main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Are deleted scenes pertinent to Star Wars Lore

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Bob the X-Winger, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Bob the X-Winger

Bob the X-Winger Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    Did the deleted scenes in the OT still occur in the Star Wars Universe or does their exclusive mean they never happened?

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I would say they happened unless they contradict films that were made later. They were in the script and probably deleted from the final product due to time or budget constraints.

3. Bob the X-Winger

Jan 8, 2016
    I came across this channel on YouTube. They talk about the OT deleted scenes but they make out that had they been added it would have altered the film substantially so I am in two ways about the scenes. Not sure if I consider them part of the Star Wars universe or since they did not make the cut than they didn't happen.

whostheBossk likes this.
  4. OneTrueOverlord

OneTrueOverlord Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 19, 2015
    The only thing I can think that is really pertinent is the Biggs Darklighter things in A New Hope, even if the Tosche Station stuff messes up the pacing. If (Heaven Forbid) they remake A New Hope, I hope they rejig the opening act so that Biggs could be a more prominent person.

Sith-I-5 and Force Smuggler like this.
  5. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Pertinent? No. That's why they're deleted in the first place. Do they make nice additions to the story? Very much so, in my opinion.

SlashMan likes this.
  6. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_canon

The Holocron was divided into five levels (in order of precedence): G-canon, T-canon, C-canon, S-canon, and N-canon. These levels are no longer in use after April 25, 2014.
    G-canon was George Lucas canon: Considered absolute canon, it included Episodes I–VI (the released films at that time), and any statements by George Lucas (including unpublished production notes from him or his production department that are never seen by the public). Elements originating with Lucas in the scripts, filmed deleted scenes, film novelizations, reference books, radio plays, and other primary sources were also G-canon when not in contradiction with the released films. G-canon overrided the lower levels of canon when there was a contradiction.
    :)

7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

Problem is - it's very hard to tell which bits originated with Lucas and which with Other Authors.

And since then - the holocron system has gone, and there is only "canonverse" and "legends verse" - with deleted scenes being generally Legendsverse.

8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The deleted scenes that I like, count imo.

Avnar likes this.
  9. Nate787

Nate787 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 29, 2016
    "Canon" has become an absolute joke in the SW universe.

10. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Just make up your own.

Avnar, DavidSword79 and Nate787 like this.
  11. Nate787

Nate787 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 29, 2016
    Way ahead of you. :)

Force Smuggler likes this.
  12. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Easiest thing to do and keep yourself sane.

Nate787 likes this.
  13. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    And why should we care what "the holocron" says? They can't read Lucas's mind.

14. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Lucas never really talked about how pertinent the deleted scenes were to the films. He did say that he cut out scenes like the Biggs and Luke scenes on Tatooine for pacing purposes and because he felt that the final film got everything across. For me, the scenes that don't contradict the films (Shaak Ti's death, extended scenes with Luke and Leia in TESB) I don't count. I watch and enjoy, but I don't count them. Biggs and Luke's scenes I count because they're referred to in ANH and I like the scenes with Padme's family in AOTC.

15. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009

Pretty much this. There's very few deleted scenes which actually contradict 'canon' anyway (the only ones which spring to mind are one from AOTC which was basically re-shot, then included in the film, just with less characters present, plus the Senate scene in TPM with Adrian Dunbar playing Bail Organa). The whole Biggs subplot is referred to in SW/ANH anyway, even to the point where the 1997 SE included Biggs & Luke reunion on Yavin, formerly cut out.

I think there might be a few more PT deleted scenes which technically contradict the film canon, in terms of who died when (more of a concern with TCW, IIRC), but none of the OT deleted scenes really present a problem, other than the handful of lines in SW/ANH from Red Leader to Luke at Yavin about how he'd been impressed as a kid by the piloting he'd witnessed from Luke's father - snipped from the pertinent Luke/Biggs scene in the 1997 SE, but included in the OT deleted scenes of the 2011 Blu-Ray set. Even this exchange (well-known from the script, novel, comic et al) got a typical rationalisation/explanation in TCW, apparently.

TBH, unless something in one of the final cuts of the films contradicts it, I'll take a scripted and shot deleted scene over any other SW source - barring, of course, a quote from GL saying something like, "I can't believe we bothered shooting this crappy scene! I knew it was a bad idea, everybody else said it was, but the studio insisted we try it, we were under the pump, the budget had blown out already - so we shot it, and those studio morons said, 'This really doesn't work. We might have a problem with this film. WE HAVE NOTES.' And people wonder why I got an ulcer, a heart attack scare, and then quit directing for twenty years?"

(FYI, I'm sort of referring to the Biggs scenes, but things weren't quite like that - however, they were apparently prompted by suggestions to 'humanise' this very strange film - make it more like American Graffiti - then they were cut, partly because they didn't want it to be "American Graffiti in space". Anyone still want to work in movies?)

DavidSword79 and Lt. Hija like this.
  16. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Well, there is an extended love scene between Luke and Leia in ESB.....I'm hoping that's not canon.

[​IMG]

17. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    What is so terrible with Luke and Leia kissing? They don't now they are related, yet.

Maybe Lucas got it all wrong in ROJ:

LUKE Obi-Wan! Why didn't you tell me? (ABOUT LEIA BEING MY SISTER, YOU PERVERT!)

18. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    It's fun to watch deleted scenes and gain insight into a larger, if not inconsequential, part of the story. There's only a few major inconstancies that put a few sequences outside of the films' canon; Grievous killing Shaak Ti, Obi-Wan's brother Owen, Luke's intimate moments with Leia, [potentially] Red Leader's recollection of Anakin. Also, since Attack of the Clones was given major overhauls during and after principal photography, about half of the deleted scenes we have are eclipsed by scenes in the movie.

19. Bob the X-Winger

Jan 8, 2016
    That scene with Luke and Leia is in the original version.

20. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009

They're referring to the extended version of the scene (included on the Blu-Ray) which has Luke & Leia nearly sharing a genuine kiss, only being interrupted by Threepio (which is where the final scene starts):

[​IMG]

21. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    That reminds me, I remember reading that "domestic scenes," which turned out to be the scenes at Padme's house had been cut, and someone commented that he or she or they didn't think it felt right in a Star Wars movie. Following spoilers in 2000, I anticipated that larger world and seeing that kind of thing, but once I saw the deleted scenes on the DVD, they just felt really off.

whostheBossk likes this.
  22. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009

I felt AOTC suffered, to a certain extent, from their deletion - it would have reinforced the all-important love story, which ended up falling really flat. Plot-wise, they contributed nothing, but it's not all about plot.

Then they went back and shot that idiotic Donkey Kong-style sequence in the droid factory afterwards in pickups. The film certainly didn't need any additional running time (at 142 minutes, it's the longest SW film of the lot), I'm still baffled as to why they bothered, when so many interesting scenes involving, you know, decent actors, were revealed on the DVD.

SlashMan likes this.
  23. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    They should be renamed Luke and Leia Lannister!

Darth_Nub likes this.
  24. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Right. Lucas couldn't go back and edit out the scene where they actually kiss, because it would ruin the flow and transition between that moment and when we see everyone in the command center. So he left it in and has hand waved it as Leia making Han jealous. With the first scene cut thanks to Kershner, Lucas could make them related.

[​IMG]

25. ImpreciseStormtrooper

ImpreciseStormtrooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    Heh. Then again the 'we only operated to the best of our knowledge at the time' defence doesn't really cut it.

Napoleon fired canons at the Pyramids as part of a 'scientific investigation' of how they were built. Probably a reasonable course of action in the 18th century, but that doesn't make it any less appalling in retrospect.