main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are any authors still posting?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Wildwookiee, Jan 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wildwookiee

Wildwookiee Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2001
    The biggest thing that brought me to these forums was the fact that the authors of my favorite books posted here. Kathy Tyers, your elegant and emmotional writing really helped me to better picture the action happening in your words. I have been able to ask questions of the writers such as the aforementioned Tyers and including Aaron Allston, and they have been kind to answer even the dumbest inqueries that I had with respect. Unfortunately, I haven't seen an author post for some time, and have worried that the Lit. forum was dying. Are there any authors still out there, posting for thier fans on these boards?

2. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

Hey, after the death threats that Salvatore received, I would be surprised if any of them showed up again. Denning popped in late last year, and I really miss Salvatore's posts- both very nice guys.

3. ParanoidAni-droid

ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    I'm an author, shall I decloak?

4. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Someone said mid summer that Salvatore was still posting on occasion here, which was after the death threats. And Tyers said she'd be taking some time off, only popping in from time to time, to work on some books she was busy with. Don't know if she finished with it or not. But the authors pop up from time to time, usually when they have the time to do so.

5. Wildwookiee

Wildwookiee Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2001
    I really miss them...if you are an author...please, by all means.

6. ParanoidAni-droid

Nov 27, 2001
    Why I'm George Lucas.

Would you like your haircut now?

7. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

[face_plain]

Actually, Salvatore's last post was: 10/1/01 11:36am - only 3 months ago. I thought it was longer.

8. ParanoidAni-droid

Nov 27, 2001
  9. magneto

magneto Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 1, 2001
    hey can someone tell me about what happened with this whole death threat thing?

10. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    "Actually, Salvatore's last post was: 10/1/01 11:36am - only 3 months ago. I thought it was longer."

Yup... He posted his thoughts on the early release of the SBS spoiler...

11. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Magneto...
    Yeah, unfortunately it seems like a fairly common practice now for the extreme fringe groups.

Salvatore received actual death threats from Star Wars fans. He received them personally. Del Rey received them in care of Salvatore and IIRC even a small (very small) handful of posters here parroted the same things that Salvatore should be killed for what he did. What did he do? He wrote that the fictional character of Chewbaaca died in his novel, Vector Prime. To this day, there's still a small groups of extremist posters in the EU forums that have continuously slagged Salvatore non-stop for close to three years now - since the release of Vector Prime.

Unfortunately, this is not even the first time such actions have been used against SW authors. Shadows of the Empire author, Steve Perry also received death threats from Star Wars fans due to his Leia/Xizor scene in that novel (a fictional scene which amounted to essentially the seduction of a human by an alien).

A sad commentary about SW Fandom? Yes, you bet it is, unfortunately.

12. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    It's wose than the kind of person who cares about a face who does nothing in an AOTC scene, and then starts a petition about it. Morons

13. sith1137

sith1137 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 13, 2001
    man that is sad. i hope the admin booted people because of it.

14. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    RA Salvatore still pops in here from time to time, but I do not blame him for hardly posting. Certain members of the forum have shown him no respect whatsoever, and that is truely sad.

Kathy posted that she was taking a sabbatical from the net so that she could focus her energy on writing her new book. She has popped in once or twice since then, and hopefully will keep coming back every now and then.

Michael A Stackpole hasn't come since the move to Snowboards and his last book. I gather that it is because he is busy with other projects.

The same goes for Michael P Kube-McDowell.

Aaron Allston is the same, although hopefully we can get the chance to talk to him when his series comes out.

AC Crispin did come in every now and then, but again, certain incidents have unfortunately occured that have put her off.

Ann Lewis came in when the Alien Anthology was released, and could be back again.

Troy Denning appeared late last year, and hinted that he will be around to talk to us when SbS was released. That didn't pan out fully, but I still hope that we get the chance to discuss things with him.

Elaine Cunningham drops in every couple of weeks, and hopefully will be around when Dark Journey is released.

Dave Land of DHC appears, and could be back to talk more about the reprints and other projects.

Sean Williams dropped in to have a look around, and to say that he will be around when he and Shane Dix release their Force Heretic trilogy.

Jan Duursema is a semi-regular and can be seen posting every now and then.

I think that's all of them.

15. Ana Vitorrian

Ana Vitorrian Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 2, 1999
    Dan Wallace is still frequently posting. For what I believe is his latest post, check out the discussion topic "The Monster."

16. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    "Steve Perry also received death threats from Star Wars fans due to his Leia/Xizor scene in that novel."

:eek:

I'm shocked... No ? Really... Argh... Unbelievable !

No, "seriously", Steve Perry should get... huh... a... (crap... just realize that I don't know the name of any lit awards...) well the highest lit award for that scene ! :D :p

17. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Damn, I knew I missed one.

18. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Star Wars Gamer writers and editors are regulars here as well, Kadue.

Abel "Master of Obscure Continuity" Pena, writer of noteable Star Wars Gamer articles frequents here under the name Halagad_Ventor.

IIRC, a new SWG editor also came by very recently to discuss things as well.

19. JadeSaber

JadeSaber Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2002
    I think it's wonderful that some of the authors are willing to come in here and discuss their work with their readership.

It's really a unique experience for all involved.

Hopefully the unfortunate experiences of a few will not turn all authors away from posting with us.

:)

20. accrispin

accrispin Author of the Han Solo Trilogy star 1 VIP

Jul 11, 1998
    I have been lurking, but not posting, since it upset some segments here on TheForceNet. Several months ago I said I was taking a break, and would be back in 2002. Well, it's 2002 now. We'll see if there is a negative reaction to this post...if there is, I'll have to go back to lurking again, I'm afraid.

But I do read the topics, and when I think it's appropriate, I've emailed messages to respond to inquires about things in my Star Wars books.

I think what happened to RA Salvatore and Steve Perry is deplorable, but it doesn't surprise me. For some reason Star Wars fans seem more passionate and outspoken about the GFFA than Star Trek fans ever are. I've been writing for Star Trek since 1983, and never had a tenth of the problems with that fandom than I've had with the SW fans.

I realize that there are only a tiny segment of people who cause problems for SW authors, but they are a vocal minority and -- perhaps because they are young, I don't know -- they seem to respond at times with over-the-top reactions. There are boards (not this one!) where they pride themselves on being rude to any SW author that shows up, just to show they don't...uh, "kiss *ss."

Anyhow, I am here, just not saying very much.

:)

-Ann C. Crispin

21. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Thank you very much!

22. Mandalore74

Mandalore74 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2001
    When I first starting lurking on the boards back in October of 2000 I thought it was absoulutely awesome that the authors actully came and talked to the fans about their works. Since then I have had the priviledge of having my questions answered by the likes of Katyh Tyers and Troy Denning. I think it is vry unfortunate that a disrespctful few have driven away authors from the boards. I just hope that authors and other LFL affiliates stick around and do not take the reactions of a few as the sentiments of the overwhelming majority.

-Mandalore

23. Jedi_Anakin_Solo

Jedi_Anakin_Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 27, 2001
    OMG! A.C Crispin?! I *LOVED* the Han Solo Trilogy!!!! You are an *amazing* author!!!!!

24. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    Wow... we're being watched !!! :p

Well, since you're here, I just wanted to tell you I really enjoyed your books, and I loved the way you depicted the Hutt society... Very interesting... And the Hutt fight is definitively a moment of anthology, so funny. :D

Anyway, it is sad that some authors have to refrain from posting because of over-reactive fans... Now, if you think about it, it is also the case with boys bands in movies, too, if you take my meaning... Come on, people, if you don't like what an author has done, very well, you can tell it to the author in question if he appears here, but no need to be threatening.

25. barnsthefatjedi

barnsthefatjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 17, 2001
    Get of the damn forums, Crispen! ;) j/k

I think it's great that we get the opportunity to actually talk to the authors about their books. :)

Please do not feel intimidated by the sad few pathetic imbeciles who chose to do crazy things like send death threats. It would be a great loss to the JC if authors stopped posting here.

And no, most SW fans are not freaks who chose to send death threats to authors because they killed off a character in a fictional universe. I can only feel sorry for their parents. [face_plain]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.