main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are Movie Novels Cannon?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by YoungPadawanLearner, Jul 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fite2Unite

Fite2Unite Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2002
    *loads cannon with heavy black ball and prepares to fire*
    "Shiver me timbers matey, Ill show ye what a real cannon is! ahhrrrr..."

2. YoungPadawanLearner

YoungPadawanLearner Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 7, 2002
    Look UP in the sky!

3. BIG_BEN

BIG_BEN Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2002
    They are canon (not cannon) insofar as they don't contradict the movies.

4. Fite2Unite

May 28, 2002
    Aces and Eights a dead man's hand,
    Aces and Eights I think I'll stand.
    Ahhhrrrr...ye scurvy scallywags.

5. kenobikenobi

kenobikenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 8, 2002
    arg...im kenobikenobi and im a MIGHTY pirate. ARG. How be ye mighty pirates? arg. Fearsome pirates read movie novels because they shiver yer timbers. arg now all ye scurvy dogs hit the decks or i'll sic polly on you...arg.

6. Fite2Unite

May 28, 2002
    Offa the poop deck and onto the plank with ye BIG_BEN, Ye cant spell Cannon, so ye shall walk the plank....arrrrrhhh.

7. kenobikenobi

kenobikenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 8, 2002
    ARG!

YOU SCURVY DOGS FIGHT LIKE A DAIRY FAMER!

arg...

8. YoungPadawanLearner

Jul 7, 2002
    Are there Canon Novels about Space Pitates?

*attemts to revive thread*

9. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    Maybe canon novels about space pirates with cannons who smuggle spice, which is really a drug, because the worm is the spice, and it's from Kessel, which has a run that can be made in 12 parsecs, unless it goes through the Maw, where the Death Star that was designed by Rath Seinar, Tarkin, the Geonosians, Bevel Leminsk, Admiral Daala, and Wicket W. Warrick was built, and later destroyed Alderaan with its giant cannon.

Well, that was interesting.

As to the topic, or what's left of it, I think most purists (of which I am one) will agree that novelizations are canon insomuch as they do not contradict the movies (Owen being Obi-Wan's brother, etc.) The EU canon debate is something best left undelved-into. And the fact that LFL considers the Holiday Special part of "official continuity" scares the living daylights out of me.

10. EvilEmperorJohn

EvilEmperorJohn Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 2, 2002
    I'm new to this experience, so bare with me on this. One of the things I don't understand, and maybe someone can explain, is why people care so much what's canon and what's not. That being said, here's my opinion:

I think that the movie novelizations ARE canon because:

A.) they are primarily based on the final screenplay before or after production (given that the last two novelizations came out before the movies would imply this) and

B.) they are done within the boundaries of the movie and under the ultimate creative supervision of GL and LucasFilm/Books. <p>I personally like to read the novelizations because it fills in all the details that GL didn't have time to put into the movie or gives you more insight into the story. A good example of this is in Timothy Zahn's novelization of ROTJ, a little bit of the history of Vader and Palpatine is revealed (and this was written long before ANY prequel ideas were in the making). <p>That's just my 2 credits worth of opinion on the movie novelizations.

If anyone wants, they can send me an answer to my above question in PM instead of in the thread (as to not arouse any hostility among the rabble).

Thanks for listening (er, or reading, that is). :)

11. YoungPadawanLearner

Jul 7, 2002
    Just What is this Holiday Special I have heard so many bad things about? Is it true there is a 20 minute talk between Chewie and his family in Wookie-ese?

12. YoungPadawanLearner

Jul 7, 2002
    Any one want to help me with this question?

13. YoungPadawanLearner

Jul 7, 2002
    Can someone please answear me?

14. Commander Antilles

Commander Antilles Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 21, 1999
    The Holiday Special was a TV show filmed in 1978, detailing Han and Chewie's attempt to get back to Kashyyyk for Chewie to see his families and to take part in the Wookiee Life Day ceremonies.
    Before you go looking for a copy, I'll give you a word of advice: AVOID.
    It features Mark Hamill in extremely heavy makeup to hide the scars from his car accident, Carrie Fisher singing (incredibly badly), dodgy Seventies bands, Harvey Korman and Bea Arthur, and Chewie's family, an unholy cross of Jar Jar Binks and the Ewoks.
    George Lucas has gone on record as saying he'd like to personally destroy every copy in existence with a sledgehammer, and allegedly brought and destroyed the negative back in the 80s.
    Generally, it's only redeeming point is considered to be the first appearance of Boba Fett in a short animated cartoon.

And if you want to know more, try here

15. YoungPadawanLearner

Jul 7, 2002
    Finally! a responce! From the way you describe it, it sounds like something to watch when in need of a desprate laugh.

16. Master-Jedi-Smith

Master-Jedi-Smith Jedi Padawan star 4

May 26, 2002
    Nice job Commander! :D

To the Commander you listen to my YoungPadawanLearner! ;)

Latre! :D

17. YoungPadawanLearner

Jul 7, 2002
    I got intrested in it when I heared about it being the first apprence of Boba Fett.

18. YoungPadawanLearner

Jul 7, 2002
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.