main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are Athletes Paid Too Much?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by rhonderoo, Nov 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Do firefighters get paid for keeping in shape so they can do their jobs effectively?

2. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    no, but baseball players do.

3. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Can't really be sure if players only get paid for the work they do on the field. I just assumed that was the case when I was calculating. ;)

4. Master_Kast7

Master_Kast7 Jedi Knight star 6

May 12, 2004
    The answer is a simple, no.

5. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    When you have clubs breaking the bank and getting into debt just to pay insane wages to players then yes they are getting paid too much but thats the fault of the clubs for offering it.

~Example

Seth Johnson signed by leeds. He has admitted he was expecting to be offered £5k a week but was going to hold out for as near to £7.5k as he could get.

Leeds came in and offered £25k from the off.

He took it.

Overpaid by a huge amount and at the fault of the Club.

I personally have no issue with players enhancing their wages with endorsements and sponsorship and even bonuses but to get a salary that pays in a week what it would take a nurse 5 days to earn is scandalous IMO.

I believe they should be paid more as they are entertainers and they have a short career span but to be getting £8m a year (Ballack) is just wrong.

I personally feel that all players should be on lower basic wages but have hefty win/goal/clean sheet bonuses and have the freedom to take any sponsorship deal they want.

6. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    Actually, I think you are correct, and I was misinterpreting something I read. It was an article I remember reading a while back where Beckham received a $160million contract from adidas, which at the time made the most highly paid star. I think that contract has since expired, or alternatively the pay out was over several years. Either way he's not currently the most paid.

I honestly think the stats would benefit from showing pay (or winnings) from the team/company that pays the player or the tournament winnings they receive.

7. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    are movie stars paid too much?

sports stars and movie stars are involved in a highly lucrative market and thus deserve their percentage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.