main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are Clone Wars and Rebels canon?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Jedi_Lantern, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Jedi_Lantern

Jedi_Lantern Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 3, 2013
    Do we know at this point?

2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    The Clone Wars definitely was canon before the Disney purchase. As for after the Disney purchase, we don't even know at this point if there is a "canon" or not.

Darkskar95 and Dra--- like this.
  3. Jedi_Lantern

Jedi_Lantern Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 3, 2013
    So we're still sort of playing the waiting game on determining what's canon or not? Okay thanks

4. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Yes, both The Clone Wars and Rebels are canon, officially recognized as part of the Star Wars universe. Any and all works given the official Star Wars stamp by Lucasfilm Ltd, be they film, television, novel, comic, or game, is considered canon.

5. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    yup and you're welcome

Jedi_Lantern likes this.
  6. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    They are both T-canon, which is the level just under G-canon. They technically override anything else apart from the films (and novelisations).

7. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    Which, despite what some like to believe, does NOT mean that other works with contradictions at C-Level or lower are NOT canon, merely that what you see in the show, directly on screen (not to be confused with what a single person says in an interview, which can be subject to change) overrides what is said in another source.

This situations actually works much better than people think, because what is seen on screen often is more ambiguous than people may think. This is how retcons are, and always have been possible.

Even with Disney, Clone Wars will likely never be decanonized just as the original Marvel comics survived an attempted canon wipe.

Is the system perfect, and does it always work out well? No and No. But it generally works most of the time, even in our current state.

Episode VII, however, could be a major game changer, but nothing definitively has been said one way or another. Until those explicit policies are laid out in the future, anything beyond "Yes, it's still canon" is pure speculation.

WatTamborWoo and 07jonesj like this.
  8. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    As for Clone Wars: Yup.

As for Rebels, canon levels are something that George-era Lucasfilm did, but it isn't how Disney operates. Consider those distinctions gone from now on.

9. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Please stop doing this. People who are looking for genuine answers and don't know any better might just believe the unfounded opinions you're passing off as fact.

The fact is, Rebels is and will be canon. It's an official Star Wars product. Until otherwise stated by an official source, this is the official Lucasfilm Ltd policy continuing with or without Lucas.

10. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    Accoeding to Dave Filoni, and Pablo Hidalgo, all LFL departments are working together, and all future content has to go through the story team, which has paople from film, tv, books, and comics, as well as games. From now on their are no more canon levels. The heart of the content is the PT, TCW, REBELS, and the OT, everything new will be built around that core.

Corax78, WatTamborWoo and cwustudent like this.
  11. Narutakikun

Nov 8, 2012
    But it's simply the truth. It's like asking what canon level The Avengers, Thor, and Agents of SHIELD have in relation to each other. The answer: one level. That's how Disney operates.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  12. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    Dave filoni talked about the fact that everything's connected now at today's Rebels panel/
    Pablo Hidalgo has said on twitter that TCW is G Canon, but that doesn't matter since their are no more Canon levels

13. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    The starwars.com encyclopedia still says that all Stormtroopers are clones...

14. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    No, that's totally different. Comics are the original source and the films are their own universe (or version of the universe). In Star Wars the films are the original source.

WatTamborWoo and darklordoftech like this.
  15. Narutakikun

Nov 8, 2012
    And the actual difference in that difference is... what, exactly?

16. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    I'll still go treating Canon the only way I know how: all inclusive unless it gives me an aneurysm. Which happens to be most of Season 5 and anything post New Jedi Order...

17. Ani501st

Ani501st Jedi Padawan star 3

Mar 18, 2013
    Leland said TCW was T-Canon but Lucas said TCW was pretty much a part of the saga and considered it as G-Canon.
    For me Rebels is T-Canon as it is a non-Lucas involvement but TCW is G-Canon as Lucas said and because TCW is Lucas involvement.

18. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Well that means The Ewok TV films are G-canon because Lucas was involved in those as well. But they actually are not. Lucas being involved in non-saga star wars material, aka EU, does not automatically make said material G-canon. Yes Lucas sees TCW on the level of his saga, but technically its still lower when it comes to canon wise. If he wanted TCW to officially be G-canon, Lucas could have had that happen, and have Leland/Lucasfilm make it G-canon. But he didn't.

19. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    Wait a minute, when exactly did he say that?

20. Ani501st

Ani501st Jedi Padawan star 3

Mar 18, 2013
    If I remember he talked about it during early season 3 interviews or something like ( maybe season 2 ) that and some members of the forum also mentioned it, he has an Emperor Palpatine icon, not sure of the name.

That's the only thing that matters for me and the fact of his high involvement. As everyone has its own vision of canon and non-canon and EU and non-EU, even official things make their own things Leland T-Canon and Lucas TCW is G-Canon for him, I make my own canon and EU vision of things. It's the best thing to do in my opinion.

21. Narutakikun

Nov 8, 2012
    Quoted from another thread:

Like I said, there are no more levels of canon. That's not the Disney way, and it's not the Lucasfilm way in the "new era".

22. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Byebye, canon system. I hated you. Burn in hell.

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  23. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Is the post-ROTJ stuff still canon? What if two sources contradict each other - what happens in this supposed "new system?"

We don't know. Until a new system is detailed, the one that actually exists remains in place. I have no idea why people think because Lucas has left, every policy LucasFilm had was just put in a shredder.

Until a new system is explicitly detailed, the existing one exists.

If a new system is devised, we likely won't see it in effect until 2015.

WatTamborWoo likes this.
  24. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Nothing happens. Fans just have to use their brains more is all.

Source books would run with the most hip version (like today, isn't that funny?).

25. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Me?
    ^:)^