main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC Are Jedi/Sith "overpowered"

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by MiWa, Apr 10, 2014.

?

Are Jedi and Sith too powerful?

Poll closed Apr 10, 2015.
  1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MiWa

MiWa Jedi Youngling

Apr 8, 2014
    So, I've been thinking lately...
    I checked out all these force powers Jedi and Sith can use and it seems like they can do ANYTHING. Like, fly, be invisible, teleport, change their looks etc. And even in the movies, they don't have these powers, but still droids etc. have no chance against jedi, because they are so much better in battles. I mean, do you think their powers should be more limited?
    Btw, sorry if this kinda thread is already made.

2. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Only in the micro series are they overpowered

3. DahJediMan

DahJediMan Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 26, 2014
    They seem a bit overpowered to me.

4. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    It seems they are as powerful as the genre allows them to be. I agree that the level of their feats in the animated series, micro-series, and video games (The Force Unleashed and The Old Republic trailers) are much more exaggerated than in the films. The novels and most comics are a good balance though.

5. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Not everyone can wield a Force Storm. And as we found out with Yoda against Palpatine they can burn out their power.

6. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    Dark Empire Palpatine was definitely powerful

7. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    They are overpowered in the EU, but not in the movies.

8. mrdarthdan

mrdarthdan Jedi Master

May 15, 2011
    I think it depends on when certain pieces of fiction and comics were written. Like a lot of the stuff in the Exar Kun story line was(to me, at least) pretty unbelievable. I think sometimes writers can write themselves into a corner and need a device to get their protagonist out of a tight spot. Most of the time it seems that Jedi and sith are fairly well balanced.

One thing that always kind of annoyed me in TCW was when main characters did not use abilities that they used plenty of other times just so that the story can become more dire.

I'd have to say that it's got to be tough to be consistent when writing for inherently powerful characters though, so I have to cut some slack to most SW writers out there.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Iron_lord likes this.
  9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I thought the character Kerra Holt in the Knight Errant novel came across as 'Super Jedi', and for that reason I didn't really care for the book.

10. deadly jp

deadly jp Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 27, 2014
    Starkiller is to op in TFU.

11. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    It's true there are many Force powers Jedi/Sith can learn. But very few are actually powerful enough to learn how to wield more than a handful of them. Super Jedi/Sith are rare. Or at least they should be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.