main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Are Jedi allowed to have sex?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by StartCenterEnd, Oct 14, 2017.

1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Except the point wasn't about having sex, but about being able to love people. That's why the line is that Jedi are taught to love unconditionally, which is also known as compassion.

Not really. Not everyone who has one night stands say, "This is a one night stand" or a "booty call". Most people say, "I'll call you" and never call or text back.

That's if the Jedi chooses to be selfish to that degree. Most of the time, the Jedi aren't seeking to start families. If they choose to not take precautions, then they need to deal with the consequences of those actions. I think the implication in TPM was that Qui-gon suspected that a Jedi might have bedded Shmi and thus fathered Anakin, but when she told him that wasn't the case, he realized that something else was going on. If a Jedi is truly detached to a person in that regard, then accidental pregnancies can happen in that event.

That's not likely. If a Jedi finds out that he's fathered a child, he'd tell the Council and then they'd deal with him. As to the child, a separate Jedi would be sent to see about recruitment and if given consent, that child would then be trained by Yoda and then eventually paired off with a Jedi other than his father. Also, I'd wager that the child wouldn't be told that said Jedi was their father. Jedi siblings were rare within the Jedi Order, but as far as we know from current canon, there weren't families in situations like that.

2. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    So it's ok for a Jedi to lie by omission about their non-commitment if they feel the need to have sex with someone only once?

The need to have quick temporary pleasures is selfish. This is why you are supposed to be selfless and disciplined not to have them.

3. StartCenterEnd

StartCenterEnd Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 2, 2006
    Aayla Secura's Jedi outfit is one of the things that prompted this question from me.

[​IMG]

Even Ahsoka's outfit isn't so conservative. They look so sex positive it makes me think Jedi are fine with sexual expression and casual sex but I could be wrong.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  4. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Lucas just has a blue body paint fetish. If he's not painting hot girls in it he's painting himself blue.
    I think he would've guessed that a Force sensitive person of some kind fathered him, not necessarily a Jedi. All this talk of Force hereditary still makes me question this whole policy of the Jedi. Preventing Jedi from having offspring is the surest way of reducing the no of Force sensitive people. Particularity those with the most potential, ie the truly special & talented ones. Think of the evil regimes throughout history who wanted to sterilise certain social or racial groups to try to cause their extinction. The Jedi seem keen on doing this to themselves.

5. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    It has been darkly hinted at it the novel Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter.

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

Sure, but that's Legends (there's a few other examples). The closest thing to hinting at it in the newcanon, though, is in TCW - the attitude of the Bardottans to the Jedi in Season 6.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I think the book The Jedi Path portrays the Jedi as baby-snatchers too. I’ve always gone by the only canon materials we have, TPM and TCW, which indicate that the parents have a choice.

As far as Qui-Gon, when I first saw TPM, I thought he himself had had a one-night stand with Shmi and was trying to figure out the timing. [face_devil]

8. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    TPM might have been a reliable example of the way that younglings were harvested.

But Tatooine is not in the Republic and the Jedi aren't even supposed to be there or to interfere. It just so happens that the Jedi gambled and cheated so that he could afford to buy Anakin for the purpose of training him. The mother chose not keep her son at her side, the emancipated child to a piece of property. It doesn't matter that Anakin could have, possibly, kept winning pod races until he could buy and sell Watto outright, not just his own mother.

As willing as Shmi and Anakin seemingly are, I sincerely hope Anakin's wasn't a typical scenario on actual Republic worlds. (Lucas has stated that in the Republic, potential Jedi were tained "from birth", so who can say. [face_dunno])

Darth Downunder likes this.
  9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It drops a hint that Republic law allows them to babysnatch if they want to, at least. Making the Republic seem kinda dystopian, with Force-Sensitives being almost like 40K psykers, or various fictional mutants, in the way the Republic treats them.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MutantDraftBoard

10. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

Shmi gave up her son because she was thinking of him, not herself. She asked Qui-gon if he could help him and he said that if he had been found in the Republic, he would have been found and trained. And so when Anakin is freed, the idea of working to free her beyond what Qui-gon tried, was not important to her. What was important to her was that Anakin leave Tatooine and train to be a Jedi. She has accepted her place is on Tatooine and his destiny lies along a different path from her's. She even reminds him of his earlier vision of the future, where he came back to Tatooine as a Jedi Knight, when she asks him what his heart tells him about seeing each other again.

As to the Jedi as a whole, no, they didn't steal children. As depicted in many old EU stories, the Jedi were often invited to worlds to test and recruit potential new Jedi. In fact, it had been the subject of the "Jedi Apprentice" series which depicted such a scenario with Qui-gon and Obi-wan accompanying two other Jedi in visiting a family that was willing to offer up their child. Likewise, "Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter" revealed that people who were capable of going to Coruscant, did so on a pilgrimage to have their child tested. They came of their own free will.

In TCW, the Jedi did have a database of potential Force users who could be trained and was kept in a Holocron. But none of these children were abducted and were still with their families. Though Palpatine himself wanted this database and Dooku had hired Cad Bane to steal it, so that these children could either be killed or turned into useful tools.

There are so many people who have the ability to use the Force in the galaxy, that the Jedi Order is not dependent on needing dynasties. This is why after the Jedi Purge was finished, Palpatine told Vader to send out the Inquisitors to eliminate or convert Force sensitive children, so that they wouldn't be a threat to him. And also why during the war, the Dagoyan and the Nightsisters and Nightbrothers were eliminated, to keep them from being a threat as well.

11. theraphos

theraphos Jedi Knight star 2

May 20, 2016
    This is why the "haha Jedi are making Force-sensitives extinct haha gotcha, your move Jedi" argument always seems absurd to me. This is not the X-gene. The Force is already in all living things and the almighty supernatural Force can make anyone Force-sensitive it wants. Having Force-sensitive heritage is not remotely mandatory or even necessary for more Force-sensitives to exist.

The vast majority of Jedi probably have zero Force-sensitive relatives, and yet, they were still born.

12. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    First, we don't now what the Force can do or cannot do, with regards to Midichlorians since we don't know for certain if the Sith had a hand in creating Anakin or not. Midichlorian counts are just based on random genetics, much like the Mutant and Metahuman genes. Second, when it comes to family lines, it might be at one time the Jedi Order was made up of family dynasties and random recruits. But attachment issues resulted in the dynasties ending. And third, there are others outside of the Jedi Order who use the Force and don't have issues with family dynasties. The Dagoyan Masters of Bardotta have offspring, as did the Nightsisters and Nightbrothers of Dathomir. The Jedi just forbade attachments and the Sith would rather steal a child, or convert a Jedi, than starting a family.

13. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    To an organisation that she can have zero first hand knowledge of, not being in the republic, and who operate to bring justice and peace everywhere Tatooine .

You're right that it's on Shmi that displays selflessness. Anakin invites the outlanders, one of whom has a laser sword that intrigues him, into his mother's house to eat her food. The kind of thing a precocious kid does because they don't actually have property of their own to give.

Anakin races pods anyway. It's a pleasurable experience that he likes to enjoy. That's not being selfless. Giving up pod racing for someone else is selfless.

The only selfless thing that Anakin comes close to doing is letting go of his mother, which he doesn't. The movie goes out of its way to rather clumsily make that point.

Anakin didn't choke Padme out of selfishness. He choked her out of anger because he thought she'd betrayed him to Obi Wan. He immediately tells Obi Wan that he won't take her from him. This is after his mind has cracked completely, so attributing selfishness to it is just

14. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    She's well aware of the Jedi and their general reputation. Something she's fine with.

Saying, "You won't take her from me" is selfish. She's a possession to him. Not a person. He's still in his right mind. Anakin doesn't become insane when he turns evil, just as Dooku is still sane. Same with Ben.