main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are inter-species relationships common?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Kish, Jul 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kish

Kish Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 12, 2004
    And how would they work? My friend told me in the Rogue Squadron comics, one of the human pilots dated a Bothan and got a little... roughed up during their time together.

Is it taboo to date between species? And what characters have done it so far?

Also, I assume that it isn't possible to make a "half" child. Like, Half-twilek. Like we would see in normal fantasy. If two different species hooked up is it possible for them to produce offspring?

2. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Xenosexuality which is different than bestiality(sex with a beast, a lower animal, i.e. non/limited-sentient lifeform), is frowned upon by some people. For others its no problem at all.

The only time half-children occur is if the species genetics are close to human genetics enough for offspring to occur. Usually the aliens have to be near-human for a offspring to occur, and the offspring would most likely be sterile, though its not always the case.

3. alpha_red

alpha_red Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 24, 2003
    I hope so. That's pretty hot...in some cases, anyway.

*drools over Twi'leks*

4. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    Since Twi'lek brains are quite different from human ones, I'd say human/Twilek hybrids are an impossibility.

5. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    It doesn't mean a human and a Twi'lek can't have a relationship. Twi'lek's are known for their...skills... :p

6. Darth_howabout

Darth_howabout Jedi Youngling

Jul 15, 2004
    Wedge seemed to like Qui Xux in the JAT. Although, i think this goes back to a question in the movie "Pest" with John Leguizamo. This one guy kept on asking "An alien comes down, shes atomically correct, would you or would you not have sex with her"
    or something to that effect. But anyway. The one wedge was after seemed pretty close to human but really smart. And Boba Fett in Rotj seemed to like a red spotted one. So I guess its kinda like interracial dating here. Go for it

7. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    I don't know about there being a human-Bothan relationship in the Rogue Squadron comics, but there certainly is one in the X-wing series of novels. I do know in the Rogue Squadron comics there is a bit of a Mon Cal-Quarren relationship, if only for the course of the last arc in the series.

8. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    So I guess its kinda like interracial dating here. Go for it

Errr....no. A red twi'lek dating a blue twi'lek would be like interracial dating.

A human dating a Twi'lek would be akin to you having a loving, consensual relationship with a highly intelligent dolphin.

9. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Except that they don't know for sure if Dolphins are at the same level as Humans exactly, or simply at the a level just below humans, around chimpanzees give or take...

Dolphins aren't generally classified as fully sentient. Its really only a few scifi writers that either try to make them equal to humans, or smarter than humans...

10. QuentinGeorge

Dec 12, 2003
    That's why I specified "highly intelligent."

Ok then, imagine a talking dolphin. Would you sleep with it? Or think anyone that did was particularly normal?

;)

Inter-species relationship is one thing that has always irked me about sci-fi. Why must alien women be attractive to human males?

Star Trek is particuarly rife with this...

11. GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE

GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE Jedi Knight star 7

May 8, 2002
    Its only breifly been covered in galaxy so there really isn't away to say how common it is.

12. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Well I think it makes more sense for humanoids to date other humanoids, where the parts can match up to so to speak...

Twilek's are more or less human-like, and share the same physical form and dimensions as humans, the only difference they have over humans is mainly their Lekku.

A dolphin, and a human wouldn't quite be able to match up, the physical dimensions are quite different, plus there is that matter of one being water dweller, and the other a land dweller that would make any relationships quite difficult. But if they can bond on the same emotional, communication and mental level, who am I to judge?

Trying to compare a Dolphin with a Humanoid is not a very good analogy, btw.

13. QuentinGeorge

Dec 12, 2003
    All right, imagine a talking Orangutan...

Sexy!

14. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Hey if they can bond on the same emotional, communication and mental level, who am I to judge?

But that's not a good analogy either, as an orangatang is probably one of the weirdest looking humanoids on earth... Wherea as a Twilek female is based around basically the most beautiful women, with human like faces (mostly a factor having to do with the fact that it is a beautiful women in a costume).

If twileks looked like orangatang's then your analogy probably would have been similar...

But closest thing to Xenosexuality on earth?

Many anthrolopogists believe inter-species relationships went on between Homo Sapiens, and Neanderthals, perhaps creating viable offspring whose genes may exist today, or just sterile offspring that died off.

But if early humans and neanderthals could find a meaningful relationship who am I to judge?

15. QuentinGeorge

Dec 12, 2003
    You see, this is the problem. Homo sapiens sapiens and homo sapiens neanderthalis are incredibly closely related.

It is analogous to a horse and a donkey reproducing, which does happen.

Humans and Twi'leks are from totally different planets.

Why the hell do they find each other attractive?

Ah well, just venting. It does show that Star Wars is more in the fantasy genre than Science Fiction.

16. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    "Homo sapiens sapiens and homo sapiens neanderthalis are incredibly closely related."

Actually depends on the anthropologists, some don't think of them as both being under "homo sapiens".

But rather one is "Homo Sapiens Sapiens, and the other only "Homo Neanderthalis" not evolved through the Sapiens lineage...

However that's the thing about Anthropology there isn't enough evidence, so hypothesis get made by several factions, and there isn't any one "definitive" version.

"Humans and Twi'leks are from totally different planets.

Why the hell do they find each other attractive?"

Because they share the same facial construction. They have "human" noses, they have "human" eyes. They have "human" cheeks. They have "human" lips. They have everything that humans find attracive in "human" female faces. Hell, they even have the same "human" hips, and "human" breast configuration.

Why do you think earth Humans (I.E. many star wars fans) find twilek's(...and the actresses that play them) sexy? Because they have everything that earth Human men find Beautiful in feminine "human" facial features.

Oh, btw, xenosexuality has nothing to do with being fantasy only, its in Hard Scifi as well. Infact many Hard Scifi go into the technical aspects of how xenosex would would take place in graphic details... There are entire "hard scifi" stories devoted to the topic...

However, scifi is always generally considered a sub category of over arching branch of "fantasy".

17. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Horn's anecdote to Darklilighter about his Cheryl required an antidote. Human connection with a furry alien = revulsion.

:p

That was best icon I could find with a tongue sticking out!

18. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    Val all that is very interesting, all I know is that "I'm actually a male of my species" isn't said often enough.

19. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    No, actually according to the Unofficial Encyclopedia, Twi'leks are very different from humans.

Twi'lek
    an alien race characterized by their smooth, pointed head and twin lobes protruding from their heads. Often called head tails, the lekku contain additional sensory nerves and are very sensitive, and are thought to be errogenous zones. Most Twi'leks have two lekku, known as tchin and tchun, or tchun-tchin when spoken of as a pair. Rare variants have a single lekku or up to four. Each lekku is filled with muscles, and stored in the cells of the lekku were the Twi'lek's deepest memories. Twi'leks often use subtle twitches and flexings of their lekku as a form of communication. They have rows of pointed teeth, and close-set, pig-like eyes. They are native to the planet Ryloth. They also have multiple stomachs, and will feed on almost anything, from the fungi that grow on Ryloth to the cowlike rycrits. The skin coloration of a Twi'lek varies, with all shades of the rainbow represented, as well as white and black.

Humans only have one stomach.

20. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Actually the point was that externally they look mostly like a human. But that's due to them being played by humans of course, and Lucas not giving them masks or anything.

21. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    Oh, well I thought you meant they could procreate with each other. I highly doubt it.

22. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    I never said they could procreate. Just that they look human enough that most humans find them sexy.

23. Kish

Kish Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 12, 2004
    Well, this girl from the RotJ SE seems to be a "half" human/alien. But this is the only example i've seen of it in Star Wars.

http://starwars.com/databank/character/rystall/?id=eu

Although, i'd hate to think what kind of alien her human father mated with to produce her...

Also, in the NJO I rememeber Gavin Darklighter talking about his ex who was a Bothan. Something happened, I guess she died? Is this covered in any EU material?

24. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    "Although, i'd hate to think what kind of alien her human father mated with to produce her..."

Oddly other sourcebooks with extended information have the father as an alien, and the mother human...

25. SlackJawedJedi

SlackJawedJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2004
    Well, as far as the galaxy is concerned, Gavin's ex-lover Asyr Sei'lar is dead...

But she actually pulled a fast one to get out from under Borsk's thumb. (Well, she was actually presumed dead, and never bothered to correct that...)
    Last we saw of her, she was off to try and change how Bothan society worked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.