main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are humans in the PT so pathetic that they can't Podrace?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by starwarsagent, Oct 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starwarsagent

starwarsagent Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    I mean come on. why don't humans Podrace? is it too hard or something? Anakin says he's the only human who could do it. so why can't other humans do it? I never understood this. is it the small cockpit or something on the pod itself or is it racism. how come aliens can do it but not humans. It would have been better to have had all human racers in TPM I think. what do you guys think?

2. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    So only having one human is racist, but only having humans is fine?

Anakin was a kid. He was either probably exaggerating or he was the only human in that area that qualified for races.

3. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    Humans generally do not race podracers because their reflexes are not quick enough to safely maneuver the pod. Anakin is only able to do so because of his connection to the force.

4. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
  5. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Sebulba and all the other podracers who race in the Boonta Eve, have either multiple limbs which can be used to pilot the pod or something else which allowed them to race. Anakin, being a Force user, had the necessary reflexes that would allow him to race.

6. starwarsagent

Jul 4, 2004
    lol, so humans don't race because they don't have 3 arms and 3 legs? hahahah. that's funny man. but how about modifying a racer with some other gadgets. I'd like to see chewbacca in a podrace, he's a great pilot and I'm sure he would win. the wookies are great pilots i see from the OT.

7. Darth_Davi

Darth_Davi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 29, 2005
    Non-Force using humans do not have the reflexes to do it. If they were going 200 mph, like NASCAR top speed, on an oval track without obstacles, yes, they could. But, for Podracing, where its not only going over double that speed, but with obstacles in the middle of the track, human response time between brain and muscles isn't fast enough to do it. Anakin can, because he sees whats going to happen ahead of time, so he can react before humanly possible...that's the only way he can do it.

Chewie would make a horrible pod racer. If you notice, every one of the racers were relatively small in comparison to a Wookie. Why? Perhaps weight. Even if it only changes the power by a fraction, a creature weighing 100lbs is going to require less power to move than one weighing 300lbs. They also mostly fit inside the pod, while Chewie's height would force him to stick out. He would create a lot of wind drag, and simply wouldn't have been very aerodynamic. Put Chewie in a pod, you guarantee you have a slow racer.

8. BigBoy29

BigBoy29 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 3, 2004
    Pod racing is tougher than it looks. Chewbacca has the reflexes of .... a wookie. He would get dusted.

Perhaps you missed the speed involved in the Boonta Eve Classic ...

one either needs super-fast reflexes to negotiate that insane course, or the ability to draw on the Force to predict the treacherous twists and turns.

Most individuals have neither of the two pre-requisites.

9. starwarsagent

Jul 4, 2004
    I suppose you are all right. I did notice that sebulba was pretty fast with his hands and feet. I guess you could say he has four arms and that could help him in a sticky situation..also he is like a spider, and probably doesn't weight too much, makes him a perfect candidate..I suppose it's like horse races, where the jockey's have to be small in size.

still, humans can race pods..but maybe not that fast.

10. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Except Lucas FAILED to properly illustrate said connection to the Force. The boy looked slow to me, I never once got the impression that the Force was Anakin's ally during the Boonta Eve Race. In fact, there wasn't anything that Anakin did that made him appear like he was the only human who could pilot a Pod. Podracing-Anakin looked about as skillful as a blind-man trying to solve a Rubik's Cube.

11. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Except for the fact that Anakin's the only human there and as Anakin said, he's the only human who can do it.

12. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Yeah, and that was coming from a nine-year-old boy.
    Like I stated previously:
    What I saw onscreen, did little to back up what Little-Skywalker said about humans and podracing.

13. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Humans are not made to podrace, they don't have quick enough reflexes. Remember that this is one of the reasons Qui Gon is so intrigued with Anakin. He claims that he must have Jedi reflex.

Plus, podracing takes place mainly on Tatooine. Most of the humans there are either smugglers, convicts or slaves. They aren't all running to risk their lives in the most dangerous and fast race.

14. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    I could care less about any of that dialogue. What happened onfilm did nothing to convince me that Anakin was special inside that pod. In fact, after watching TPM I am now convinced that a kid with Autism could have done just the same. Quite simply, Anakin looked SLOW to me. I didn't see any SUPERFAST reflexes. The dialogue doesn't match the action, IMO.

15. ACE_Albert

ACE_Albert Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 3, 2007
    'Normal' humans don't podrace because they don't have fast-enough reflexes; however, Force-sensitive humans, like Anakin, can podrace. So theoretically any Human Jedi could podrace; it's just that they don't, being Jedi and all.

16. jediking12

jediking12 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 16, 2007
    Yeah most Podracers are Aliens and Anakin is right about he's the only Human

Heres a list of Planets Podracing happens on:
    Mon Gazza
    Baroonda
    Ord Ibanna
    Aqualris
    Tatooine
    Taris
    Garmor
    Sullust
    Mon Calamari

Also Play both Podracer games and there are no Human Podracers except Anakin

17. Shiro-Oni

Shiro-Oni Jedi Youngling star 2

May 3, 2005
    And :

Malastare, birthplace of Podracing and the only other place we've heard of it happening (from the movies, obviously).

18. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Anakin pod-racing

19. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    EXACTLY, HALIBUT!!!

That guy took forever to solve the cube!
    And he memorized all the moves even!!

PS. That dude was FAR from being a blind-man.;)

20. BigBoy29

Dec 3, 2004
    From what I saw .... it would take a miracle for anyone to negotiate the Boonta Eve Classic at a fast rate of speed.

Or it would take the Force.

Or it would take a shamrock/horseshoe stuck up their ass. [face_good_luck]

21. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    Personally I like the idea that humans aren't the be-all and end-all in the Star Wars galaxy.

22. BigBoy29

Dec 3, 2004
    For those who think along those lines (me included), Return of the Jedi is usually thought of as our favorite movie of the Saga. It was the first to really show non-humans in key, pivotal roles.

Ackbar in charge of Rebel Naval Fleet ... Ewoks saving the day ... etc.

EDIT: Italicize usually. And Yoda's ESB appearance/role was groundbreaking - but he only dealt with Luke.
    Apoligies for derailing this fine thread.

23. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    Yep, that's a part of why Jedi is my favorite and why my favorite parts of ESB are Yoda teaching Luke.

24. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Well, in the video game it takes practice, practice, practice. One moment of hesitation and Sebulba goes right through you.

25. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    One moment of hesitation and Sebulba goes right through you.

Would Sebulba be the shamrock or the horseshoe?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.