main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are fans really angry at Kathleen Kennedy?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by QuiWanKenJin, May 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QuiWanKenJin

QuiWanKenJin Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2005
    I am trying to figure something out, in the last several months since The Last Jedi premiered, there has a been a large number of videos on youtube flaming KK and reports that fans were insulted by the directors on social media, when they had voiced concerns. Supposed sexist remarks about male charcaters by KK, which I have not actually seen. The backlash seems to have increased, with the news that Lando has now been dubbed a pansexual character. What is going on here? I mean I grew up during the prequel era, and yes there were fans upset over the story. But the anger now, seems to be about something totally different. [face_thinking]

2. MaciekRS

MaciekRS Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 15, 2016
    We live in times when people are more and more angry at anyone and anything. It has nothing to do with SW. Social media created something that is simply destrying social relationships between people. Future is not that bright ahead of us, something will crash badly rather sooner then later.

3. Silent Android

Silent Android Jedi Master star 1

Jan 1, 2016
    I see a lot of YouTube videos spreading rumors that Kennedy is being fired, etc. Of course the legit entertainment industry press has no news of this. Do keep in mind that a lot of YouTube channels are merely clickbait meant to generate $$$ for the people that run that channel. They don't care if it's true, or if you agree or disagree with them. The fact that you bothered to watch their video means they have profited off of you. Just remember that.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    No, the anger isn’t anything different. I was an adult when the PT premiered and I well remember phrases, repeated over and over, along the lines of ‘George Lucas [sexually assaulted] my childhood.’ And memes made about that in the early 00s. Lucas took such horrific verbal abuse that he even made the comment that filmmaking wasn’t fun anymore—I don’t remember the exact quote but it was something about ‘Why would I make any more movies when people are yelling at me all the time?’

Any idiot with a mobile device can make a video and upload it to YouTube. That’s the difference between now and the PT era. Not fan backlash.

And no, Kennedy made no sexist remarks about the male characters. :rolleyes: (Don’t point me to the YouTube video that said that, I’m certainly not giving that commentator any profit.)

I don’t know exactly how these fans have “expressed concerns” to Disney, but if it’s anything as hostile as the comments made to Lucas, they deserved any backlash from Disney that they got.

5. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    I completely agree. I've seen some nasty human beings on Twitter going after members of the Story Group, Rian Johnson, etc.

Some of the worst creatures ever. I don't blame the folks at lucasfilm for fighting back.

6. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    It's almost the same thing as the PT hate with George Lucas. The only difference is that we didn't have social media like we do now to express our opinions or make click bate like a ton of people do now.

While a lot of KK haters do bring up some valid points, most of them go way over board and are pretty disgusting. It's one thing to want a person replaced from a job, but to start with these vulgar comments is just inappropriate.

What you will learn with this fandom is that no one is ever really happy. Ever since RotJ, there have always been these kinds of people unfortunately. In my opinion is that the best SW fans are those who take the good with the bad and appreciate what we get. Not trying to destroy lives of the creators and actors like so many have done over the years.

I just find it so ironic that the people who are saying KK ruined SW or George Lucas vision are probably the same ones who said the same stuff to George Lucas and the PT back in the day. Not everyone obviously but a lot. For those who hated the PT but hate the Disney SW now has to be feeling pretty stupid. You drove GL out just because he made a few movies you didn't like? Like really? Be careful what you wish for.

7. ohms

ohms Jedi Master

Jul 7, 2002
    I think the hate is magnified by social media. The 'boycotts' of these new movies, calls of SJW and PC, and Kathleen Kennedy's 'feminist agenda' have been there from the start. With the negative reaction to TLJ it has increased somewhat and gained more attention, with more online voices now saying she should step-down. It's worrisome if any of this has an impact and Disney shareholders act on it.

I hope she stays. There are a ton of interesting things in the pipeline from Lucasfilm. The Benioff/Weiss film series (KotOR?), Faveau's post-RotJ TV show, more SW spin offs, Indy 5. Lot's of stuff from different creators. I hope KK stays to get all this started at least, see out the sequel trilogy and get the ball rolling on the TV show and more.

8. BadCane

BadCane Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2015
    Did you guys see the official Star Wars Instagram post wishing KK a happy birthday? I was disgusted by the comments. I felt really sad.

9. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    There are people I hesitate to call fans who hate KK. Then there are people who may dislike the direction she has taken things and that’s more reasonable. I don’t think she is going anywhere anytime soon. I don’t think Disney cares one bit as long as the majority of movies and other products make money.

10. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    The comments under Kelly Marie Tran's birthday post a few months back were revolting. I mean truly, genuinely disgusting. I've since stopped looking at the comments on any Star Wars social media account.

DarthKamen, ohms, spicer and 6 others like this.
  11. Mandalorian Riddler

Mandalorian Riddler Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2018
    Seems like the fanbase is in full toxic mode. Its sad, I have my views on KK but I like her, just think she should have a different role. And Kelly... the IG thing is so sad.. hope she comes back soon.

12. Harbour

Harbour Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 15, 2015
    Is it some sort of damage control started to mute the Solo situation? I mean, i saw these KMT backlash threads spawning around the web like a mushrooms today.
    Not gonna tolerate the scum that insulted KMT though. Its absolutely not her fault that her character was written that way and given these lines of dialogue/monologue. Hope she is fine. I wouldn't want to be in her place. Imagine you kinda like SW, starred in episodic SW movie, and would be mostly remembered as a bad character. Thats not the way id wanted to be remembered. Feel sorry for her.

Darth Nobunaga likes this.
  13. Lukers

Lukers Jedi Master star 1

Jun 16, 2016
    The people who claim she is going to be fired for one flop are a bit excessive when the other three movies she made grossed over one billion dollars (one of them going on to be the biggest film in American history unadjusted). People just like to pin their frustrations out on her, when they forget that she was the producer for some of their favorite movies. She has made some mistakes, such as trying to go out after hot fresh indie directors who were not prepared for mainline movies and seems afraid to branch out creatively at times, but she is responsible for revitalizing the brand. Lucas gave the reigns to her on purpose. We will wait and see what the future has in store for and Star Wars as a whole.

There are some truly disgusting comments thrown her way on the internet.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  14. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    The hate that Kennedy is getting lately is horrifying indeed. Those that genuinely dislike the new Star Wars movies have every right to not like them, but being rude and extremely aggresive towards the people behind the movies is not an option! Also, I honestly don't see very good arguments as to why Kennedy should be fired. She is a true Hollywood producing legend, having produced some of the most successful and influential movies in cinema history (e.g. E. T., Jurassic Park, Indiana Jones, Schindler's List...). It is not easy to come by another producer with an impressive resume as hers. Some point out the Solo being a "flop" at the box office is the reason to fire her. Well, even if Solo doesn't earn a cent more than it has now, don't forget that she produced the previous three Star Wars movies that have been incredibly successful financially (and critially too!), with The Force Awakens being THE most successful movie at the box office of all time until Avengers: Infinity War. With 3 out of 4 major successes and only one not so successful movie at the BO, the odds are strongly in Kennedy's favour at the moment.

15. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    I don't think it's fair to be aggressive towards her, but I just don't think she understands the fan base well enough to continue. I am kind of mad, but I'm more mad at Rian Johnson.

16. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    And what exactly constitutes "understanding the fanbase"?
    Sounds like and underhanded attempt of saying that your opinion somehow equals the general opinion of the fandom to me, or that your opinion is the only right one, which couldn't be further from the truth, because no fan speaks for the fanbase.

Simply put, anyone who claims to speak "for the fans" or pretends to know "what the fans want" shows nothing but arrogance. Not to mention a lack of decency and logic. The fandom is a vast group of people, with many different opinions. There is no "true" opinion, nor is there anything one could possibly understand about the fanbase beyond it being split into various groups holding different opinions, which are impossible to please all at the same time.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  17. BaronNoir

BaronNoir Jedi Master star 1

Sep 6, 2001
    The people droning about Kennedy are not very good at hiding their agenda-since apparently, her wearing a t-short with a lame slogan is enough proof that she is there to push ''politics'' in SW movies. I genuinely wonder where those fans where during the ancient canon and movie I to VI, since apparently, implying that the Imperials are space Nazis (and woefully incompetent ones) is a ''SJW'' thing.

You are left wondering too what mental age are those fans, since we see amongst other ''arguments'' that ''TLJ shows that wumin are better in command than white males'' (implying that TLJ, and only TLJ, suggested that the Galactic Empire navies are commanded by imbeciles) or people persuaded that she ''assassinated'' Luke Skywalker the white male because Mark Hamil said it was not the same Luke in an interview (FFS, do you believe that mall Santas are Santa Claus ?)

18. ClumsyDentist

ClumsyDentist Jedi Knight

Apr 9, 2016
    I personaly start to think that those “fans“ are not fans at all.

The complaints from certain parts of the Internet startet with the first trailer for TFA and aimed at Fin simply because he was black.

But back then the same people also complained that the “jewish“ controlled media were pushing an anti white / anti male agenda in all kind of movies.

I think those guys just found a vehicle for their toxic propaganda in the star wars franchize after a lot of people were disappointed in TLJ.

We should be aware that there is indeed some sort of political agenda beeing pushed but it is not LFL or KK but alt right internet

Space_Wolf and ohms like this.
  19. Edgar Allen Poe Dameron

Edgar Allen Poe Dameron Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 7, 2015
    The Hybrid Network posted a video quoting a source called "The Ankler" about KK leaving. Never heard of them, sounds like nonsense. If the Hollywood Reporter reported it, sure, but what the hell is "The Ankler". Looks like a Geocities site from the 90's

Silent Android likes this.
  20. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    I could have sworn I saw them post it twice. Hopefully not because the first time there were too many vulgar comments. I refused to go through any of it.

The more I think about it, I feel KK's status is safe. I just think if anything she will be the one to walk away from it if it becomes too much for her to handle. Hopefully she isn't getting distracted by the nonsense.

21. GaiusBaltar6

GaiusBaltar6 Jedi Youngling

May 26, 2018
    If you really take an in-depth look at a lot of what these You-tubers have to say, there is a LOT of B.S. being spread right now. I looked for proof that Lucasfilm actually said negative things to fans, but couldn't find anything concrete. Half of them already are saying that Kathleen Kennedy is either on the ropes or fired, and she's clearly not. Right now, any clear thinking fan that wants honest news should stay clear of You-tube. So far, I haven't heard anything of this type on Rebel Force Radio (I'm a subscriber through Castbox on my Android). But we should stay away from You-tube until they can truly report honest, credible information that can be backed up.

Space_Wolf likes this.
  22. Gahmah Raan

Gahmah Raan Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2015
    Aside from a select few channels, the Star Wars Youtube community is barely any different from supermarket tabloids at this point.

Silent Android and Lukers like this.
  23. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    I had never heard it either. It's a for pay goings-on-inside-Hollywood newsletter. I've seen others who are familiar with it say the guy who runs it (Richard Rushfield) does sometimes accurately dish on stories weeks before the trades get involved. But after I read the particular excerpt in question it doesn't sound like he has a source telling him this. It's just a "some people are saying" situation which is open speculation more often than not.

The one part of it that stuck out to me though is he was saying the rumor was that she would be stepping down in September. I'm not sure what the significance of that timing would be. It seems oddly specific.

24. Bossk74

Bossk74 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 15, 2016
    It's hard to gauge the fan base accurately... but the numbers don't lie. If the next Star Wars Episode stumbles at the box office then the perception of fan backlash should absolutely be looked at. I believe the poor reception of Solo at the Box office is a bit of Star Wars fatigue combined with fan back lash. Either way it isn't good for the franchise if there is a perceived adversarial relationship between the fans and Kathleen Kennedy. Perhaps a new direction for the franchise would be healthier going forward.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  25. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    The Force Center Podcast is quite good actually. But for the most part you are right. Lots of channels that I liked have went off the deep end.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.