing letter, showing their connection to their past. I believe it will be retconned or turned into this in some EU guides.

9. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    the better question is:
    Why does Anakin's Jedi starfighter have a six-pointed Republic logo on it (watch closely when you see Artoo fighting the buzz droid), when the Republic gunships have 8-pointed Republic logos on them?

10. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Or why does Anakin appear to be Red 5 in the novelization, when his vehicle ( from color and markings ) looks like it would be Gold or Yellow 3.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.