main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are fans really angry at Kathleen Kennedy?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by QuiWanKenJin, May 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    That is such an empty point, it really couldn't be any less meaningful.

If the only possible "creative direction" could come from Lucas himself, then your whole point has no meaning at all. Any decision made, regardless of whether it was "great" and/or popular or the opposite of it, would be just "the fan's vision". It could be better than anything Lucas ever delivered and that point would still hold true. This autoamtically disqualifies your entire argument, as there is nothing Disney could do about it to make it any different.

This claim to split it into the legal and creative answer is absurd to say the least. Lucas handed the franchise over to someone else, he wanted others to tell stories in this universe. As such, those who he gave the "burden" to lead Star Wars into the future decide what Star Wars is and what it isn't. This is hardly the first time a series of any kind moved on with different creative leads. Fans - or the audience in general - can decide what they like and don't like, but that is just a fan-opinion. An opinion that already existed before, as there are quite a few fans who don't consider the prequels part of "their" Star Wars either. None of those fan-opinions change that Star Wars is what Lucas has build and what his chosen successors at Lucasfilm continue now.

Contreras1991 likes this.
  2. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    @Alexrd has made it very clear in the past that the only Star Wars properties he acknowledges are those that were overseen directly by Lucas, if I'm understanding things correctly. And that's fine if that's what he believes. I don't really think there's a point in continuing a debate that will just end up going in circles.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  3. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I find it to be quite meaningful.

Nothing? There's quite a lot. For starters, Disney could have not discarded the content he left them.

I think I've explained my argument quite clearly, there's nothing absurd about it. The 'creativity' has moved from the creator to a certain group of fans. A group that, legally, have the license and are authorized to work on it. But in terms of creativity, they are on the same level as everyone else. This is really not that hard to understand.

eko32eko7 likes this.
  4. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Everyone is only going as far back as the PT. Way back in 1983 after ROTJ I had to hear, "OMG! The Ewoks are so stupid! They're not cute. Gremlin were cute. George Lucas ruined Star Wars with Ewoks!"

Then these folks grew up and got computers so now everyone gets a taste of their nonsense.

5. Space_Wolf

Space_Wolf Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2007
    I would say that all of the troubles are from right-wing bullies who are using the 'diversity' of new characters and the de-canonizing of Legends to promote a racist, anti-feminist and anti-LGBTQ agenda, and aren't real Star Wars fans at all. It's really sad and disappointing that Kathleen Kennedy, Kelly Marie Tran, Daisy Ridley and others have been subjected to abuse. It's not what fandom's about - we are supposed to support the folks creating what we love, not bully them. I do hope that Kathleen Kennedy does not step down.

6. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Yes, and in addition it puts people who say e.g. I did not like Rose character or why have Holdo when there is Ackbar automatically in the right wing corner which is simply not true. It must be allowed to say "I would have replaced Holdo with Ackbar" the same way as "I find Poe terrible" without being called sexist or alt right.
    In addition, KK is doing her job. Kelly, Laura, Daisy are doing their job - and they did it very good when it comes to acting.
    Why do people attack an actor when they don't like the character the actor is playing? I will never understand that.
    Looking at the passion and joy Kelly and Daisy showed before TLJ, it makes me sad when I think about how they must feel now.
    They really tried their best and are for sure not the ones to blame for anything.
    For me the only mistake from KK was to not insist on a brief storyline for the ST and let Rian do whatever he wants.
    IMO it was a mistake but to not have a predefined storyline is of course a path that a CEO can go if the CEO wants to take some risk. She took the risk and maybe it did not work. Looking back on what she achieved so far it is simply laughable to say she should step down.
    She is a professional successful producer and she will for sure make the necessary corrections if needed.

7. crazyewok

crazyewok Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 27, 2017
    She did say the force was female, deliberately to stir up controversy.

The force does not need a gender. It is accessible to all male, female or if your a transgender transdosian.

Sith-I-5 and black_saber like this.
  8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    She wore a T-shirt - not the same thing.

9. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I keep pointing out to people that there use of "SJW" means they don't like blacks and women being cast in films. They seem to ignore that.

10. JediDotNet

JediDotNet Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    A Nike T-Shirt to be exact for a Nike promotion geared towards women and nothing to do with Star Wars. I mean what female Star Wars fan that could afford it wouldnt pick up a T-Shirt that says "The Force is Female"?

11. JediDotNet

Oct 31, 2012
    Yup SJW is a dog whistle term used by people who are to afraid to say what they really mean and other people forwarding on not knowing what it really means.

12. Silent Android

Silent Android Jedi Master star 1

Jan 1, 2016
    Just like life itself.

13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I want one of those shirts, and I have no problem with the idea of male Force users, in fact, I think a lack of male Force users would be ridiculous.

Jedi Knight Fett and Iron_lord like this.
  14. crazyewok

Oct 27, 2017
    I just don' think the force should be gendered. It just seems ridiculous.
    The force is the force. It favours no gender.

A tee shirt that's says the force is male would be shot down as sexist and non inclusive so why should a force is female be diffrent?

Just keep the force ungendered and equally open to all.

Jedi of Baker Street likes this.
  15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yes, “the Force is male” would be shot down as sexist, but men and women have not exactly started out on a level playing field historically in society, so there is going to be a difference in reception.

And the Force is equally open for all. Kennedy has never said or insinuated otherwise.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  16. crazyewok

Oct 27, 2017
    Sorry but I don't deal in double standards. If it' unaccepbtle for one then it's unacceptable for all. You cant have equality through inequality and trying to do so just spurs on push backs and alienates moderates like me. Equality is perfectly fine, pushing the imbalance the other way creates resentment.

The force has no gender, simple as. Equality for all.

black_saber likes this.
  17. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Dude.

It's just a stupid promotional T-shirt.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  18. crazyewok

Oct 27, 2017
    If you are representing a multi billion dollar franchise you need to consider EVERYTHING you do or wear and how it will be perceived by the public,

Hell I work in a school and I have to be careful that what I do does not impact the school.

black_saber and Jedi_Fenrir767 like this.
  19. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Yeah, because there are people like you that I need to say "It's just a stupid promotional T-shirt" to.

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I’m actually not concerned with “alienating” people who do not care to look at the historical injustices perpetrated against women, POC and LGBTQ people, or who think that those injustices are in the past and everyone should just get over it.

If people are mad at Kennedy over a Nike T-shirt, let them be mad.

I work at a school as well and if people get mad at me for wearing my “Educators Strike Back” shirt or get mad at a colleague for wearing a “Don’t Make Me Take Another Day” shirt...I’m not concerned about that either.

21. crazyewok

Oct 27, 2017
    And this is where the SJW critism comes in........

And also why it does not sell.

Most people are moderates like me and don't lean in one extreme way politicaly or another. At least not outside the USA anyway.

I am happy to see strong female leads and people of colour on screen.
    That is not a issue

What puts people off however is getting preachy or worse forcing a imbalance the otherway with reverse sexism and reverse racism.

You don' care if it alienates us? Well that' a huge part of the fanbase.
    And a lot of people don't agree with fighting inequality with more inequality.
    That might fly in a special intrest Sundance film but will eventually sink mainstream film franchise.

Be inclusive yes but don't indulge in extreme policys of reverse sexism or reverse racism.

If you want to address past historical abuses, you should do it via education. Not by forcing those same injustces on the other side.

22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I do think Holdo came across as preachy but it was a mockery of feminism instead of a representation of it. People covered the “SJW” commentary earlier...it toes the line of the hate speech policy on this site because it is generally a dog-whistle for the “right” to view women as lesser than men or POC as lesser than white people.

As far as addressing historical abuses through education...I’m all in favor of that, and I find that I can find the true nature of people by their willingness to listen and understand the perspective of women/POC/LGBTQ people as opposed to arguing that their views on historical injustices are invalid and they should just get over it. However, this isn’t the forum for it, there are a couple of threads in the Senate Floor.

I will add that Rey toed the line of the traditional “damsel in distress” role by trying to “fix” a mass murderer and letting him make her cry, and Finn portrayed several terrible stereotypes of African American stereotypes, so the idea that Kennedy has some liberal feminist agenda is laughable.

Jedi Knight Fett and JediDotNet like this.
  23. crazyewok

Oct 27, 2017
    Actually I did not have a problem with her...... well except the purple hair and ackbar had to die.
    Not a fan of her leadership style, but then men can be just as arrogant and up themselves.

Well I am not advocating treating women or people of colour as lesser.
    I am advocating as treating them as equals.
    What I am against is treating them as more than equal.

I won't comment further as this isn't the place then.

I don' know if I agree with the Rey part as redemption has always been a part of starwars.

But I agree with Finn, I hate the way his character was handled in the last jedi.

24. Jedi_Fenrir767

Jedi_Fenrir767 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 16, 2013
    Finn was absolutely awful in TLJ and went from an interesting character to idiotic comic relief. One of my main reasons that I hate TLJ and am disappointed in the direction KK has let the franchise be taken.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  25. JediDotNet

Oct 31, 2012
    Dont give me this we cant even pass an amendment to our constitution that says women are equal. Men need to stop whining about double standards when literally white men put in the standards we have in place.

Its just a cute T-Shirt that any woman should feel proud to where. You know that the term SJW before it was co-opted was about people that got over emotional about social justice issues. Now it has a new meaning. Yet a another term should be created that mimics the original over reaction, but for people that overreact to women and minorities presenting an opposing issue even if just in fun.

You got close to admitting what SJW now means. As for Star Wars and preaching and representation it hasnt even go close to either being preachy or have an imbalance towards females and people of colour. It is still balanced towards white men. But if it gets close it is a threat to a certain type of people.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.