main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Are Mind Tricks a Jedi technique rather than a Sith one?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by AllAboutThatMace, Oct 26, 2015.

1. AllAboutThatMace

AllAboutThatMace Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 2, 2014
    I was recently reading Marvel's Darth Vader comic, and there's a great scene early on in it where Vader pays a visit to Jabba the Hutt to arrange an arms deal. Jabba gloats that "Jedi mind tricks" won't work on him, to which Vader responds that he isn't a Jedi and has no need for mind tricks, then force chokes Jabba and kills a bunch of his men until Jabba gives in to his demands. Its a very fun scene that serves as a nice callback to Luke in Jabba's Palace in the beginning of RotJ, but it also got me thinking...

In all of the films, and as far as I can think of in all of current canon, I don't think we've ever seen a Sith Lord employ a Jedi mind trick. In the old EU (e.g. KOTOR) they did so, but never in the films, and not really in the current canon that I can think.

This is interesting, because the Jedi we see use mind tricks a lot. Obi-Wan of course famously uses one in Mos Eisley. Luke mind tricks bib fortuna. In the PT, Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan mind trick a bunch of people. Jedi are in fact so known for the technique, that most of the galaxy explicitly call it a "Jedi Mind Trick". This makes a lot of sense, because mind tricks are usually about conflict avoidance. Its not that Obi-Wan can't kill those stormtroopers, but he doesn't want to. We also know that Jedi have no problem whatsoever with lying and deception if it serves a greater good. Even the way that mind tricks affect the brain, making the target more docile and accepting, seems in keeping with Jedi philosophy.

In contrast, none of the Sith we ever see have any reason to even bother with mind tricks. They're either brute force types like Vader and Maul (Opress and Ventress, the two almost-apprentices, also fall into this vein), where if some non force user gets in their way they simply kill them (its worth noting that Vader in the OT actually lies a lot less than Obi-Wan does), or else they're like Palpatine and Dooku, so convinced of their own intellectual superiority that they have no need for mind tricks to manipulate others. Either way, non force users are considered so far beneath the Sith that the notion of spending time and energy to use the force to help you lie to them probably seembeneaththem. For Sith, the Universe has two kinds of people--rival force users who should either be corrupted or destroyed (but can't generally be mind tricked), and non force users who are mostly insignificant and inferior (and therefore not even worth mind tricking). For the Sith, true power lies in hatred and anger, but tapping into your hatred in order to make someone more accepting/believing isn't necessarily an intuitive step. Even a manipulative schemer like Palpatine is never shown tapping into the force to trick non force users like Padme and the other senators, he just lies convincingly regardless.

I'm sure that mind tricking isn't impossible for the Sith--for one thing, many of them are fallen Jedi who presumably remember their old training--but I suspect that for the Sith, performing a mind trick on a non force user is a bit like how a Jedi feels about force choking someone. Its not necessarily that they can't do it if the situation absolutely demands it, but it isn't how they want to be using the force or what their training is focused on.

To sum up, The reason we only ever see Jedi rather than Sith mind tricking people in the films and shows is because "Jedi Mind tricks' really are a Jedi technique rather than a Sith one, because they're about conflict avoidance and involve making people more trusting/accepting, rather than tapping into hatred to dominate and destroy with raw power. Even Sith who lie a lot (like Sidious) don't respect non force users enough to even bother with mind tricks in most cases.

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In the TCW movie, Ventress tries to "mind-trick" Rex into contacting Anakin.

Celidore likes this.
  3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Mind-tricking, while I understand why some find it creepy, is a hell of a lot more "light side" than any tricks the Sith use.

missile likes this.
  4. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    ]Mind-tricking, while I understand why some find it creepy, is a hell of a lot more "light side" than any tricks the Sith use.
    --------------

LOL sure...

"you will do what I say you weak minded fool"

is more light side than

"from my point of view the Jedi and Sith are similar, I have power to save your wife if you're dumb enough to believe me" etc.

5. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yes, it is. I find "from my point of view the Jedi and Sith are similar" along with Palpatine's overt passive-aggressiveness and dishonesty in that scene excessively creepy, albeit not nearly as terrible as electrocuting opponents to death with their bare hands.

6. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    well no denying that,

but in my opinion to say Jedi mind trick is "lighter than XYZ" is not true,

any deceptive use isn't.

7. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015
    I assumed that it was all merely telepathy. Are you guys trying to say that Jedi mind trick is not evil, while the Sith version is? Because I'm a little confused with these "light" and "dark" phrases.

8. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    basically what I'm getting from the conversation is

"everything Jedi do= good"

"everything Sith do= bad"

but then again perceptions vary.

9. Toxic Spider

Toxic Spider Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 20, 2015
    Lies and trickery are the weapons of the Jedi. The Jedi mind trick fits in well with their tendencies.

"A young Jedi named Darth Vader, who was a pupil of mine until he turned to evil, helped the Empire hunt down and destroy the Jedi Knights. He betrayed and murdered your father."

The selectively-revealed and painful truth is the weapon of the Sith.

"No. I am your father."

10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    There is no Sith version.

And the idea that "there is no good and evil, only power" is the way evil characters try to deceive the people they want to recruit (or kill) in many stories.

See also: Harry Potter.

Are we going to go in the Diagon Alley thread or the harrypotter.com forums and find threads that say Harry Potter was just as evil as Voldemort?

Luke used the mind-trick on Bib Fortuna in order to get access to Jabba the Hutt to rescue Han, and no, I do not have a problem with that, certainly less of a problem than I had with Palpatine feeding Anakin a bunch of passive-aggression for the purpose of coercing Anakin to help him kill innocent people.

DaveyWanKenobi and enigmaticjedi like this.
  11. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    Which is worse?

A mind trick or a force choke?

12. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    both are as bad as each other.

Are you guys seriously telling me you wouldn't mind being forced to do something against your own will and there is nothing you can do about it?

Edit: actually you don't need to respond to that question, I've no interest in starting a circular argument with the same people, over the same sort of things. So that theoretical question will be my last post in the thread.

13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    The only person who survived a Force choke in the films were Padme and Motti.

Yes, as someone who already has breathing issues, I will take being mind-tricked over being Force-choked. Any day.

14. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    Alright, I'll bite for one last time...

say you had children (I think you do Anakinfan though I'm not 100 percent certain) and some guy came along and said "you don't love your children" would you NOT say that's equally as bad?

now, I know, I know that if a strong minded person who loved their children was asked that question it wouldn't work. But go with me for the sake of argument.

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't even know what that has to do with anything.

For one, the Jedi are not going to mind-trick anyone into thinking they don't love their children.

For another thing, if that happened in real life, I would say, LOL. Get a hobby.

16. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    The only Jedi that would do that is C'Boath. Because he is crazy.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  17. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    Anakinfan: I knew you wouldn't even try to get the point I was making...so...I'm out :p

Happy debating people.

18. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I wonder if Palpatine mind-tricked Senators. I once read an interesting theory that when Dooku said that Sidious is influencing Senators, the Jedi looked for someone mind-tricking Senators.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  19. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In Labyrinth of Evil, Palpatine mind-tricks Grievous after being abducted.

Arawn_Fenn and darklordoftech like this.
  20. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Also some Gamorreans, and I think what Dooku did to Obi-Wan in ROTS counts as a choke.

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Fair enough, but the rest of my point stands.

22. EntechednReformatted

EntechednReformatted Jedi Master star 2

Oct 17, 2009
    The thing to remember about the Sith is that for all practical purposes, the Sith arts are the Jedi arts. The Sith order was founded by a Jedi, and while the Sith have either developed or appropriated other abilities that the Jedi shun, it's still the Jedi arts that form the basis of a Sith's skills. I have no doubt whatsoever that anything a Jedi can do, a Sith can do.

So why didn't we see Sith employ mind tricks? I think simply because there wasn't really any occasion to. The Jedi mind trick has a major limitation: it only works on the weak-minded. I believe that this is a limitation of the technique itself, rather than a sign that the Jedi or Sith in question simply isn't strong enough with the Force. Only some fraction of the population is ever going to be susceptible to this technique, and it doesn't matter whether it's being performed by a former padawan like Kanan or by a master like Yoda. As long as the technique is executed properly the weak-minded will fall for it, but the strong-minded just won't.

In the six films so far, I just don't remember any particular time when a Sith would have needed to use a mind trick on someone who would fall for it. We only ever see Sith interacting with subordinates who are going to just follow the Sith's orders anyway; or else with the film's heroes, who wouldn't be vulnerable to it. Anakin, Luke, Han, Padme, Leia, Lando, Obi-Wan ... none of them seem particularly weak-minded. So who is it that we think Sidious, Vader, Dooku, or Maul should have tried mind-tricking?

23. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    It really comes down to intent.

24. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    I don't doubt that he did when necessary, but I'm sure he enjoyed it more when he tricked someone to act for him of their own free will.

25. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Palpatine just manipulated the Senate through fear, bribery and treachery. He didn't need to manipulate the minds with the Force. The Jedi only rely on them as a passive and speedy method of getting things done.