main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are both Splinter of the Minds Eye and Shadows good reads?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GoG, May 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoG

GoG Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 12, 2005
    I read Shadow Hunter / Cloak Of Deception / Labyrinth Of Evil.. And those are the only starw ars books I have read. Would now reading Splinter and Shadows ( im reading post a new hope on purpose) be alright?

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    Shadows of the Empire is a great novel. It captures that OT movie feeling in a way few novels have.

Splinter was OK. On the lower end of things. A few redeeming qualities but not many.

Read Shadows first.

For more info on where to go in the EU click on the 2nd sticky thread.

3. LijoT

LijoT Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 25, 2005
    I don't like Splinter at all, but it isn't as bad as some of the later books.

Shadows, I'd say, is a must read. It's well written, there're some nice actions scenes, and a lot of stuff from Vader's pov.

whostheBossk likes this.
  4. Exxaciel

Exxaciel Jedi Master star 3

Mar 10, 2005
    SotE is an excellent book with great Vader POVs, but it's very chatty in my opinion.

Splinter is the very first EU book ever written, so if you don't really count the events as a part of the timeline, it's a good read. Most of the details don't follow canon and are rather, shall we say "messed up"? I personally think that the GFFA wasn't developed enough when it was written. Good story though.

5. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    Splinter of the Minds Eye was the second Star Wars novel I read, just after the novelisation of the first movie. So nostalgic memories may cloud my judgment, but I have read it again couple of times and I think it to be a nice book. Not great, but better than half of the books sold under the Star Wars name. Pretty much same could be said about Shadows of the Empire. Greatness eludes it, but it´s a solid work. Sometimes the characters don´t feel quite right - I was disappointed with the portrayal of Luke, for example - but it´s worth reading.

6. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Shadows has some good scenes, but the pace is fast, the book longer than it need be, and prose quixotic in nature. I'm surprised Perry made it past the editors, but it's good to see a range of styles.

Shadow Hunter is badly written and plotted, cold and simple. His knowledge is sound, but like Luceno, Reeves uses these heavy technical words in simple sentences; repeats multiple scenes just to show from another pov; gives absolutely no background on Maul, his short NEGTC entry gave more; and has a crappy cover to boot. Check out how he described Pavan's appearance at one stage, and why say the tergivasator Hath Monchar instead of traitor? And what's with all the full names too?

It's a waste of potential, that's all. It could have been good, but no ne these days bothers to try to surprise you. Incredulously, we've been gettin' an armada of stories whose ending you already know befor starting lately. Amazing!

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Read Shadows but pass on Splinter (there's better books out tehre to read first).

8. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I really enjoyed Shadows of the Empire, and Splinter of the Mind's Eye wasn't bad.

9. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    Splinter of the Mind's Eye is my favorite EU novel. It was written before Star Wars was released in theatres in May 1977, so it has more of that "vintage Star Wars feel" than anything else in the EU.

whostheBossk likes this.
  10. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    i just thought it was released before empire strikes back was produced? :confused: i dont have the desire and can't be bothered to get orig release dates, as im not bothered, but just a thought :p

11. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Does anyone find it strange that Excellence took the opportunity to criticize Shadow Hunter in a thread asking whether or not Shadows of the Empire and Splinter of the Mind's Eye are good?

Neither do I.

12. Wampa_Joe

Wampa_Joe Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 3, 2001
    Splinter of the Mind's Eye is one of my favorite's, just because it's very much a product of it's time. It doesn't mesh well with a lot of the EU today, but it has a great "classic Star Wars" vibe.

Shadows of the Empire is, with the exception of the Knights of the Old Republic game, my favorite piece of EU. I'd recommend playing the computer game and reading the comic in addition to the novel though, because they both add further layers (and vice versa) to the material.

13. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    i just thought it was released before empire strikes back was produced?

Splinter was published in 1978, but Alan Dean Foster had finished writing it before May 1977.

14. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    Does anyone find it strange that Excellence took the opportunity to criticize Shadow Hunter in a thread asking whether or not Shadows of the Empire and Splinter of the Mind's Eye are good?

Neither do I.

[face_laugh]

15. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Read Shadows but pass on Splinter (there's better books out tehre to read first).

Agreed.

Better yet, skip anything written by Alan Dean Foster.

*cringes*

16. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

That's what happens when you misread the opening. D'oh! [face_blush] :oops:

whostheBossk likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.