main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are all the books the real star wars story approved by Lucus?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by MaskedVader, Feb 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    He gets a synopsis. He doesn't read the whole book.

The only one he went over page by page with was Matt Stover with the ROTS novel. Which is canon as you can get.

2. cyris8400

cyris8400 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 15, 2006
    As far as EU-ness been added to the movies, Timothy Zahn made up the name "Coruscant" for the Imperial capital concept/city-planet capital of the galaxy, and Lucas used it in the Prequels. Come to think of it, thinks would have *really* screwy if he didn't want to use it!

Also there's that Kamino-Rishi Maze thing from AotC. I was wondering, Rishi is an obscure world from an obscure trilogy of novels (Black Fleet Crisis). Unless an EU-aware subordinate suggested the name or he drew it out of a hat labeled "drawing of an EU planet I'll mention in the movie to show them I almost care about their frivilous books", I don't imagine Lucas being aware of Rishi's existence when he came up with the name "Rishi Maze". Since it has only two syllables, do you think it's just a strange coincidence and Lucas made up the the name "Rishi" without knowing that it was already an EU planet?

3. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Are all the books the real Star Wars story approved by Lucas?

YES.

4. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001

Come again? Splain if you would?

Well, not entirely. As has been said, he's approved synopsis of stories, and has rarely read the full stories themselves.
    Nor does he himself consider them to be the official, cut 'n' dry continuation of the movies so much as 'further adventures' that may or may not affect his universe.
    Basically, he let's you decide.
    So if your answer is 'YES', more power to you. Unfortunately (for some people) there is no correct right or wrong answer here. Some people would certainly like there to be (on both sides) as a way of affirming their opinion to somehow be correct, but there really isn't.

5. quad_gun_jinn

quad_gun_jinn Jedi Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    Rishi was also mentioned in TTT. Either a location of one of Karrde's backup bases or one of the planets the clones were being transported through to act as a false lead for the NR.

Its sad isnt it. I read it less than a week ago and I cant remember <sigh>

6. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    They are the real SW story, and if it comes out, it was Lucas-approved. Therefore, yes. The person questioning appears to have no grasp of canon (no offense[face_peace]) and so a canon debate really isn't the thing. He wanted to know that this isn't some sort of non-canon spinoff where "anything happens". It isn't. The important thing is to tell him that yes, this is canon. It's flat-out canon. It's The Way Things Happened.

7. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    It was the former. That was a nice nod.

8. Darth_Pogey

Darth_Pogey Jedi Master star 4

Apr 4, 2005
    The only EU George has openly said is part of his vision is Shadows of the Empire.

As for me, I think most of it is canon. But I refuse to believe that Palpatine came back to life. That's just so retarded.

9. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    From what I understand, here is the most recent version of the EU novel proces:

- LFL/DR approach author with offer to write EU novel
    - LFL/DR and author decide when it will take place and what it will be about
    - Author submits a 2-3 page synopsis of the story
    - LFL condenses it to a 1 page point-by-point list and submits to GL
    - GL goes through with a red pen and checks the things that can stay and crosses out the things that can't
    - Author makes changes based on GL's input and procedes to write 1st draft

The only book that was different, as mentioned, was Stover's adaption of ROTS, which GL read every line of and went through with a red pen. Apparently a lot of EU references were crossed out to make it more non-fanboy friendly :(

Actually, GL loved Dark Empire so much he gave the TPB out as Xmas presents one year :) He simply doesn't have the time anymore to read the EU, but he did back in the very early 90s. I'm betting he read TTT.

10. LtNOWIS

LtNOWIS Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    I've heard reliable people say that he only EU he actually reads is the comics, since he's a busy guy. Supposedly Dark Empire is his favorite, and it's closest to what his sequel trilogy would be like. Although he approves the plots for novels and such; one time I heard one of the authors for Jedi Trial complain about how Lucas messed with his book, as if that excused the terrible writing.

11. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

one time I heard one of the authors for Jedi Trial complain about how Lucas messed with his book, as if that excused the terrible writing.

Interesting. Awaiting the download of further elaboration.

12. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Actually, GL loved Dark Empire so much he gave the TPB out as Xmas presents one year He simply doesn't have the time anymore to read the EU, but he did back in the very early 90s. I'm betting he read TTT.

Is there any actual documentation of Lucas giving out Dark Empire out as a Christmas gift, or is that simply an EU urban legend? Personally, if I was close enough to Lucas that he was buying me a Christmas present, I?d be pretty ticked that the best he could manage was a graphic novel. I mean, how many millions does the guy have?

13. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    [face_laugh]

14. LtNOWIS

LtNOWIS Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    It was at a Sci-Fi convention, Balticon 2005 to be exact. The guy was on the Military Science Fiction panel. Apparantly the book was supposed to have more about Anakin edging towards the dark side or some such, but Lucas nixed it.

15. EwokStromboli

EwokStromboli Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 4, 2004
    And I'd add that he enthusiastically approves of the money those books bring in. :)

16. DarthSparhawk

DarthSparhawk Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2006
    Was not EU a "paralell world" to Lucas universe?

17. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    No. Lucas doesn't take too great an interest in it, but it's all GL-approved and a completely legitimate extension of the movies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.