main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are Clone Troopers Storm Troopers?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by SSD_Lusyanka, Jul 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Oops, forgot about that one Bib. :p

2. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    so as i said, if anyone can prove that carida is the same place as the "academy" that luke speaks of, please do.

the empire isn't dumb. They would have more than 1 academy.
    For example if one got attacked they need to have others or else it would definatly weaken the Empire.

3. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    Exactly. That'd be like any military placing all their troops in one place. I don't think the allies would have won WWII if all their soldiers were sitting in one location.

4. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002
    I think you're just in denial that I was able to post proof so quickly, and do not wish to accept that we are able to do so.

no, i don't think so. that was my point first of all, that there is more than one academy. that carida and the navel academy are not necessarily the same place. as for denial, that is what you my friend are in if you're still sitting there with your fingers in your ears, stamping your feet, and looking for loopholes in the wording of GL's latest statement confirming, yet again, that stormtroopers are indeed clones.

Plus, I Jedi states that Luke planned to join the Carida Academy.

bib, i have to be honest i just combed through the book and i can't find that statement. but i believe it's there if you say so. which annoys me because that's not what's stated in the encyclopedia, which was printed after such places as carida were spoken about in the EU. just another breach of continuity. although i also have to add that I'JEDI while being one of my favorite novels by my favorite EU author, michael stackpole, is full of contradiction to the movies. especially in the way it describes the lifestyle of the jedi. the whole idea of keiran halacyon having a family while being a jedi is a total contradiction. we know from epII that jedi are not allowed to marry. although we see this same contradiction in the book rouge planet with thracia cho leem.

things like this are why i refuse to take EU as absolute truth in SW. the movies can and will contradict the stories and ideas. GL marches to the beat of his own drummer, even when he ok's certain things, he'll still contradict them. case in point the stormtroopers.

5. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Not really.

Do you agree that the SW movies are a work of art? If so, then you must also agree that GL is an artist. Which in turn implies that any work of art is open to different viewpoints and the view of the creator may not coincide with what others view. So any of GL's personal views do not matter within the GFFA, as they are not "in-universe" views. The official stance of LFL is what matters as they determine what is "canon" and what is not. Sure, any reader or watcher can have their own interpretation of events and if LFL's and GL's opinions differ then so be it.

As for I, Jedi that was written before EP2 even began pre-production. So I would assume that Stackpole had no idea that Jedi were not allowed to marry. However, he did say that Corellian Jedi broke off from the traditional Jedi views in order to have a family. They are not the only Jedi sect that have done so either. It's foolish to think that every single Jedi during the PT era is not allowed to marry. It is also foolish to assume that every Jedi belongs to the Coruscant Jedi Order.

6. vw_jedi

Feb 18, 2002
    Do you agree that the SW movies are a work of art? If so, then you must also agree that GL is an artist. Which in turn implies that any work of art is open to different viewpoints and the view of the creator may not coincide with what others view. So any of GL's personal views do not matter within the GFFA, as they are not "in-universe" views. The official stance of LFL is what matters as they determine what is "canon" and what is not. Sure, any reader or watcher can have their own interpretation of events and if LFL's and GL's opinions differ then so be it.

your statemens are contradicing themselves. if it is a work of art open to interpretation, than any interpretation may be correct and the statements of LFL and GL are of no consequence.

if you only accept that ideas must come from an "in-universe" point of view, than the "official" stance of LFL regarding what is canon, is also not "in-universe." so therefore if you don't accept GL's statements than you also in turn can not accept theirs.

the only way to accept the stance of LFL is to accept that out-universe answers are valid, as are GL's statements.

i accept GL"s statements. i do not look at the movies as a work of art open to interpretaion. i look at them as movies written by a man which present his ideas, and his story. consequently his story is not set in stone and he apparently reserves the right to change the past as he chooses. ie: greedo shooting first...ect ect... i accept that in the GFFA the past is malliable. not set in stone.

As for I, Jedi that was written before EP2 even began pre-production. So I would assume that Stackpole had no idea that Jedi were not allowed to marry. However, he did say that Corellian Jedi broke off from the traditional Jedi views in order to have a family. They are not the only Jedi sect that have done so either. It's foolish to think that every single Jedi during the PT era is not allowed to marry. It is also foolish to assume that every Jedi belongs to the Coruscant Jedi Order.

it is foolish to think that jedi are not allowed to marry? hmmmm...being that it's a major plot point that anakin has defied the rules of the order to marry, i can't imagine why you would think this. and it's also foolish to think that every jedi is part of the coruscant jedi order? what other order is there? there is only one republic ruled by the senate of coruscant. where is this other jedi order? as you've seen in the movies the jedi work for the republic. there is one jedi council. if you read i'jedi you would realize that kerian halacyon is portrayed as being a jedi of the republic. he fought in the clone wars.

you strengthen my argument that the information of the EU can not be taken as gospel by stating that i'jedi was written before epII and therefore the information about jedi was not as complete. the information about stormtroopers from that time is also incomplete. now we know their origins also.

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>why must people always say lucas is "joking just like the statements made in the epII comantary about jango hitting his head. i heard too many completionists say "he was joking," yet jango was CGI in that scene. why would they take the time to animate a mere joke if it wern't meant to be a connection?<<

They say he was joking because HE WAS joking- he makes that corny head-bump joke a couple times. It's no different than him saying Yoda and Miss Piggy (or was that Kermit?) are related.

And they animated that head-bump as an in-joke to the well-known-among-the-fans stormtrooper-bumping-his head in ANH. There is absolutely no sensible reason to even believe it was meant to be a serious connection.

>>That's why Jaster Mareel went from being Boba Fett's real name to the name of Jango's mentor.<<

It was NEVER said Jaster was Boba's real name- that was only fan speculation.

>>The films are a complete story, a complete continuity, comprehensible all by themselves.<<

Except that, in this case, based on the films alone, it's impossible for all stormtroopers to be clones, so, if EP3 doesn't mention recruits being added to the clone ranks, the films will need sources outside the movies to explain that.

AND, if EP3 somehow establishes beyond a shadow of a doubt that all stormtroopers are clones, then the films will STILL need sources outside the movies to explain that because it is logically IMPOSSIBLE for the stormtroopers to be clones based on what we've been shown in the movies.

>>Actually I know full bloody well that until AOTC was released, Boba Fett's real
    name was believed to be Jaster Mareel.<<

That it was his real name was only fan speculation, and fan speculation doesn't mean something is official- even in the EU.

>>Check the Character's Guide from before the release of AOTC: Jaster Mareel is unequivocally given as his real name, and Concord Dawn as his home planet.<<

Check the Characters Guide from before the release of AOTC again: Jaster Mereel is CLEARLY given only as a former name Boba utilized ("the man once known as Jaster Mereel") and that Concord Dawn was the planet he utilized it on.

At no point in Fett's entry in that book does it say Jaster was his real/birth name or that Concord Dawn was where Boba was born.

8. vw_jedi

Feb 18, 2002
    They say he was joking because HE WAS joking- he makes that corny head-bump joke a couple times. It's no different than him saying Yoda and Miss Piggy (or was that Kermit?) are related.

he was? really, have you spoken to him lately? give him my regards. how can you presume to know what goes on inside his head? he didn't sound like he was joking to me on the commantary.

And they animated that head-bump as an in-joke to the well-known-among-the-fans stormtrooper-bumping-his head in ANH. There is absolutely no sensible reason to even believe it was meant to be a serious connection.

i didn't realize you knew the animators at ILM. again you presume. the reason to believe it's a connection is that GL says it. the other reason to believe there is a connection between jango and the stormtroopers is that GL said they are clones of him. even if you take that statement as a joke it is said twice during the commentary that the clones are stormtroopers. and now he has said it again in the set diaries.

this topic is tired, and has gone so far off the original topic. the original question is "are clone troopers stormtroopers." i think that even if you believe that there are human comscripts you also have to realize that the evidence in the films shows that there are also clones.

so the answer is yes, clonetroopers are stormtroopers.

9. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    ." i think that even if you believe that there are human comscripts you also have to realize that the evidence in the films shows that there are also clones.

For the fiftieth time, we're not saying that none of them are clones. We think it's a mixed group of clones and non-clones.

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>he was? really, have you spoken to him lately? give him my regards. how can you presume to know what goes on inside his head? he didn't sound like he was joking to me on the commantary.<<

I'm not presuming what goes on inside his head. He's obviously joking, it's not something you need to prove any more so then you have to prove that he's being serious when making a statement.

>>i didn't realize you knew the animators at ILM. again you presume.<<

I don't know the animators, but I do believe they have said that was the origin of that in-joke for the fans.

>>the reason to believe it's a connection is that GL says it. the other reason to believe there is a connection between jango and the stormtroopers is that GL said they are clones of him. even if you take that statement as a joke...<<

I'm not claiming that comment was a joke, nor am I disagreeing that there are not clones of Jango among the ranks of the Stormtroopers.

>>it is said twice during the commentary that the clones are stormtroopers.<<

And that is correct- the clones do become stormtroopers. That does not, however, establish that every stormtrooper is a clone- which, as I've pointed out before based on the evidence in the films, is impossible.

>>and now he has said it again in the set diaries<<

But now he's revealed there are multiple sources, which supports my claim that there is still more about the subject to be revealed to us that could not have been during the AOTC commentary track.

Additionally, those set diary comments reinforce the head-bumping thing to be a joke.

11. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    Matthew Stover, author of Shattpoint, said that his best idea as to why there were so few clones was a setup for when they would have have NO CHOICE but to take recruits. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.