main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are any major chains offering Destiny's Way at a discounted price?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JediMasterAaron, Oct 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediMasterAaron

JediMasterAaron Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 14, 2000
    I called my local B Dalton, the only major bookstore near me (Except for Hastings, but they didn't even have it), and they had it but for 25.95! They said they couldn't discount it for not being on the NY Times bestseller list. I don't know about you guys, but I'm not paying 25.95 for a 400+ page hardback no matter WHAT it is. Any of you guys have any luck with the other chains?

JMA

2. NikeSkylark

NikeSkylark Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 20, 2002
    my mother and i just today came up with a very simple solution to the problem of the book being very expensive: we buy one copy, she gets to read it then i get to keep it and she'll by it in paperback when it comes out. everytime one of these hardcovers come out we both spend the obscene amount to buy our own copies, i keep my hardcover coz i LOVE hardcovers and she sells hers and buys it in paperback as soon as it comes out in paperback. i NEVER share paperbacks with her since she almost completely destroys them but i doubt she could damage a hardcover the same way :)

~NiKe, DaRK LaDy oF THe SiTH~

EDIT: PS. that didn't help you at all did it??? :) i suggest trying alldirect.com later on... they don't have destiny's way right now but they should soon. the prices of their books PLUS shipping is usually less then store price

3. GreenLightsaber24

GreenLightsaber24 Jedi Master star 2

Aug 19, 2002
    Try Waldenbooks. Thay have it for 25% off--roughly 20 bucks.

4. Oby

Oby Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 16, 2002
    Hastings now has it, and on sale for $15.68.

5. Jedi_Lunist

Jedi_Lunist Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 6, 2002
    Oby's Hastings beats my Wal*Mart $19.37 w/ tax.

6. Caine

Caine Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 3, 2002

I got it from Media Play for $18.04.

7. very-superior

very-superior Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 11, 2002
    I paid the full price. Its only money.

Same way I end up buying the best comp stuff as soon as it comes out, and game after game for consoles.

Its only money.

8. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Try Borders or Walmart. They can usually get a lower price. Walden Books is a little more expensive, but if you have a readers card, you might get it for less.

9. Jades Fire

Jades Fire Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 1998
    Wallymart usually marks the books down a considerable amount. And if you wait a week or two, the major chains will mark down the books after they hit the BS lists. The major chains are counting on people to rush out to buy the book as soon as it's available to increase the profit margin on the books.

10. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I haven't gotten DW yet, but I got SBS and the other HC's at 20% off at Barnes and Noble.

11. Jedi_Wurth_Skidder

Jedi_Wurth_Skidder Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 7, 2002
    Only cost me $10.05 at Walmart... but I work there and get a discount. :D

12. Oby

Apr 16, 2002
    One place I will not be purchasing any books from, SW or otherwise, is amazon.com. They sell a number of books which defend the practice of child molestation. The proceeds from one such book go to its publisher, a pedophile organization. I refuse to do business with a company which offers the kind of filth which advocates the crime of doing such harm to innocent children and protecting the monsters who it.

13. flying_fishi

flying_fishi Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 26, 2002
    Oby: :eek:

That's totally despicable [face_plain]

14. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    You know there are freedom of speech laws, as long as the book doesn't actually show a child being molested people can talk about those things if they like, :(.

The books can be sold in any book store for that matter, and ordered if they don't have them on the shelves, because of freedom of speech. As long as it's just speech and not action, they are legal by U.S. law, :(.

Though the alternative is censorship, I'd rather know who and where these people exist, than have them working in the shadows were they can't be seen. I'd rather they put out 100 books so you know who to look for, then have 100 people out on the streets molesting kids in secret.

If you censor one thing what else will be censored? How many other malcontents or hate groups will you force into the shadows?

15. Oby

Apr 16, 2002
    Sometimes our freedoms come into conflict. Personally, I believe our freedoms are not absolute. They are tempered by responsibilities and limits. I don't have the right to shout, "Fire!" in the movie theater in the middle of AOTC because people could get hurt in the stampede to get out the only two exits. Anyway, I prefer to puchase my SW books from Hastings. They don't sell any books published by NAMBLA, so I'm not buyng from a company that does business with people who hurt children. If amazon has the freedom to sell that stuff, I have the freedom to purchase my books elsewhere. And I also have the freedom to let others know what amazon is up to so they can follow their consciences and make their own decisions.

16. Darth_Ugabuga

Darth_Ugabuga Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 3, 2002
    GRR my damn Wal-marts haven't gotten it in yet and when I inquire to the drones they reply with, "Hopefully we will get it in soon." GRRRRRR

17. Oby

Apr 16, 2002
    Wow, it's a week past the release date! Wally World is asleep at the sublight engine controls on this one. Aren't there any other bookstores near you where you can get it?

18. Jedi_Boricua

Jedi_Boricua Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 17, 2002
    I did not know that about Amazon, but I bought it from there two days before release, it had a 40% discount.

I ended up paying 20.50 after shipping.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.