main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are ILM still the Ultimate SFX team?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by High_and_Dry, Aug 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yodaschum

yodaschum Jedi Padawan star 4

May 9, 2002
    I don't , but what we have to remember is that ILM have had to devote the past 6 years to Star wars prequels.

2. smauldookie

smauldookie Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2002
    between ROTJ and TPM ILM did great work and survived.

we don't need to worry how ilm will do once the PT'S are done.

3. DarthScully

DarthScully Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2001
    good grief, how could i have missed such a great thread? :)

many others have echoed my thoughts. a lot of FOTR's effects were very good, subtle and spectacular all at the same time. however, there are some glaring mistakes. the Cave Troll and Legolas's leap off it was one, parts of the Last Alliance battle was another (its obvious that there are some fuzzy spots in the CG), which, if it were given to ILM, would probably have done a better job/perfected the scene. also since the question was "best SFX company" you've also got to take into account the overall FX done for the film, and there are many errors left in FOTR by WETA (forgetting to rotoscope one side of the tree when the Nazgul showed up, the Balrog's whip should've been still on Gandalf's ankle before he fell, etc). i'm not saying that ILM never makes mistakes, of course they do, they have more than their share of shabby FX work, its just that as someone as mentioned, they have more experience than WETA and cleans up after themselves better/ has more eye for details.

ILM is still the best FX company, but WETA has joined the list of FX houses that are close to beating ILM.

btw, to the one who compared ILM to Disney-- LOL! touche dude :D, you're right, ILM's effects sometimes borders on the animated variety.

4. Imperial_Guard

Imperial_Guard Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    Just to throw in my .02 cents.

It's important to remember that at one time, ILM was about the ONLY SFX team.

Now everybody and their uncle are getting into the FX business and are competing for contracts.

I think that ILM is still the best FX house around but there are a lot of up and comers with loads of talent to look out for that will keep them on their toes and ultimately, the moviegoer wins in the end by getting a better finished product on the screen. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.