main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are Jedi becoming too much like X-Men?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by jedi979, Sep 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Invid_Clone

Invid_Clone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 14, 2002
    He'd empathise with the ol' canucklehead like he did with most animals (YJK-era), and then get the Wolvster to stop fighting full-stop lol!

No, Wolverine may have an animalistic side to him, but he furiously claims he's a man, not an animal (read the WOLVERINE Trade Paperback -- 1984 miniseries, he tackles the ninja clan Hand and kills his then-to-be father in law). Also, Professor Xavier has trained his X-Men in techniques to resist mind control. So if Jacen or some stupid punk Jedi tries to do a Jedi mind trick on Wolverine to pull him out of a berzerker rage, he may find himself staring at his entrails on the floor (and perhaps even his oozing, severed neck). :p

*feels all visceral, for some reason, after watching last night's ER*

2. Invid_Clone

Invid_Clone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 14, 2002
    Double post :p

Ack! my icon! They stole it! :(

3. MaulsSabersGodfather

MaulsSabersGodfather Jedi Youngling

Dec 26, 1999
    "Lucas himself made Force-sensitivity more like X-Men by making it an incidence of birth. Personally I wish he'd left it as a mystic force..."

It was always, and still is, both. It is a mystic force, but it has always been an incidence of birth. Want proof? Here you go:

"The Force runs strong in your family."
    "I have it, my father had it, and... my sister has it."
    "I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi like my father."
    "I am a Jedi, like my father before me."

4. mrslush50

mrslush50 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 22, 2003
    Invid_clone writes:

"I'm betting that a lightsaber can't cut through Adamantium, the strongest substance in the Marvel Universe. If I remember correctly, a nuclear explosion can melt adamantium slightly. Another way to undo the super-dense metal is through molecular distabilization...a little trick Magneto learned awhile ago and of which Wolverine was the unfortunate recipient when he severely pissed off the Master of Magnetism.

That said, and if you get Wolverine riled up into one of his trademark "berzerker rages", he can be pretty much unstoppable in a meleé, lightsabers and Force powers notwithstanding. Jedi or Sith, with their longer and decidedly deadly lightsabers, would not risk wounding their comrades to get to the little runt, who can use his size, speed, orneryness to get into a group of combatants and hack and slash to his leisure with them wonderful claws. "

"Jedi vs. X-Men"

sounds like a pretty cool video game to me.

5. _Xanatos_

_Xanatos_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 18, 2003
    Qui-Gon talked to draigons with the force in JA#1 so I don't think Jacen has a "special talent" for talking to animals. I think if they start teleporting and gaining super human strength they'll be like X-Men. Oh yeah 806 days till SW Episode 3!

6. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    why couldn't cyclopse stay dead?!?!?! he annoys me almost as much as kyp durron does

Proof you really do have no taste ;)

And WOlverine would beat a Jedi. But not a normal guy. As anyone who read Ultimate War knows, all you know is a shield, a machine gun and knowledge of WOlverines real name :)

7. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    Are the Marvel novels(Like X-Men: Smoke and mirrors or Spider-Man: Secret of the Sinister Six) part of the continuty?Are they Marvel canon?

8. Isbeth

Isbeth Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    I didn't read all of this thread, but did you know that the X-Men book Smoke and Mirrors has at least 3 Star Wars references in it?

One: Tim and Greg Hilderbrandt did the cover and we all know they did the original SW poster, you know the one where Leia is busty and shows leg and Luke looks like a he-man. :)

Two: As "The Ohio Mutant Conspiracy" is trying to escape from bad guys in a rental car they go throught the typical car chase and one asks the driver, "Where did you learn to drive?" The answer given is "The Han Solo School of Driver's Ed".

Three: One of "The Ohio Mutant Conspiracy" does a very cool move and exclaims, "It worked!" "Yeah, well, don't get cocky, kid." Wolverene snaps back. [face_laugh]

BTW in the back of Codename: Wolverene (An excellent book, too.) there is a continuity and canon list. In X-Men: Legends there is a page in the back that tells where the stories fit into the X-Men continunity. Maybe that is why I like X-Men novels so. :) And I also love Stackpole, he's one of my favorite SW authors and I love Corren. I kinda like Mara too, although I am not fond of Zahn and his books. [face_plain]

9. JediFreac

JediFreac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    well, brain cells cannot regenerate, so just force grip his brain.

10. WraithLead

WraithLead Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2001
    Wolverine's brain can regenerate.

11. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    So the novels are canon. Thats great

12. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    Arms cant regenerate, that didnt stop Wade Wilson! :D

To be honest, I wish the NJO was MORE like the X-Men. In the three XM comics, sure you have Wolverine over exposed, but all the characters get a turn, a chance in the limelight. Take Siryn. One of my favourite characters, often unused. But in the last year she lead a team including Madrox (Multiple man) and got involved with Weapon XII (Wolverine being Weapon X is a numeral). Why? Because she is one of the X-Men! Sure, she needed to be helped by Xavier, Jean and Fantomex. But the point was, that rather than bringing in the normal characters, they let someone else do it. Compare that to the NJO. Jedi Eclipse aside, every single team or mission has involved the same family. And they then go and hog all the POVs on their side, except for maybe one or two characters the author likes. I often say X-Men shouldnt become X-Men: Wolverine (Besides, this already exists ;) ). But the NJO IS the Luke/Mara/Jaina/Jacen (Tahiri soon too) show. If X-Men started to only use 5 members cosntantly, and only occasionally showed another, they'd have people leaving the series, sick of not seeing their favourite characters.

Now, to examplify my point, here is an X-Men team made up mainly of members of the team in XM (Volume 2) 1-7 with a few extra faces, and then a vaguely equivellent NJO team. Jedi only, as both sides have non-specials and enemies in their stories:

Cyclops..........Luke (Leader of the team)
    Marvel Girl......Mara (Red headed wife of leader ;) )
    Wolverine........Jacen (Great fighter)
    Beast............Dani (Scientist)
    Gambit...........Kyp (Good fighter, inventive tactics)
    Rogue............Kirana Ti (No reason at all, I just couldnt think of a similar character :) )
    Psylocke.........Jaina (Good fighter)
    Shadowcat........Tahiri (Youngster of the team)
    Storm............Streen (For obvious reasons)

Now, in a sole TPB of this style, the X-Men team would all have a little role. Cyclops and Jean would have a moment together. Wolverine would no doubt whup lots of normal guys, before some major bad guy stops him. Then, say, Psylocke would help him out, before the rest of the X-team comes in to finish the job. No one or two characters dominate the book. Everyone would have a good scene, or a fight, or similar.

Now let us compare it to the NJO way. Luke would "lead", and he would have a couple of scenes, probably with Mara. Jacen and Jaina, maybe Tahiri too, would take 80% of the POVs. Dani, Kyp, Kirana and Streen would be lucky to get more than following parts.

And think this wouldnt happen? Star by Star, the strike team was almost all through 3 POVs.

13. JADES_FIRE

JADES_FIRE Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    It's lucky that I like X-Men. :D

Gambit da man! :cool: "The name is Gambit, remember it!" :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.