main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are NJO Novels Felicitously Titled?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Valyn, Mar 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    "I personally like having a title be kinda ambigous and making one think about the relationship between the title and the storyline. To me it gives the book more of an edge to it."

I can understand that. I, too, appreciate ambiguity, but I like having a title with an obvious relation to the context of the story just so that, maybe, if I misinterpret something in the story, I might be able to consider the title and realize what I've missed.

I wanted to elaborate on this more, but my mind suddenly went utterly blank. Must be because it's 6:27am... :)

2. I-poodoo

I-poodoo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2001
    "From my point of view it just lessens the book/movie/whatever if the title just screams out a big plot in the title."

I don't mind it so much, Errant_Venture, If it's done right it should heighten the overall reading experience, without giving away the punch of the story.
    IMO the title should be a clue to the main plot, yet not let the cat out of the bag (same with book covers). There needs to be a balance between ambiguity and bluntness in the title.
    Bluntness in that once you read the story the title will be quite clear to you in what it's about, but ambiguous enough not to spill the beans before reading the story.

Darn! Give me some time and I'll think of some examples of this.
    My head hurts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.