main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are moderators above the rules?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Ree Yees, Apr 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ree Yees

Ree Yees Jedi Youngling star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    I have noticed several times that posters get flamed by a certain moderator. I do not wish to report this moderator or anything, but wouldn't you think moderators of all people here should be watching their language? This topic is in no way meant to anger or be offensive, just a friendly reminder that you guys must set the examples.

:)

2. The Bigger Fish

The Bigger Fish Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    :eek:

I don't believe you. :p ;) :D

3. Jotun Denal

Jotun Denal Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
  4. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    No.

Except me. :D

5. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    No, moderators are not above the rules, and they are subject to the same punishment or warning should they break them.

However, vague references and abstract complaints about unnamed violations will not help. If you have specific examples, please provide them. We try hard to make sure the mods abide by the rules, but unless we know what you've seen, there's no way we can approach the subject.

So, if you could, please provide examples. If you don't feel comfortable posting it publicly, please PM me with the examples. If the mod in question is me, feel free to PM either Commander Antilles or NathanDahlin, or any of the other mods.

Vertical

6. yodaboy

yodaboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 5, 2001
    If you name names, then we can protect you and punish the moderator in question.

7. Ree Yees

Apr 6, 2000
    I think I need to clarify this topic a little :) I am not talking about severe flaming. More like sarcastic remarks, stinging comments etc. I don't think there's anything wrong with that - except that I think moderators should ... well... moderate themselves a little :) I do understand, however, that one can get excited (I've been banned several times myself). I mentioned this specific incident since I wanted an answer to the topic's question as well. I hope no moderator feels offended by this. I do not wish to give any names either through a topic like this or through PMs because the moderator I had in mind is really a good moderator who has all my respect. I'm not out to "get" someone or anything. Aw...just forget it. Vertical_Limit answered my question. Just let the topic sink to the bottom of the council ocean.

8. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    I don't have any limits! ;)

Seriously, I agree with the sentiment that mods should avoid 'stinging' comments, as you call them, but if we don't have anything to look at, we can't address the issue with the other mods in general.

I understand your point in not wanting to name names or get anyone in trouble, but without specifics, this thread won't accomplish anything, really.

Vertical

9. GIMER

GIMER Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 15, 2000
    You forgot to add the polling thingy.

I vote no.

10. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Personally, I see nothing wrong with a mod coming out with a zinger every now and then. Lord knows everyone else does it and I usually find them funny.

Please tell me you aren't talking about farraday . . . ;)

11. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Are mods above the rules? No
    Is farraday above the rules? Farraday makes the rules!

12. Ree Yees

Apr 6, 2000
    LOL, I thought it was vertical_limit. Sorry, vertical! :)

Edit: This thread *does* accomplish something, namely a discussion on the fine art of moderating :D

13. Jedi Bib

Jedi Bib Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 16, 2000
    We have rules?

14. Jeremyguy

Jeremyguy Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 1998
    He's probably talking about The Gatherer. That guy rules Lit with an iron fist and a wicked tongue. I think he made Genghis12 cry.

15. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    I think he might be talking about me. I said that someone's sig was stupid because it said that Star Wars died in May, 1999. But come on. that's a stupid statement. :p

If you're not talking about outright flaming but rather sarcastic or biting comments, then you should change the title of your thread because you're not talking about mods following the rules. You're suggesting that mods should be held to a higher standard than the regular members to the point of being extra courteous and non-controversial. I agree with that up to a point but come on, we're still regular people. As long as we don't abuse our power or outright break the rules you should cut us some slack and let us be ourselves. We're not customer care representatives and we're not running for office. We're just members who happen to watch over the place.

So if you see a mod actually flame or swear or something, report it. But don't act like we have to be sweet and friendly all the time. Especially me; I'm basically Chyren's replacement. And you think I'm bad? :eek: :p

16. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    But it IS a stupid comment :)

17. PreacherBoy

PreacherBoy Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 3, 1998
    If you have a problem with how someone posted, the most effective and long-term solution to the problem is talk to them about it.

18. DUSHONI

DUSHONI Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2001
    I think he's talking about me..oh wait...I'm not a mod...just like to flame (j/k)

19. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    The Modsquad Discussing the Gatherer:
      Nathan: With AotC coming out we need to really be on the watch for trolls. Is EU ready, DL?

Darth Ludicrous: Yeah, we're all ready. I've been giving the Gatherer pointers on how to be mean. We set him up with a newbie sock and sent him into The EU Senate as a 13-year-old bible-thumper in love with his first-cousin espousing the virtues of American liberalism. Good god, they were animals over there. But, I think the Gatherer learned some things.

Darth Bane: //snickers.

//The Modsquad eyes Darth Ludicrous quizically, looks to the Gatherer and snickers.

The Gatherer: Come on guys, I can be mean! Honest I can! Look, Kadue pretend like your a troll. I'll take you down. //pumps fist in air.

Kadue: "Look at me, I'm a troll. prances around flailing arms in the air. 4tt4ck of the Clones sucks crap and that Lucas guy sucks crap and these forums suck crap..."

Darth Ludicrous: ...And Star Wars is a train!

Kadue: "...And Star Wars is a train!"

The Gatherer: //Stands up confidently, with chest shoved out and points menacingly at Kadue. Stop troll... You... Y... //puts head in hands and starts sobbing. Alright, I can't do it! I can't be mean!

20. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    LOL GENGHIS!!! That's hilarious!

No, moderators are not above the rules, and they are subject to the same punishment or warning should they break them.

However, vague references and abstract complaints about unnamed violations will not help. If you have specific examples, please provide them. We try hard to make sure the mods abide by the rules, but unless we know what you've seen, there's no way we can approach the subject.

So, if you could, please provide examples. If you don't feel comfortable posting it publicly, please PM me with the examples. If the mod in question is me, feel free to PM either Commander Antilles or NathanDahlin, or any of the other mods.

Vertical

That's completely right. Proof is that farraday locked one of Vertical's thread for being spam.

21. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
  22. Spike_Spiegal

Spike_Spiegal Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 11, 2002
  23. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    HEY!

How'd you get access to the Modsquad?

24. toochilled

toochilled Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 17, 2000
    Vert,

Great. I hope you keep this policy up since, as we all know way too well, it has been issues relating to preferential and derogatory treatment which have caused a good 90% of JC problems in the 18months since I have been here.

Kudos, I hope you stick to your word.

25. Lobot_Omy

Lobot_Omy Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 2001
    But I thought we were above the rules! Wasn't that the whole point?

Seriously, though, mods probably should watch themselves carefully and at least try to restrain themselves. Although, I probably shouldn't be talking, sometimes I also give off a little steam, when closing redundant threads for example.

Maybe I should just come up with a catch-phrase, that's short and witty and not as insulting, like "That's the end of that chapter."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.