main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are comics canon ?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DEWORE-DEWKNOT, Feb 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wyl_Transerwnnyr

Wyl_Transerwnnyr Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 26, 2001
    'Dude, who the hell are you to be talking about crazy theories? We've seen some of yours that would make the Weekly World News blush.

While we're on the subject, I think that Kyle Katarn is really Vergere. After all, YOU NEVER SEE THEM IN THE SAME PLACE! Also, they are both Jedi. Yeah, take a gander at that piece of work.

On topic, yes the comics are canon, but some are more entertaining than others. I recommend picking up the Graphic Novels, as they are compilations of the various story arcs. Highlights include the Tales of the Jedi arcs "Knights of the Old Republic," "Dark Lords of the Sith," "The Great Sith War," and "Redemption." Others that are cool to look into are the X-wing series, and Outlander. Also, if you are looking for just some fun non-canon comics, check out Tag & Bink Are Dead, Star Wars Tales, and Star Wars Infinities: A New Hope. Hope this helps.

P.S. chissdude, the crackpot theories are great. They are worthy of a flying moose of Nargothrond.

2. Anakin1607

Anakin1607 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2002
    Almost anything in the X-Wing series is great. Dark Empire is excellent (II and End less so). A good one shot is Boba Fett: Agent of Doom. Crimson Empire has good action, but is weak on plot.

3. DEWORE-DEWKNOT

DEWORE-DEWKNOT Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 17, 2002
    I just orederd something from Dark Horse called Star Wars Tales Val I. It's like 254 pages long. Nothing like any comic I've seen. Am I on the right track ?

4. Nichos_Marr

Nichos_Marr Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2001
    I recommend: Golden Age of the Sith Empire, Fall of the Sith Empire, Dark Lords of the Sith, Dark Empire I, or even Union.

5. Wyl_Transerwnnyr

Wyl_Transerwnnyr Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 26, 2001
    Yeah, Star Wars Tales is a fun series. They're a collection of short stories and stuff. Some are serious, others humorous, and others are just plain fun. However, they are not canon, so they don't fit in with the rest of the timeline.

6. skawookiee

skawookiee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 12, 2000
    Yes! Star Wars Tales are excellent. It is a Star Wars anthology series. You ordered the first TPB, which came out just recently. Good choice!

7. loser_fett

loser_fett Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 5, 2001
    I just got some Tales of the Jedi TPB's and form what i've read they are all pretty good. Also you might want to try the Dark Empire series (since youve already read most the books this should tie in some loose ends). Also in a few months the Marvel series is going to be published in trade paperbacks. Good Reading!

8. DEWORE-DEWKNOT

Jan 17, 2002
    Skawookie

Thanks. Where can I go to find the rest of that sreies? Is it a series ?

9. DEWORE-DEWKNOT

Jan 17, 2002
    Skawookie

What is a TPB

10. Face Loran

Face Loran Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 1999
    TPB=Trade Paperback, they're a collection of comics that were originally sold individually collected into one book/comic.

11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Just about, yeah. SW Tales is a (quarterly? bi-monthly?) comicseries with 3 or 4 short stories (ranging from serious to comical) in each issue. SW Tales Vol 1 collects the first couple of issues in one graphic novel. The main difference between SW Tales and the other comic stories is most of the others are one single story or story-arc segment, as opposed to a short story collections. SW Tales does have some excellent stories though, so it is definately worth the purchase, I think.

As far as my personal recomendations...

The Tales of the Jedi series is EXCELLENT. Well, the two that occur chronologically first (Golden Age of the Sith & Fall of the Sith Empire) aren't quite as good as the rest, but the original Tales of the Jedi series/"Knights of the Old Republic" is quite good, which is followed by "The Freedon Nadd Uprising", "Dark Lords of the Sith", "Sith War" and the particularly great, last chapter, "Redemption".

"Dark Empire" & "Dark Empire ][" are pretty good, and if you are looking for some action-heavy stuff, there are both "Crimson Empire" series which follow DE and DE2.

For prequel-era stuff, "Outlander" is quite good as well.

And for a sort of combination of novels and comics books, there are the three Dark Forces novels, "Soldier For The Empire", "Rebel Agent", & "Jedi Knight" which chronical Kyle Katarn's story. Those are definately worth a read.

12. Isbeth

Isbeth Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    Valiento recommended Tales of the Jedi: Redemption to me and I read it this weekend and it was really great all around.
    I wanna read more in that series.

13. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Tales of the Jedi is good, so are the Dark Empire books. The Classic Star Wars series is always a fun read.

TC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.