main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are Mods actually paid by the number of threads they close and people they ban?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by DARTH_MU, Aug 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Just a question, I think it's relevant.

I noticed that a lot of threads get closed and sometimes even deleted. Sometimes they weren't even victims of the mods who were responsible for a particular board. e.g. In Fanfic the following mods are listed: JediTrace, The Face, VaderLVR, and JadeSolo.
    Yet, the other day I opened a temporary social thread (because the normal one was closed down because it reached 400 pages), and NYCityGirl, a mod from somewhere else closed it. Now I can understand if a temp social thread should be closed if a new, mod organized one came out. The problem is that, as of now, no Fanfic resource mod has opened a new thread. IMO NYCityGirl closed the thread too soon. What's the rush?

The above is only one instance where I feel certain mods are actually doing things out of their jurisdiction, almost like a volley ball coach calling long distance the basketball referee how to do his job.

Now, onto banning people, yes I realize that sometimes people do step out of the line, but sometimes people get banned without knowing why. No warning at all. One moment you are reading fanfic, the next something comes up and tell you you are banned. Okay, accidents do happen, fine.

What's worse is that sometimes you know why you were banned. One time I got banned because I said in Lit that Luke should have married Callista. Ouch, people just read Sacrifice and were sad about Mara. I know you are going to say oooh you should'nt have spoiled Sacrifice, but the post was made after almost three months since Sacrifice's publication.

Another time I was discussing with certain people about copyrights, and my views were opposed to that of a certain mod, and boom, I got banned. I'm not sure what happened, the ban got lifted after a month or something. They try to pass that off as an accident, but who are they kidding?

And then you get warnings and threats about banning because you 'baited' people.

What the heck is baiting?

Are we only allowed to agree with mods, with no rights to form opinions of our own? What's worse is a certain minority of ex mods who thinks they have the same power as mods (unfortunately, it seems that they often do, and abuse what they have). It goes without saying that if your opinions conflict with theirs, they PM a mod, who attempt to have a little talk with you.

From the above, I get the impression that certain mods are also ban happy.

Okay, we have a New sexual harassment policy, all well and good. Now how about a new baiting policy? I think we need to destroy that clause about no baiting. It just serves as an excuse for power abusing mods and their influential friends to ban people whom they do not like.

I do know that the next step to baiting is flaming, which I am not condoning. But let's face it, it takes two to start a flame war. Say the following scenarios:

Scenario A
    A: Corellia is the best, baits B.
    B: ignores B's bait, no, Corellia is not the best, because...

contrast:

Scenario B
    A: Corellia is the best, baits B
    B: No, Corellia sucks, and Coruscant fjsdlfjsfjs Corellia's dsfsdlfjsf.

scenario C
    A: Corellia is the best, because blah.
    B: Corellia is not the best, Coruscant is, because ....
    A: No, you were wrong, you should read the book again, if you don't own that book, Amazon have a good deal...
    B: OMG, BAITING! Reports to mod.
    B to Mod, A just baited me, trying to start a flame war!
    mod: meh, bans A.

GK edit: If you have a specific complaint, please let us know. If you read the rules of the JC, and still have questions, we can answer those.

2. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    NYCityGurl is actually Manager for the NSWFF board, which is still Fan Fiction. Although maybe not the exact board, it's still in the same area. Also, for the social thread, they have to allow time to construct another original idea; Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither is a social thread. They have to be carefully planned out so that they work.

Opinions are fine, but when you start saying things that are derogatory towards someone else or their opinions, then that it baiting them. Also, jabbing at someone with malicious intent would be baiting/flaming.

I hope this helps. :)

3. jedichef1

jedichef1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2004
    No they don't get paid by the ban, lol.

As for your complaint social threads have to be approved in the majority of forums so yours was probably right to be locked and as pointed out NYGurl is a manager of fiction so had the right and even if she was not if there are no mods around and she knows the ins and outs of how the forum is run she is more than allowed to lock a thread.

As for being able to argue with mods, of course you are you just have to go about it in the correct manner, which normally starts with conversation via pm with the mod in question. If this does not resolve your issues pm and admin or follow he user/mod complaint process as set out in the rules forum.

4. Andalite-Bandit

Andalite-Bandit Jedi Padawan star 6

Apr 25, 2005
    GK edit: no more spamming or baiting in here.

5. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Wait though, where does their commissions come in?

6. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Your little social thread is not the first of its kind. Once every social thread or so, someone will forget to read the notice from the mods that the new one will be opened by a mod and to not have interim ones. I've seen it multiple times and they're not picking on you. And it's not that out of the ordinary for mods to help each other because no one mod can police everything.

7. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    That's why the larger forums have more than one; they help each other out.

8. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    There's a little note just above that "Post Reply" button that says that by posting, you agree to the board's Terms Of Service. The TOS states that you agree to follow the rules of the particular forum you are posting in. If you don't know what baiting is or don't understand why you were banned, it might be beneficial to you to read your forum's rules.

9. TrulyGhent

TrulyGhent Jedi Master star 4

Jun 29, 2007
    GK edit: nope.

10. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    GK edit: nope.

[face_laugh]

Mu, it's well known in fanfic that once the fanfic social thread reaches 10000 posts, it is closed and another one is opened by the mods. There are reasons why it is done this way - mostly history and some unpleasantness - but we all pretty much know that another social thread would be opened in a day or so.

As for the banning issue, you might want to reread the rules a bit. Sometimes they change or clarify things. I reread them occasionally myself just to make sure I understand the rules.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.