main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

are bonus adventures canon?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by _ViE_AcheRoN_, Jun 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _ViE_AcheRoN_

_ViE_AcheRoN_ Jedi Youngling star 3

May 3, 2003
    in several of the STAR WARS ADVENTURES magazines there are short choose your own adventure stories and i am wondering if these are cannon or not. i know it sounds like a stupid question because they're so small and obscure but according to the bonus adventures jabba had a rancor and there were ig-88 assassin droids during the prequal era and this bothered me. so are they???

2. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Ya, they are canon. Though the outcome isn't always known, though a few actually were refrenced by later sources, and given finality.

For example the bonus adventure said that Irek Ismaren learned Mechu Deru evolved into his becoming Lord Nyax.

The Jeng Droga bonus adventure in Adventure Journal was later refrenced and expanded upon in Gamer.

Yes, there were IG-88's during the prequel era, starwars.com says as much under the movie entry. Plus we saw other IG brand droids as well. IG-88 is a character in the AOTC board game as well. Then there was an article on prequel era IG droids in Cynabar's(sp?) fantastic droids sourcebook. Refrences to IG droids in Boba Fett novels. IG-88 makes a cameo in one of the Clone Campaigns missions if you find him.

Hurlo Holowan shows up in Ep2 adventures.

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    There are also Paul Cockburn's Jedi Dawn and The Bounty Hunter choose-your-own-adventure books. As far as I know they were only released here in the UK. They don't bear the 'Infinities' label but I am not sure where they fall canon-wise.
    (Need Valiento's opinion here - I am sure he will show up sooner or later).

Edit - and Val beats me to it...man, you're fast..

4. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    I've heard they have been refrenced in WOTC articles, but no idea for sure.

5. _ViE_AcheRoN_

May 3, 2003
    so jabba had two rancors? that seems weird... are you sure their completely canon as opposed to having canon things in them, like boro nill and the crown of spade?

6. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Jabba's first Rancor was probably killed at some point.

But ya they are canon. Leland Chee said as much once.

7. _ViE_AcheRoN_

May 3, 2003
    i've lost some of my adventures magazines. can you tell me which issues have bonus adventures in them?

8. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Here is the list, numbers correspond to issue number;

"Bonus Adventure #1: Jedi vs. Jango";

"Bonus Adventure #2: Chase to Geonosis";

"Bonus Adventure #3: Arena Attack!"

"Bonus Adventure #4: Dooku Death Match"(not in magazine, lostworld)

"Bonus Adventure #5: Droid Showdown"

"Bonus Adventure #7: Protect the Senator"

"Bonus Adventure #9": Attack on Raxus Prime"

"Bonus Adventure #11": Infiltrate Jabba's Palace"

Which reminds me I still need to transcribe/paraphrase a version(most exciting/most likely path) of #11's story.

I do not know if there is one in #12 yet.

9. _ViE_AcheRoN_

May 3, 2003
    thanks, valiento. do the bonus adventures each take place about the same time as the book they came with?

10. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Not really;

The first "4" come with pre-aotc stories, but cover AOTC scenes, obviously if there are any differences, the movie takes precedence.

"Bonus Adventure #1: Jedi vs. Jango";

"Bonus Adventure #2: Chase to Geonosis";

"Bonus Adventure #3: Arena Attack!"

"Bonus Adventure #4: Dooku Death Match"(not in magazine, lostworld)

Books 5 and 7, appear to be before AOTC, but exact period is not known.

"Bonus Adventure #5: Droid Showdown"

"Bonus Adventure #7: Protect the Senator"

Book 9 was reprinted with an Ep1 adventures book(set pre-tpm). But the story occurs concurrently with the battle of Raxus Prime(Clone Wars game, and one of the Boba Fett novels).

"Bonus Adventure #9": Attack on Raxus Prime"

Number 11, was printed with one of the reprints of the ep1 adventures tpm adaptations. However, you probably have a better idea when the story takes place however, as I haven't read it all the way yet.

"Bonus Adventure #11": Infiltrate Jabba's Palace"

Is there anything stopping it from being set in the OT era (besides the fact that you have to use ep1, or ep2 cards if you play the game)?

11. _ViE_AcheRoN_

May 3, 2003
    there's a podrace going on during the story, and i believe those had been outlawed during the ot era.

but there is also a trapdoor into the rancor pit, and iirc jabba didn't have the trapdoor put in until he got the rancor luke killed in rotj.

12. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Well, outlawed yes, but that doesn't mean that there weren't any illegal races from time to time, ;). Hell there was Dug using a podracer during Jabba's demolition derby on Tatooine.

Wasn't there a mention of podracing in Dark Tide?

"jabba didn't have the trapdoor put in until he got the rancor luke killed in rotj."

I wouldn't worry too much about trap doors, those can be replaced, or removed, etc, and he's had at least 2 (one on board his space yacht, IIRC).

13. _ViE_AcheRoN_

May 3, 2003
    "Hell there was Dug using a podracer during Jabba's demolition derby on Tatooine."

maybe, but was he racing with it? :p

14. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Well death matches are illegal on Taris, but that didn't stop them from having underground death matches occasionally, ;).

15. _ViE_AcheRoN_

May 3, 2003
    or it didn't...until they got blown up. :p

but val, are you suggesting that an upstanding citizen like jabba would ever dream of breaking the law? :eek: clearly you're not the star wars aficionado i thought you to be. ;)

16. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Uh huh, upstanding citizen, ;).

Hell, I don't think his form of Demolition Derby was entirely legal, ;).

There is another reason why I think it may be OT era, and that has to do with the ROTJ pictures attached to it.

Since we are on the subject could anyone make me a nice scan of "Protect the Senator" at least page 2. My copy has part of the bottom page cropped off...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.