main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are EU Readers Stupid?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Groovy_Ssi-Ruuvi, May 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Groovy_Ssi-Ruuvi

Groovy_Ssi-Ruuvi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    Somebody sure thinks so.

Theforce.net just posted new book-related info from Celebration II. It mentions the news about Zahn's two upcoming novels, Luceno's fifth hardcover, and trivia about Vergere's name origin.

It also happens to mention at one point that "Part of the reason Anakin was killed was because of his name. Having both an Anakin Solo and an Anakin Skywalker was thought to be confusing."

Wow... Somebody (and I'm assuming this source had to be a rep from Lucas or Del Rey) sure has a low opinion of Star Wars readers/fans in general. Two people with the same first name. ****, who doesn't know people with the same first name? Okay, they have the same last initial too. Well, ****, now I'm screwed! I'll never be able to tell the difference between those two.

Personally, I don't take much stock in the merits of this quote. I doubt that ever played into the decision to kill off Anakin Solo, but the fact that somebody (apparently in authority) said it, and that theforce.net reported it is down-right insulting. I may have opted to read "Heir to the Empire" over "The Grapes of Wrath," but I still consider myself a fairly intelligent guy. And if I ever find out that "confusion over the names" was accountable for the killing of one of the major characters in a new series, I will forevermore boycott all Star Wars literature.

That is one of the most ridiculous/offensive things I've ever heard, and I hope you all agree.

2. Darth_Reign

Darth_Reign Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2001
    Well then I guess Luke and Mara can kiss their baby goodbye. I mean because it's really hard to tell a baby from an old man.

3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    We must have posted almost simultaenously. I started a thread mere minutes before you did. :D

4. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    In my experience, most of them are. Most of the exceptions post here.

5. Groovy_Ssi-Ruuvi

Groovy_Ssi-Ruuvi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    Yeah, I'm gonna move this thread to the other one just like it.

But for the record, I think my title was cooler.

6. Anakin1607

Anakin1607 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2002
    Heh, no **** Reign.

Sorry Ben, you're going to be decapitated by a Yuuzhan Vong warmaster because a dumb marketing executive thought retarded readers couldn't tell the difference between two characters with the same first name. Sorry ol' chum. [face_plain]

Compeltely get rid of the curse if you will.~farraday

7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I agree. :D (with Groovy)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.