main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Archieve and Beta Questions?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by STARDOG-D-JEDI, Dec 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. STARDOG-D-JEDI

STARDOG-D-JEDI Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 11, 2002
    I have questions that I hope you guys can answer. I am new at the fanfic boards. So bare with me.

Can a writer have their story archieved even after posting it on the boards to obtain comments on the direction the story is taking?

Also how does one obtain the help of a beta? Do they require the story to be complete before they check it out? Or will they check it out in segments?

Your help would be most appreciated!

2. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Many people post their stories on the boards first for the purpose that you have commented on; to obtain comments and feedback. Then they submit it to the Archive when it's finished. But the Archive does not accept everything. Each story is read by two reviewers, who check for spelling, grammar, narrative, pacing, and plot problems, among other things. Only those stories which are accepted by two reviewers (the editors will step in for a tie-breaker) are archived.

You can get a beta in one of many different ways. You can ask a good friend, or an author whom you admire. There is an official list of beta readers available from the Archive, where you can choose a beta or send a request to the entire list, whereupon one of them will contact you. In addition, there's a Beta Readers' Index here on the Writers' Resource Board where you have a selection of betas and can contact the one of your choice.

Good luck! :)

3. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    Also how does one obtain the help of a beta? Do they require the story to be complete before they check it out? Or will they check it out in segments?

Just to add to what Jane Jinn said, typically beta readers here in the forum proofread a story as it's being written (at least in my experience). For the archive, though, since it's for completed works only, typically the beta reader will read the entire story as one piece.

This isn't always true, though. I've beta read some really long stories for friends and found that for long fics, it's better (for me) to beta a chapter or two at a time. That way I'm continually able to see progress being made and don't get depressed at only being partway through a lengthy story.

Really, just do whatever works best/easiest for you and your beta reader.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.