main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are Jacen and Jaina still currentley Padawans???

Discussion in 'Literature' started by magneto, Jun 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. magneto

magneto Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 1, 2001
    I was just wondering if Jacen and Jaina have obtained the rank of Jedi KNight currently or is he still a padawan??

2. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Jacen and Jaina have both attained the rank of Knight. :)

3. magneto

Feb 1, 2001
    How could jaina obtain it? she never trains at all!
    all she ever does is fly

4. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    She used to be Mara Jade's apprentice. I figure that Mara trained her. :)

Their ranks are stated in the dramatis personae in each NJO novel. :)

Personally, I don't think Jaina should even be a Jedi in general, let alone a Knight. [face_plain]

5. Fire_Light

Fire_Light Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2002
    I don't think Luke's New Jedi Order uses the term Padawan anyway.

6. Nichos_Marr

Nichos_Marr Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2001
    I think they use Jedi Student for those who are below the rank of Knight.

7. JaZzYjaZZ

JaZzYjaZZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Well considering it's NJO, and padawans don't need to go through any trial, it seems that they just become Jedi Knights when their masters or Luke feel they have reached that level

:)

8. jaya02

jaya02 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 12, 2002
    well, how do we know that Mara and Luke have stopped training Jacen and Jaina. it doesnt' say so in the books. maybe we're supposed to assume that it takes place beyond the books.

but, at teh end of the YJK series, Jacen, Jaina, Lowie, Zekk, Tenel Ka, and Raynar had all graduated from the Academy. that meant the ywere supposed to be Jedi Knights then. but i guess Jacen and Jaina, even after graduating from the Academy, still had stuff to learn, and were Jedi Knight Apprentices. that's the only thing that makes sense.

Valyn: spare us you comments concerning Jaina. we already know how you feel about her.

9. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Jaina sucks. :D

10. First_Evil

First_Evil Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2002
    Ranking in the Luke's Jedi Order seems rather amorphous.

"Student" is when you're learning to use the Force.

"Apprentice" is a voluntary condition where a Jedi has an exclusive teacher.

"Knight" means you can be trusted to go on missions. Weren't Jaina's and Jacen's kid adventures more circumstance than intentional? I only read a couple books.

"Master" is a double meaning. The first is just being mentor to an apprentice. The second, what Luke is, is more nebulous. Sort of a combo of having been to the Dark Side and back, experience, and respect from peers.

"Padawan", so far as I can tell, is not used by the NJO. Although there's mention of moving back to the exclusive master/student style teaching. And it's far too late to start using it as it would only cause confusion. "Padawan? What's a padawan? I thought he was my student."

11. Lianna

Lianna Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    I believe that they are Knights now. Maybe not officially but recent events have made them such. In RS, it says that about Tahiri so I can only assume that the same it true for Jaina and Jacen.

12. JediJSolo

JediJSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    I think First_Evil is correct about most of his classifications. However, I don?t think that going to the Dark Side has anything to do with a Jedi becoming a Master.

Whether a Jedi is an apprentice is not a good judge for whether that Jedi is a Knight. A Jedi can be a Knight and an apprentice at the same time. When Jacen, Jaina, and Anakin graduated form the academy, they were Jedi Knights. They decided to become apprentices; it was not a requirement of their training.

13. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Jedi_Jaina_Durron Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2001
    Valyn: I don't hate her the way you do, but I'm inclined to agree with you. For a while there with Kyp, I thought she was actually going to do some training and actually be a Jedi. But that's come to nothing, and she doesn't really act like a Jedi.

14. JediJSolo

JediJSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    How exactly is Jaina not a Jedi?

15. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Dec 1, 2001
    She is. She doesn't act like one. Even when she went dark. I found it funny.

The only thing she's used the force to do beside fly is force lightening. Seriously. Think about it. She doesn't act like a Jedi.

16. Runaway_Shadow

Runaway_Shadow Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2002
    I think there's a lot we don't know about Jaina. There's a time gap between the novels. We don't know her, or her siblings like we know Luke or Leia, or Han for that matter

Nevertheless, I like Jaina, but she can be a bit irritating at moments

17. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Dec 1, 2001
    I don't hate her, but I'm really beginning to get hacked at her. She's getting extremely stuck-up and she thinks she's got two guys. I'm sorry, but to me she comes across as arrogant. And not cocky, like Han or Kyp. I like cocky. But I hate arrogant. Why I hate Corran.

18. Lianna

Lianna Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    Perhaps with the coming books Jaina's character will change as she is written by different people.

19. flying_fishi

flying_fishi Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 26, 2002
    I'm beginning to start disliking Jaina. She's just not interesting anymore!

20. Doogie76

Doogie76 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 5, 2001
    I have my own ideas on this concept of Padawan/Knight principle in times of war...I think that it is less difficult to obtain the rank of knight, during times of war or crisis. Obi-Wan Kenobi would have of had to go through "the trials" to make Knight, but was given his rank when faced with the sith crisis (Darth Maul). I think it is the same thing for Jacen, Jaina, Anakin, and others.

Times of crisis bring out the best and worst in people. Whether it is in real life or Star Wars...Look at the American Civil War, more people obtained the rank of General than ever before. In fact it got so that they had to have rankings for generals (1-star, 5-star, etc...). There should be like the same thing for knights and Masters. The level of knight does come through with a sacrifice as well, sometimes the two combine to acheieve knight. These are my thoughts on this process

21. Twin_Suns_7

Twin_Suns_7 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 26, 2002
    whatever you say about what Jaina is doing now, she was trained as a jedi and is a jedi. i think corran says something about this in the DT duology, it doesn't change who she is if she becomes a fighter pilot, she's just a fighter-pilot-jedi. jacen/anakin are the more proper, classic jedi, but who cares about that.

PS, i really like jaina, i have yet to find some actual reason that she could be considered arrogant.

22. Rusty0918

Rusty0918 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 12, 2002
    I've never seen the term Padawan in ANY of the sequel EU's.

23. magneto

Feb 1, 2001
    Jaina stopped training for like 2 years and maybe she did do a little practising she is no way near jacens level of abilities.

24. Cosmin-Coral

Cosmin-Coral Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 10, 2001
    I think the reason we don't see the term Padawan used is bcos we were only introduced to it 3 years ago, and it would look funny if Luke suddenly 'found' the old term and started using it.
    'Apprentice' works just as well, and serves to show the difference between the old Jedi order and the new.

25. Runaway_Shadow

Runaway_Shadow Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2002
    Jaina stopped treaining for two years???
    *puts on a thinking face*

When did that happen? Can't seem to recall in what novel that was mentioned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.