main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are Jedi numbers all but decimated---now?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Excellence, Apr 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    It was just a throwaway line I came across in Clone Wars 3: Last Stand on Jabiim TPB. Page 9, Kenobi comments regarding the Jedi that ". . . and there are now only a few thousand of us left."

Out of nine or ten thousand as of AOTC, could there be as little as, say, 3-4000 Jedi remaining? Or has incidental lines like that spawn too much speculation?

Or is this just his "point of view"? :p

2. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    I'll have to look at my copy of the TPB, but if it's a Jedi talking, I'd say they may have a better idea of their numbers than if it's someone else.

3. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
  4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Hmm..."a few thousand" is still somewhat vague...could be 3 thousand, could be 8 thousand.

Compared to the 10 thousand that used to exist around TPM's era, the comparison would still hold.

5. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    It makes one wonder how many Jedi turned and joined Palps.

Mostly like Obi-wan's PoV.

6. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Granted, we all know that Kenobi was historically an incorrigible liar and teetotalling alcoholic, but in this one case I'm more inclined to grant "full faith and credit" to the literal interpretation of his words: that, as of 15 months or thereabouts post-Geonosis, there were only "a few thousand" Jedi Knights/Masters/Padawans left.

Obviously, this may still yet be contradicted in a future story, but it's rather clear that they'd *had* to start whittling down those numbers further fairly soon-ish that far into the timeline, or else we'd face the prospect of seeing seven or eight thousand Jedi still alive when the Empire finally sprouts.

7. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    I found what Excellence was refering to, but there is no left in it. Clone Wars Vol. 3: Last Stand on Jabiim, page nine (counting page 1 as the page where the two Jabiimi are talking about Jedi before the AT-AT arrives), Obi-Wan speaking:

"Anakin, you must remember that there are over a hundred thousand inhabited worlds in the Republic --

-- And there are now only a few thousand of us.

Billions of beings have never seen a Jedi. Millions have never even heard of our Order or of the Force."

Now, my copy may have had a mistake in it's printing causing the word left to be left out when printed. But if it wasn't a mistake, then it seems that Obi-Wan is not saying out of the nine or ten thousand as of AotC that only a few thousand are left. Rather, it seems that he's saying in comparison to the size and population of the Republic we are only a few thousand in size. Even ten thousand could be viewed as a few thousand compared to the millions he tells Anakin about who have never heard of the Force or the Jedi.

8. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    I wonder if that opening scrawl meant Jedi masters? Any official ratios of the Masters to Knights to Padawans?

Perhaps this mass disappearance will have something to with EpIII's plot?

9. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    That's it, Knight. I've already got it in the opening post. Did a quick edit when you asked after it.

Still "only a few thousand left" is ominous, all right. And Jabiim is only 15 months after the war commenced. Barely a year and a quarter.

Wasn't there a source that said a thousand Jedi were lost between TPM and AOTC?

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yup- 10k in TPM, 9K left by AOTC.

11. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    I wonder how 1000 died in an era of relative peace. Perhaps most of them were older masters who passed on?

12. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Think about it. They're ambassadors, police officers, peace oofficers. All extremely dangerous jobs and a Dark Lord of the Sith is arranging for situations that will eliminate them. This in a Republic of trillions. Really it's amazing that the Jedi Order still exists.

13. recurit03

recurit03 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 3, 2003
    That quote leads me to believe that alot of jedi have died since the start of the war.

How many Jedi have we seen die? How many are said to have died by other Jedi?

14. peregrine

peregrine Jedi Master star 4

Nov 18, 2000
    More than 1000 Jedi must have died between TPM and AOTC. They continued training new jedi, you know. Despite this, their numbers neither increased nor remained the same.

When the Clone Wars began, the Jedi were already in the process of being eliminated, their numbers decreasing rapidly...

15. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    It's a more or less constant state of attritional flux -- enough Jedi die to balance out the apprentices getting trained, which is tipped out of level once the Clone Wars erupt.

16. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    Weren't there something like 20k Jedi alone on Ruusan a millenium ago? Their numbers were high then.

17. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    Something along those lines. It was after Ruusan, when the "One Master, One Apprentice" philosophy became enforced, that things started going to hell in a handcart on that front.

Quite likely, one could even extrapolate that it was Torr Snapit's own failure with no fewer than *two* of his apprentices -- at the same time, no less -- falling to the Dark Side on Ruusan that served as the most prominent example which led the council to rethink their approach to this particular training folkway.

18. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    Not to mention most of the order may have been decimated, if there were that many Jedi on Ruusan, who perished in the thoughtbomb.

19. Cypher18

Cypher18 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 1, 2001
    How many Jedi died on Geonosis? It was in the hundreds, wasn't it??

20. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    hmmm... now do we have it that about 1000 jedi died in the gap between TPM and AOTC or simply there are 1000 less jedi in service at this time... many simply could have retired from active service as they grew older. others could have retired (but not left the order) when dooku left, as they shared his views on the republic's corruption. finally a good chunk could have died from assumed natural causes or workplace attrition, or others might have gotten sidelined through injury, dark side tampering, or whatnot.

considering how effective palpatine's agents can be, one might wonder how many 'natural or accidental deaths' of the jedi might have been actually plotted by the sith.

21. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Are the Jedi that are killed in Geonosis included in your figures?

22. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    The AOTC comic said a hundred Jedi were at Geonosis. But then again, it also had Quinlin Vos there too. It's only a comic, and I'd consider it a draft. Good, but not 100% accurate.

Besides, "200 Jedi at Geonosis" doesn't have to mean they were all in the arena.

A portion of them would have been in space, outisde the arena helping to set up the base of operations. 20 Jedi may have been left, according to the book, but it was a book that lacked a lot of info and details due to the constraints it was penned under.

23. Terranix

Terranix Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 6, 2001
    There were 20k Sith on Ruusan- and they are said to have been numerically superior to the Jedi to begin with.

24. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    20k Sith? How many Jedi were there, then?

25. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    Wasn't it established that Quinlan got drawn away from the main arena "action" and confronted various and sundry other problems "off-camera" once the shenanigans started?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.