main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are Jedi forbidden to have sex?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by DarthSeether, Sep 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. foucault

foucault Jedi Youngling

Aug 21, 2006
    I think I understand the issue of attachment but what the Jedi did was take it literally rather than spiritually.

It seems that they were completely oblivious towards the very attachment they created to the order.

2. Commander_Kayman

Commander_Kayman Jedi Youngling star 2

May 2, 2006
    I guess the jedi order makes an anual trip to the coruscant hooker district. No attachment, it's perfect.

3. StarWarsIsUs

StarWarsIsUs Jedi Youngling

Nov 16, 2006
    Yeah. Same here.

- - - - - - - - - -

On the comment by George Lucas:

One reason monks in the Eastern countries are usually celibate is because there is a belief that expelling semen takes away some of the energy stored up inside, that could otherwise be used for focusing on meditation/physical exercises.

I think the Jedi might have a similar belief: sex (if a Jedi chooses,) is probably without ejaculation. The sperm's energy could be used to better focus on the Force.

4. DeadDooku

DeadDooku Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 7, 2005
    i wonder if the Jedi use the force to stimulate there partner in anyway or would that be forbidden? I am sure the Sith don't care

5. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    In the Visual Dictionaru to Revenge of the Sith it states on page 12 " Obi Wan is not without his secrets, including a relationship with Jedi Siri Tachi, who died saving Padme."

6. NY_Jedi21

NY_Jedi21 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 25, 2006
    I think Jedi do have sex but I think the real question is, do male and female Jedi get together or do they go for non Jedi personnel?

7. aPPmaSTer

aPPmaSTer Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2004
    I'm guessing they go with non-Jedi to avoid any attachments.

But then again, in ROTS, Yoda dropped to the floor when he felt Aayla Secura's death...;)

8. MissIzzy

MissIzzy Jedi Youngling

Jun 29, 2006
    I don't know. That sounds like just crude matter to me. Of course, one must assume Jedi are considerate enough of their partners to use some sort of birth control, albeit maybe a form slightly more reliable than that.
    I've suspected actually that Jedi are more likely to have sex with a civilian if the civilian is the one who wants it, for whatever reason, so long as the civilian understands that the Jedi can't stay.

9. Dark_Disciple

Dark_Disciple Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2005
    I don't see why the Jedi can't use the Force to prevent themselves ejaculating. If practitioners of Tantric Sex can do it, I don't see why male Jedi cannot.

10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Kit and Aayla were an item. Anyway, I think it just depends on who they meet and care for.

11. Obi-2_Kenobi

Obi-2_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 13, 2004
    I remember reading in an EU book about the role playing game that Mace was popular with the ladies(seriously).

12. aPPmaSTer

aPPmaSTer Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2004
    I read another EU book that said that Mace was the exact opposite, and that another female Jedi who was very sexually active often made fun of him for that reason.

Just shows that you can't trust EU.

13. WolverineOfTheORS

WolverineOfTheORS Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 11, 2006
    I don't think they are forbidden to have sex. As long as they don't attach themselves to whoever they're having sex with, then it shouldn't be a problem. Although, ejaculating does produce a lot of emotion, so it could be labelled as "forbidden". :p

14. dizfactor

dizfactor Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 12, 2002
    Speaking of Tantric sex, I think that's pretty much exactly the sort of thing the Jedi could very easily have going on: sex rituals as a form of joint (or group) meditation.

15. Zero7

Zero7 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 18, 2006
    Pehaps this is one thing they didn't teach in the Jedi Academy.

Although...come to think of it.....if Obi-Wan had sex he would probably be a lot cooler and less tense!:oops:

16. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    It depends on if the allgeded "Ladies Man" bit is true. Never saw it in the books I read. Thus leaving the comics.

17. Darth_Tfer

Darth_Tfer Jedi Youngling

Dec 27, 2006
    Posted by Knight-8311:

I think the Jedi would promote masterbation more than sex.

Much like the vast majority of the membership here.

18. Bloofi-wanFootenobi

Bloofi-wanFootenobi Jedi Youngling

Dec 26, 2006
    [face_laugh] =D= :p

For Jedi it would be by choice; for members it would be from lack of options!

19. Ataro_Soresu

Ataro_Soresu Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 17, 2006
    I don't think celibate Jedi makes any sense at all.

For one, it's been shown that Force-potential is hereditary. The best way to make sure you never run out of Force-strong children is to allow your Jedi Knights to mate.

Number 2, overcoming attachments is enough of a challenge. Overcoming our basic need to procreate and keep the species going is something else entirely. Pretty much any healthy species must evolve a strong desire to do so.

Sure, these desires could be overcome, but to what point and purpose? To limit the pool of Force-strong candidates? To put the Order in an even greater danger of extinction? I think the Jedi decided wisely that, as long as sexual reproduction can be kept separate from attachments, it's a healthy and important part of every species' nature.

20. DarthPoppy

DarthPoppy Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    Regarding attachments and the like, as anyone who has ever been in a sexual relationship knows, the act of sex often changes the feelings that people have for each other--relationships that were casual often change after sex, particularly sex on a regular basis; in fact, often times this is where attachments form. So if a Jedi says to a non-Jedi, we can have sex but no attachments, the non-Jedi might agree but change his or her mind after the act (which happens all the time in relationships). So, unless the Jedi are completely selfish, they could not have sex with non-Jedis for fear that the non-Jedis would form attachments, even if they said they were cool with it before hand. Let's face it, alot of us have either been there ourselves or with a partner who changed her (or his) mind after things got sexual. So, if the Jedi are against attachments and against wronging others, they would have to either have sex only amongst themselves or perhaps with prostitutes; otherwise only celebacy makes any sense.

21. ForceJumpAnakin

ForceJumpAnakin Force Ghost star 4

Dec 24, 2006
    I'm glad the movies don't address this issue.

I would think that the jedi are so busy and involved with their jedi lives that sex doesn't even come to mind. I would say yes it is prohibited, because it is for pleasure. And there is also the risk of having a child, no matter what precautions are taken (if the jedi even Dare to mention this last part as a counterpoint, as if to say "why not? there's protection..."). Now about the masterdebation, jedi should have guilt if they even Think about self satisfaction

22. TomPiltoff

TomPiltoff Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 7, 2005
    My ejaculation produces one of two emotions: 'time for nap' or 'go home now'.

23. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    This is all true. But it is also true that people can remain detached after having sex. That they wind up seeing it as random, meaningless sex. Maybe not both sides, but it does happen. And even if one were to engage in intercourse often enough, it doesn't always have to be with the same partner. It doesn't have to be with prostitutes.

24. Jovieve

Jovieve Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    To the original poster:

No, the Jedi aren't forbidden to have sex. GL said so himself.

Probably, the Jedi prefer to have sex with their own, seeing as how being Jedi, they're probably scoped out by people who want to have sex with a Jedi just so they can say they did (like groupies) and that's to be expected and both a danger and an annoyance.

Probably, being in contact with the Force, sex between two Jedi comes with Force fringe benefits, which make it much better than sex with non-Jedi.

They don't form attachments, but can love someone, so birth control would likely be high on their list of things to use lest their hormones take control and give them an attachment that would compromise their life's work as a Jedi.

The Jedi control their emotions and are otherwise very busy, so they probably wouldn't have sex very often, except maybe to let off steam. That's hardly 'meaningless' sex. It's sex for a reason.

25. Pyrogenic

Pyrogenic Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2006
    In response to everyone who takes Lucas' word as evidence...

It does not matter what he says. If we're talking about the films, then we must turn to the films for the answers. Whatever is supported by the films is what is true, and I'd say the films support that the Jedi ARE CELIBATE.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.