main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are Corellians like Italians

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Nerak, May 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nerak

Nerak Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 28, 2002
    When I read about Corellians like Han solo, and corron horn, they remind me of Italians.

Are there other races in STARWAR that resemble your own nationality. Any thoughts

2. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Han Solo reminds me more of a texan or cowboy in some old west film. Course Harrison Ford did play in some movie with gene wilder, called "San francisco Kid", :), as I recall.

3. Nerak

Apr 28, 2002
    I'm talking about han in the Eu books, Not the in movie. What is ford' nationality anyway.

4. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Well a combination of the Han of the films and the Han of the radio dramas is how I establish how I see han in the books.

As for his nationality, I'd suspect, "American", ;).

5. Nerak

Apr 28, 2002
    yeah that anwsers alot. American to much of a melting pot ;)

6. stecm

stecm Jedi Padawan star 4

May 3, 2002
    Funny, I've have thought of Corellians acting more like Americans because 1) they're powerful and 2) they basically do whatever they want

7. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Yes, United States "Americans", about sums them up.

8. muuurgh8150

muuurgh8150 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 4, 2002
    I am italian... and I'd have to say that....... yes Corellians are a lot like Italians

9. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    I'm Californian, and I would say that correllians are alot like californians, and I'm not italian(though who knows I might have trace amounts of italian blood in me), :).

I would have to say that Wedge Antillies is alot like a scot, :D.

10. ParanoidAni-droid

ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001

It's funny how we U.S.ers have resorted to classifying ourselves by our states because we're such a tossed salad that there's not much else to go off of. I'm a Californian as well and when tourists drop by here, I see how they have all of these pre-concived notions of how and who we are(being as foreign to each other as citizens of another country all together.) And, I'm willing to admit, I have the same notions about them. If they tell me they're an Okie or what have you, it automatically evokes all of these things in my mind. Strange. The only other country that I know of where its people classify themselves to this degree is Italy. Anyway, sorry for throwing this discussion so far off topic.

~PAd

11. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    Two authors that have expanded on the culture of Corellia are Patricia Jackson and Mike Stackpole. Miss Jackson gave Corellians a sort of Germanic background with the invention of Auld Corellian, basically Old English, while Mike gave Corellia more of a Celtic/Irish Culture with its penchant for drinking whiskey and green stuff.
    Corellia is really nothing like italy.

12. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Well to clarify, you could further break states down by county, or towns, :). Because often the culture is defined by the enviroment in a county or town people live in. That surely doesn't mean that everyone is stereotypical, just that they might share similarieties in some degrees.

13. JediFreac

JediFreac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    Is this question stereotypical? I think it's way to broad in that it encompasses all italians. I think a better question to ask might be "Is Corellian culture similar to Italian culture?" because "italian" be defined in so many ways. Heck, italian is a salad dressing!

14. ParanoidAni-droid

Nov 27, 2001

I love watching people try to be PC. :D

...I'm not blind, I'm optically challanged...

~PAd

15. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    I always pictured Corillians as Americans..

16. ParanoidAni-droid

Nov 27, 2001

I pictured them like aussies because of their generally gruff exterior. To me, Dash looked like Mel Gibson in The Road Warrior.

~PAd

17. DarthClerical

DarthClerical Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 28, 2002
    Valiento: What makes you think that Wedge is like a scot?

18. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    I never really thought about any of this, actually.

19. Darth Thrawn

Darth Thrawn Jedi Master star 3

Mar 18, 2000
    Dennis Lawson who plays Wedge, is scottish and also by pure chance is also Ewen McGregors uncle

20. DarthClerical

DarthClerical Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 28, 2002
    Right, I knew about that. I'm also scottish, so I can see it in him. I was just curious about why he felt the character acted scottish.

21. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I see Corellians as being the equivalent of Americans.

22. GeistDesFritz

GeistDesFritz Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 25, 2002
    I was thinking more Irish because of the "Corellian Luck", the whiskey, the green and they just struck me as more Irish. And I'm American.

23. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I was basing my theory on the movies exclusively. I don't know enough about the EU Corellians to make an assessment based on the entirety of Star Wars.

However, based on what the above post says, I would be inclined to believe that they resemble the Irish. :)

24. Vongoid

Vongoid Jedi Youngling star 2

May 5, 2002
    Somewhere in EU (Han Solo at Stars End?) I've read that Han has programmed the replicators of the Milennium Falcon with his Corellian favorites, which were heavy on fat sauces and definitely didn't sound Italian.

25. Veng_Commando

Veng_Commando Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2001
    No, of course I personally don't like ittallions cause they take all the girls... I hate them.. grrr...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.