main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Cincin, OH Archive Display at Celebration II, this we have got to see!

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by jedimike421, Apr 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedimike421

jedimike421 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 28, 2002
    Archive Display at Celebration II
    April 26, 2002

As your wander through the Star Wars Archive Exhibit at Celebration II you will find yourself woven into a web of connections between all five films in the saga. Here's a taste of what you have to look forward to in Indianapolis this May 3, 4, and 5.
    The following is excerpted from the archive notes that Dr. David West Reynolds penned for the Celebration II Archive Exhibit program notes. Reynolds is the author of Attack of the Clones: The Visual Dictionary. These represent just a small portion of the display that will be featured in the Wabash Ballroom One at the Indiana Convention Center.

Obi-Wan's Starfighter
    Attack of the Clones
    Full-sized vehicle

For Episode II: Attack of the Clones, George Lucas wanted new spacecraft designs that would begin to herald designs seen in Episode IV: A New Hope, visually underscoring the continuous history between the prequels and the classic trilogy. Lucas directed concept designer Doug Chiang and the Star Wars art department to work up ideas for a predecessor of the mighty Imperial Star Destroyer. While reviewing sketches, Lucas had an inspiration one day. "George suggested that we change the scale of a battleship I had drawn," Doug Chiang says, "all the way down to making it a single-pilot ship. Right away I drew a cockpit on it, and it totally worked."

Jango Fett
    Attack of the Clones
    Costume

Lucas wanted Jango Fett to have something of the air of a Western gunslinger, so Jango Fett was given two hip-holstered pistols rather than a rifle. One senses that Jango favors close, blunt confrontations rather than the hidden sniper's approach. Jango's WESTAR-34 semi-automatic guns are custom-made of an expensive alloy which can withstand heating better than ordinary metals, allowing Jango to fire a blistering volley that would melt the barrels of lesser blasters.

Amidala's Attire
    Queen Amidala kimono -- The Phantom Menace
    Senator Amidala gown -- Attack of the Clones

Episode I: The Phantom Menace introduced the character of Padmé Amidala, the Queen of Naboo. By the time of Episode II: Attack of the Clones, Amidala has stepped down from this post and become the representative of the Naboo star sector in the Galactic Senate. Amidala's clothing plays an important part in both roles. Attack of the Clones for the first time also reveals what Amidala wears when it becomes a matter of her personal choice.

Tusken Family Costumes
    Tusken Raider Warrior -- Attack of the Clones
    Tusken Raider Woman -- Attack of the Clones
    Tusken Raider Child -- Attack of the Clones

The original Star Wars film first featured Tusken Raider warriors--vicious desert nomads swathed in robes and bandages as protection from the double suns of Tatooine. "For Attack of the Clones," Doug Chiang says, "we had to extrapolate the rest of the family from Ralph McQuarrie's original design for the Tusken warriors. The masked faces of the Tusken Raiders make them more exotic and mysterious. Left to the viewer's imagination, they remain the stuff of shadows and nightmares.

Anakin's Jedi Costume
    Attack of the Clones

Jedi Knights traditionally wear a particular combination of simple robes and clothing, but there is no Jedi uniform. Individual Jedi are free to wear clothing expressive of their own identity, in keeping with Jedi philosophy. Anakin Skywalker chooses distinctive raiment expressive of his strong personality.

Owen's Speeder Bike
    Attack of the Clones

Owen Lars' antigravity speeder or swoop bike represents a type of vehicle that George Lucas envisions as commonplace in the Star Wars milieu, comparable to the motorcycles of our world. The design derives from the speeder bikes originally ridden by Imperial scout troopers in Return of the Jedi.

Rebel Alliance Masks from Return of the Jedi
    Mon Calamari, Nien Nunb, Ishi Tib

Episode VI: Return of the Jedi for the first time allowed George Lucas the budget to depict the variety of creatures and races united by the cause of freedom in the Rebel Alliance. A ra

2. Geekzapoppin

Geekzapoppin Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 24, 1999
    Ok. I'll bring the crowbar, you guys watch my back. We'll divvy up the loot when we get back to Cincinnati. Mwah ha haaaaaa!

3. padawan_schlicher

padawan_schlicher Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    I call dibs on the light sabers!

4. ImperialRecruiter

ImperialRecruiter Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 6, 2002
    Dibs on the Jango Fett armor!

5. padawan_schlicher

Mar 7, 2002
    I never found this while i was there...wish i would have writen down the ball room before i left

6. Geekzapoppin

Feb 24, 1999
    It was well-hidden to discourage people from finding it. Wizards would have much rather you give up and stand in a line for something that you had to pay extra for.

What was there was cool, but there wasn't much there. Tiny exhibit. The starfighter rocked, though.

7. ImperialRecruiter

Mar 6, 2002
    I don't have my program handy, but are you guys talking about the display with Anakin's swoop bike, the different lightsabers, and the turbolaser battery model?

8. Geekzapoppin

Feb 24, 1999
    Yeah, the room with all the costumes, etc. What was there was cool, but there wasn't much there.

9. ImperialRecruiter

Mar 6, 2002
    I agree. I was really looking forward to seeing more in that room, but on the upside, the lightsabers and the other weaponry were absolutely cool. That organic blaster was really sharp looking!

10. padawan_schlicher

Mar 7, 2002
    where was it? what was it close to?

11. Geekzapoppin

Feb 24, 1999
    Well, it's hard to say exactly where it was, as it was so crowded there that I just sort of ended up in rooms instead of knowing where they actually were. It was right next to where they were displaying the full-size Starfighter.

12. padawan_schlicher

Mar 7, 2002
    that might help if i would have actually seen that :( oh well.

13. ImperialRecruiter

Mar 6, 2002
    Not to worry, I've got pictures, but haven't got a scanner to get them up. Give me some time to see what I can do on that avenue.

14. padawan_schlicher

Mar 7, 2002
    i've got a scanner. If we still had a place to post them i would have emailed my pictures to you guys by now, but as of the last time i checked our webpage was down.

maybe when I come get our DVD player I can get your pictures and scan them for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.